Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Urinal - over enthusiastic flush

For many years the gents toilet cistern was set to a trickle at Church
(to save water) to the degree it probably never spluttered into life.

Having responded to complaints of the smell, I have fitted a water miser
thingy which flushes when people use the toilet - great, smell has gone
away!

However, we now have puddles on the floor from one of the two urinals.
First thoughts was the trap at the bottom, so removed, cleaned up,
resealed, etc. (I get all the nice jobs)

Still puddles!

After watching a flush with a bucket under the trap, I noticed that
there was no leak for the first half of the flush and then "lots" of
water. Examination showed this was when the syphon got going really well
the water coming out of the flush bit (don't know the technical term)
was powerful enough to get over the sides of the porcelain. Under the
outlet there is a slit - looks a bit like a smiley face - where the
water comes out. Applying a bit of insulating tape to the ends solved
the problem on a temporary basis, but I need to make a more permanent
fix.

Can anyone suggest a suitable glue, metal putty or whatever which would
stick into the slot in the metal and stay even with the pressure of the
water?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John saying
something like:

Can anyone suggest a suitable glue, metal putty or whatever which would
stick into the slot in the metal and stay even with the pressure of the
water?

Put a restrictor in the flush pipe.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

radweld for car radiators
stops hot water under pressure.

or chemical metal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember John saying
something like:

Can anyone suggest a suitable glue, metal putty or whatever which would
stick into the slot in the metal and stay even with the pressure of the
water?

Put a restrictor in the flush pipe.

I had thought of that, but it is plated pipe and I don't really want to
disturb it. However, it does sound like a good option.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , George (dicegeorge)
writes
radweld for car radiators
stops hot water under pressure.

or chemical metal?

Chemical metal sounds good - car repair shop?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Can anyone suggest a suitable glue, metal putty or whatever which would
stick into the slot in the metal and stay even with the pressure of the
water?

Those two part leak sealing epoxy putties would do the trick - DIY sheds
sell it in short strips of two colours where you tear off a bit and mix
it until uniform in colour. Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and
sets hard.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
[...]

Doesn't seem the right approach at all. If you do anything to the nozzle
(for want of a better word) you will disrupt the pattern of flow over
the porcelain. So you could end up not washing down some areas but still
having an excess flow over others. And if you make that adjustment with
something like epoxy putty it could be very difficult to remove/adjust
in future (if it doesn't quite work).

I agree that you need to do something about the absolute flow from the
cistern.

--
Rod

onset.

Urinal James[_4_] UK diy 63 January 12th 08 12:19 PM
Try upseting the tent's enthusiastic transmission and Mitch will include you! Woody J. Robeck-Panarello Electronics Repair 0 December 10th 07 01:13 AM
Penny in a Urinal [email protected] Home Repair 23 October 25th 07 12:58 PM
How do urinal cisterns work? Tim Dorrington UK diy 68 December 3rd 04 11:01 AM