Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grouting travertine wall tiles

Is there a neat way to do this without getting the grout into the
holes in the tiles? I plan to seal them before fixing them but I still
think the grout could be a problem.

Thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Is there a neat way to do this without getting the grout into the
holes in the tiles? I plan to seal them before fixing them but I still
think the grout could be a problem

You have to point them up a bit like brickwork. Takes a while but looks
better than grout smudged all over the surface as per tile showroom
displays.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 25, 9:55*am, Jonathan wrote:
Is there a neat way to do this without getting the grout into the
holes in the tiles? I plan to seal them before fixing them but I still
think the grout could be a problem.

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan
I had to do the same job for an insistent customer ,
found the best way was with a cheap icing gun , like mum used for her
cakes , apply the grout and smooth with your finger . tedious but it
worked .

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-25 09:55:34 +0000, Jonathan said:

Is there a neat way to do this without getting the grout into the
holes in the tiles? I plan to seal them before fixing them but I still
think the grout could be a problem.

Thanks

Jonathan

Yes.

First treat the tiles with one coat of Lithofin MN Stainstop. This
will not wreck the apearance of the tiles by making them look glossy,
but will protect the surfaces for wiping off of any stray grout. Wipe
off any excess sealer (v. important) andleave for 24hrs per the
instructions.

Use a good quality grout in powder form from a manufacturer such as
Ardex or possibly BAL with a long open time. Both have good technical
departments with good advice. Don't use readymix grout or anything
that sets quickly - you may need the time for cleanup. There are
fine grouts which tend to be used wth polished tiles and fine 2-3mm
joints. There are also coarser, sandy grouts for wider joints and for
non-smooth tiles. Considering that this is tiles with rough surface,
probably the coarser grout would look better.

I've used a large syringe for applying grout in this applicaton and
have also used wide masking tape, cutting at each joint junction with a
scalpel. Doing about 1sqm at a time works well and one can sponge off
about 4sqm with a long open time grout.

Finally, apply further coat of MN Stainstop.

Sealing travertine tiles [email protected] UK diy 3 November 5th 07 04:25 PM
Travertine Mosaic Tiles AJ UK diy 5 October 8th 07 09:54 AM
Cutting Travertine Tiles Andy UK diy 5 November 3rd 05 06:08 PM
Polishing Travertine Tiles [email protected] UK diy 2 September 22nd 05 02:06 PM
Grouting Travertine Tiles? mark b UK diy 7 May 5th 05 01:35 PM