Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange taps

Fitted some basin taps for a customer, couldn't get a tap connector flexible
or otherwise to seal on the hot. Nut would do up tight but the washer
wasn't meeting the seat & the flexible could turn.

He'd bought them from our local 'proper' plumbers merchant not one of the
sheds. I returned it & the hot tap in the new set was the same, but the
cold was again fine.

Ended up using the body of the cold & the bits from the hot to build a new
tap.

Looked at the thread with a magnifying glass, seemed perfect.

Could it have been thicker plating on the hot?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Fitted some basin taps for a customer, couldn't get a tap connector
flexible or otherwise to seal on the hot. Nut would do up tight but
the washer wasn't meeting the seat & the flexible could turn.

He'd bought them from our local 'proper' plumbers merchant not one of
the sheds. I returned it & the hot tap in the new set was the same,
but the cold was again fine.

Ended up using the body of the cold & the bits from the hot to build
a new tap.

Looked at the thread with a magnifying glass, seemed perfect.

Could it have been thicker plating on the hot?

A tap connector usually has a little spigot which stands proud of the
washer, and needs to fit into a recess in the tap. If the tap doesn't have a
recess - or it isn't deep enough, the spigot bottoms on the tap leaving the
washer floating instead of being compressed. I've had one or two cases where
I've had to file off part or all of the spigot to get it to seal.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I've come across that as well Roger, but it wasn't the case in this
instance. The nut stopped turning before the spigot entered the recess.
Very odd.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Tub Taps jim Home Repair 12 January 24th 08 06:12 PM
The Reason Hot Taps Are On The Left And Cold Taps Are On The Right ARWadsworth UK diy 29 November 1st 07 10:53 AM
Strange Taps The Medway Handyman UK diy 43 March 29th 07 05:41 PM
Taps F UK diy 9 June 29th 06 10:13 AM
Best taps Colin Swan UK diy 1 November 18th 04 10:10 AM