Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Custom Laminate

I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/digital.html which
is pretty much exactly what we want.)

But I wondered if there were any DIY ways of achieving a similar result?
E.g. print the design and stick it onto existing laminate using crystal
clear polyester resin. Partner is a bit good at designing patterns and
it would be rather nice to use some of her designs in the kitchen.

Has anyone ever tried? Any pointers?

Failing that, any suggestions of other companies that might offer
similar services to that of Formica so that I can compare their
offerings/prices?
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/digital.html which is
pretty much exactly what we want.)

But I wondered if there were any DIY ways of achieving a similar result?
E.g. print the design and stick it onto existing laminate using crystal
clear polyester resin. Partner is a bit good at designing patterns and it
would be rather nice to use some of her designs in the kitchen.

Has anyone ever tried? Any pointers?

A friend of mine used to do that professionally. However, the designs were
printed on fabric (you can get art canvas for inkjet printers) and she did
it the other way around. A clear gel-coat resin was applied to a
mirror-smooth former, which had been treated with release agent. The fabric
was then stippled into the gel-coat and layers of glass reinforced plastic
applied to the back of that.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

:-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica� Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

:-(

No idea why. I have just re-checked that link (copied from my newsreader
to make sure I picked up what you saw) in IE7 and Firefox and Safari
(under Windows XP) and had earlier passed it on to partner (Safari OSX
Leopard). All worked without any problems.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica? Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

:-(

No idea why. I have just re-checked that link (copied from my newsreader
to make sure I picked up what you saw) in IE7 and Firefox and Safari
(under Windows XP) and had earlier passed it on to partner (Safari OSX
Leopard). All worked without any problems.

I'll try again, c&p instead of clicking.

Mary

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Rod" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica? Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

:-(

No idea why. I have just re-checked that link (copied from my newsreader
to make sure I picked up what you saw) in IE7 and Firefox and Safari
(under Windows XP) and had earlier passed it on to partner (Safari OSX
Leopard). All worked without any problems.

I'll try again, c&p instead of clicking.

Yup, that worked. I'll peruse it later, thanks,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:27:59 +0000, Rod wrote:

http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

No idea why.

Windows Server 2003 probably has something to do with it. Works well
enough until someone publishes a URL on usenet, the load sky rockets and
the server falls over...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:27:59 +0000, Rod wrote:

http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

No idea why.

Windows Server 2003 probably has something to do with it. Works well
enough until someone publishes a URL on usenet, the load sky rockets and
the server falls over...

Wrong, it was my fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:27:59 +0000, Rod wrote:

http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html
Internal Server Error

No idea why.

Windows Server 2003 probably has something to do with it. Works well
enough until someone publishes a URL on usenet, the load sky rockets and
the server falls over...

I can't believe that many people followed the link I posted.

The one I am waiting for is the publication of the Vista SP1 URL... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:26:36 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Internal Server Error

No idea why.

Windows Server 2003

Wrong, it was my fault.

Can't think that just following a link will cause the remote server to
generate an "Internal Server Error". Munging such a simple URL (ie it
doesn't have a query string or similar) should just produce a "404 - Page
not found" message.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 7:27*am, Rod wrote:
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/digital.html which
is pretty much exactly what we want.)

How many square km do you need to order?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 17, 7:27 am, Rod wrote:
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/digital.html which
is pretty much exactly what we want.)

How many square km do you need to order?

MBQ

A few square feet!! The amount depends on the price - as the price will
inevitably depend on the amount. :-) Say at most enough for 6 metres of
worktop.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Colin - I didn't want to hear that - can't stand the smell of
polyester resin. :-( But thanks - it might work.

We did have some inside contacts a few years ago as inkjet printable
fabrics became available. Even got a few samples.

(Someone I knew used PVA over printed canvas to make floor coverings.
Layer upon layer upon layer.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 18, 3:29*pm, Rod wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 17, 7:27 am, Rod wrote:
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/digital.html which
is pretty much exactly what we want.)

How many square km do you need to order?

MBQ

A few square feet!! The amount depends on the price - as the price will
inevitably depend on the amount. :-) Say at most enough for 6 metres of
worktop.

No, I meant what's the minimum order from Formica digital, not how
much *you* need. Looking at that website I doubt they'll take orders
from Joe public for one kitchen's worth.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 18, 3:29 pm, Rod wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 17, 7:27 am, Rod wrote:
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/digital.html which
is pretty much exactly what we want.)
How many square km do you need to order?
MBQ

A few square feet!! The amount depends on the price - as the price will
inevitably depend on the amount. :-) Say at most enough for 6 metres of
worktop.

No, I meant what's the minimum order from Formica digital, not how
much *you* need. Looking at that website I doubt they'll take orders
from Joe public for one kitchen's worth.

MBQ

Ha! - I am awaiting a response to my email - I got an interim
out-of-office response.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:26:36 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Internal Server Error

No idea why.

Windows Server 2003

Wrong, it was my fault.

Can't think that just following a link will cause the remote server to
generate an "Internal Server Error". Munging such a simple URL (ie it
doesn't have a query string or similar) should just produce a "404 - Page
not found" message.

I haven't said what I did.

People are too keen to blame Microsoft or Windows for all the ills of the
computer world, it seems to me. It hasn't been my experience.

Sits back and waits for barrage ... which I shan't see.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:15:40 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with
your own design. (Even found Formica Digital at
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...e/digital.html

Internal Server Error

:-(

So, it's broken then. Nothing you do should, under any circumstances,
cause that.

http://www.diybanter.com