Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall ??

Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall
(no cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill

4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dutchman writes:
Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall
(no cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill

4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill

Depends how hard the bricks are, and what access you have.

There's also:

5 - Take out whole bricks (drill out mortar) so you can slide
a 4" pipe through, and then cut and refit bricks around the
pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dutchman" wrote in message
Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall
(no cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill

4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill

I have used technique.
Took about 2 hours.
Cost - depends on what you have.

I used :- 1/2 inch 18 inch long TCT masonry bit (about a tenner), hammer
drill, hammer, chisel, bucket and a ladder to put an extraction vent in for
our ensuite upstairs.

Put a pilot hole through from inside to outside first, at the circle centre,
so you can work from both sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dutchman wrote:

Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall
(no cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill

4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill

You don't state the altitude of this hole. I certainly wouldn't want to use
a core drill if standing on a ladder!

Unless it's essential to drill a very neat hole, the best bet is a ring of
small holes, and then a chissel. As someone else has said, drill a pilot
hole right through the middle first, then mark out your circle on both sides
of the wall and drill the small holes from both sides.

It's best to use an SDS drill if you have access to one. It can also do the
chisselling if it has a rotation stop. If you're careful you should end up
with a reasonably neat hole - with any irregularities being covered up by
the flange of an extractor flap or whatever.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dutchman wrote:
Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall
(no cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

Cheap but will take a while

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

It might

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill
4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill

Depends on your hand drill. Something with 800W (ish) or more might
manage if you take it easily. You really need something with a safety
clutch though.

5 - go hire a proper core drill and a machine to turn it. If it is at
height, then drill from the inside.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dutchman" wrote in message
Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall
(no cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill

4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill

and if drilling from inside to ouside on hammer action watch out for surface
spalling on breakthrough.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:48:22 +0000, dutchman wrote:

Whats the easiest way to drill a 4 inch hole thru double brick wall (no
cavity but hard bricks) and costs involved ??.

1 - A ring of small holes and then hammer and chisel

2 - TCT core drill - would this last

3 - Diamond core drill (wet) - can I use normal hand drill

4 - Diamond core drill (dry) - can I use normal hand drill

The easiest is probably the wet diamond, but as with all things there one
(ease of use) more than one factor at stake.

1. requires least kit, will have the scruffiest result.
2-4. Require a good mains drill (not necessarily SDS), with torque
limiting clutch.
2. is Noisiest, and likely dustiest, and the bits don't last more than
few holes.
3. Will be by far the messiest.

Is noisy and requires the a mains drill with a