Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Fire Doors

A friend of mine has a new build house and has just had carpets fitted and
three doors cannot be shut due to the bottom of the door catching on the
carpets. The doors a 6 panel hollow type but are fire doors. He can see
the 'fire strip' on the sides and top but doesn't think (from what he can
feel) there is a strip on the bottom face. He doesn't want to take them off
until I get there next week!! Is there likely to be a fire strip on the
bottom edge and if so, can the doors still be trimmed (building regs)? I
presume so otherwise everybody that has them wouldn't be able to close them
after having carpets fitted! Presuming they have the stips is there
anything I should be pre warned about or can I trim with a saw etc. as I
would on a 'normal' door?

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Hello John

You will not find the intumescent (fire) strip on the bottom of the door so
you would be able to saw or plane in the usual way.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

*You will not find the intumescent (fire) strip on the bottom of the door so
you would be able to saw or plane in the usual way.- Hide quoted text -

Yes but be careful the strips in the vertical edges aren't in a metal
housing.
Also be ready for the weight when you take a fire door off. They're
heavy.

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
A friend of mine has a new build house and has just had carpets fitted and
three doors cannot be shut due to the bottom of the door catching on the
carpets. The doors a 6 panel hollow type but are fire doors. He can see
the 'fire strip' on the sides and top but doesn't think (from what he can
feel) there is a strip on the bottom face. He doesn't want to take them off
until I get there next week!! Is there likely to be a fire strip on the
bottom edge and if so, can the doors still be trimmed (building regs)? I

No strip on the bottom, and often none at the sides either

(you can avoid the need for side strips if the door stops on the frame
are at least 25mm deep).

The door should be trimmable in the normal way.

after having carpets fitted! Presuming they have the stips is there
anything I should be pre warned about or can I trim with a saw etc. as I
would on a 'normal' door?

They are 'kin heavy!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 03:32:55 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, John Rumm
randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

No strip on the bottom, and often none at the sides either

(you can avoid the need for side strips if the door stops on the frame
are at least 25mm deep).

No longer the case. The old 1" door stops do not contribute to the
fire resistance of the door due to the different way fire doors are
now tested.

The requirement within dwellings is for a 20-minute fire resisting
door. Some BCOs will accept an FD30 door without intumescent strips
as an FD20, but strictly speaking, unless a door has been tested to
BS476: Part 22 (1987), no period of fire resistance can be guaranteed.
Very few, if any, manufacturers will test their doors without an
intumescent strip to 20 minutes (it's expensive, and the market for
FD30 doors is greater, so why waste money testing a door to 20
minutes).
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:

No longer the case. The old 1" door stops do not contribute to the
fire resistance of the door due to the different way fire doors are
now tested.

Does that mean that if you fit FD30 doors you no longer need to use 1"
stops? Or do you need a FD certified frame as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:53:55 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, John Rumm

Hugo Nebula wrote:

No longer the case. The old 1" door stops do not contribute to the
fire resistance of the door due to the different way fire doors are
now tested.

Does that mean that if you fit FD30 doors you no longer need to use 1"
stops? Or do you need a FD certified frame as well.

1) Correct; you no longer need to use 1" door stops; AND
2) The door and frame come as one tested item; mixing and matching may
invalidate the test.

Googled this morning and found this site:
http://www.firesafe.org.uk/html/fsequip/firedoor.htm
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Self-Closers on Fire Doors [email protected] UK diy 4 November 25th 06 11:20 AM
Fire doors [email protected] UK diy 5 August 30th 06 03:44 PM
Fire Doors SidKnee UK diy 24 April 14th 05 12:44 AM
Question about fire doors Dave UK diy 4 October 5th 04 08:52 PM