Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood preserver question?

New timber is supplied "yellow" with some sort of wood
preserver. Does anyone know what the preserver is
protection against? Is it against wet rot? Does it protect
against wood boring insects such as wood worm?

I've got a huge drum of a chemical spray that is
specifically for treating and protecting timber against
wood boring insects. Do I need to spray the new "yellow"
timber with this stuff too? Note that we share the house
with lots of woodworm and they would enjoy some new timber
to munch on. I don't want to waste the preserver though if
the wood is already protected as it is quite expensive - it
is also a stinky horrible job to apply it.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Mar, 16:40, David in Normandy wrote:
New timber is supplied "yellow" with some sort of wood
preserver. Does anyone know what the preserver is
protection against? Is it against wet rot? Does it protect
against wood boring insects such as wood worm?

I've got a huge drum of a chemical spray that is
specifically for treating and protecting timber against
wood boring insects. Do I need to spray the new "yellow"
timber with this stuff too? Note that we share the house
with lots of woodworm and they would enjoy some new timber
to munch on. I don't want to waste the preserver though if
the wood is already protected as it is quite expensive - it
is also a stinky horrible job to apply it.
--
David in Normandy. * *
*To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
*subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.

David
I am not familiar with French preservatives but in the UK there is not
to my knowledge any naturally yellow active ingredient so I suspect
any yellow colour is a dye.
The equivalent of the Coshh and Copr Regs applies in France
(notionally!) and so I would simply ask the French suppliers for the
process and material and then send me the information whereupon I can
find out for you its likely efficacy as by law all preservatives are
now (in theory) determined by efficacy data!
FWIIW I would use my own fluid regardless then I would not be reliant
on others alleging they have treated it!
If it is a stinky job applying the preservative - the chances are you
have an inferior product as a WW preservative nowadays in the UK can
be water based and have absolutely no smell. One of the problems of
using this stuff commercially is that the client suspects it has not
been treated!
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
New timber is supplied "yellow" with some sort of wood
preserver. Does anyone know what the preserver is
protection against? Is it against wet rot? Does it protect
against wood boring insects such as wood worm?

I've got a huge drum of a chemical spray that is
specifically for treating and protecting timber against
wood boring insects. Do I need to spray the new "yellow"
timber with this stuff too? Note that we share the house
with lots of woodworm and they would enjoy some new timber
to munch on. I don't want to waste the preserver though if
the wood is already protected as it is quite expensive - it
is also a stinky horrible job to apply it.

I've only seen this colour of preservation in France not UK.
Most NF (equiv to BSI) marked wooden products seem to come ready
finished with this durable finish but I don' know what it is.

Have a look round in the local brico. They often have pictures of the
relevant bugs on the cans of preservatives.

hth

Bob

PS remember not to ask for preservatives down at the brico - you might
get very strange looks LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PS remember not to ask for preservatives down at the brico - you might get
very strange looks LOL

ROFL! they sell almost everything else though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
New timber is supplied "yellow" with some sort of wood
preserver. Does anyone know what the preserver is
protection against? Is it against wet rot? Does it protect
against wood boring insects such as wood worm?

I've got a huge drum of a chemical spray that is
specifically for treating and protecting timber against
wood boring insects. Do I need to spray the new "yellow"
timber with this stuff too? Note that we share the house
with lots of woodworm and they would enjoy some new timber
to munch on. I don't want to waste the preserver though if
the wood is already protected as it is quite expensive - it
is also a stinky horrible job to apply it.

Sounds like the same stuff being used for general house building framing and
the like since a couple of years at least in the UK. If I'm reading your
description correctly it is likely to be "Vacsol Aqua"
http://tinyurl.com/ywog86

Bright yellow/orange on the outter surface but almost natural colour within.

--
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grandmother and eggs - I guess you may know this already...but AIUI
modern wood preservatives are typically either borate based or CCA
(Copper/Chrome/Arsenic) - known as tanalised - or more recently
tanalith (which I think dispenses with or reduces the arsenic
content). Both types require deep penetration, either by soaking by
immersion, or better still by pressure treatment for maximum effect.
Given the regulatory environment, I'd expect France to be using much
the same stuff.

The wisdom I hear is that any coating or treatment works to some
extent against woodworm - they don't like to munch through any sort of
coating or treatment.

Much info he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_treatment
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil says...

[...]

That sounds like the stuff! Bright yellow. Natural colour
within. According to the website you mention it is for
medium protection against insects.

I've just had a word with a local joiner too. He says it is
protection against worm but it doesn't penetrate very far
into the wood and he advises me to treat any cut ends.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not keen on nasty
chemicals but sometimes they are the better of the evils.
At least at this rate I can keep application to a minimum
but still get good protection.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin says...
PS remember not to ask for preservatives down at the brico - you might
get very strange looks LOL

They are getting used to my bad French at the Brico. I once
bought 16 fencing stakes - the lady at the checkout asked
me how many I'd got. My mind went blank. I'd forgotten 16
was "seize". Logic went thus 18 is dix-huit, 17 is dix-sept
so therefore 16 must be dix-six. So I said "J'ai dix-six".
I got a very strange look - then she counted the stakes her
self. In retrospect I think I told her that "I had died".

--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
New timber is supplied "yellow" with some sort of wood
preserver. Does anyone know what the preserver is
protection against? Is it against wet rot? Does it protect
against wood boring insects such as wood worm?

Funny that, this week I got some 3 x 3 fence posts from Wickes which were
yellowish. Previously they have been greeny brown. Customer asked if they
were treated. You could see heavy specs of green chemical residue, so they
must have been. The colour has definately changed though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk