Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shed preserver help needed

I bought this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170470
to put on my shed. Unfortunately it will not "stick". The shed has
previously been painted (some 5 years ago) with a green preserver of unknown
make that is repelling this new preserver. Any ideas of a shed treatment
that will go over this green stuff.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
I bought this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170470
to put on my shed. Unfortunately it will not "stick". The shed has
previously been painted (some 5 years ago) with a green preserver of
unknown make that is repelling this new preserver. Any ideas of a shed
treatment that will go over this green stuff.

Adam

I have just used B & Q's own brand Timbercare fence and shed treatment and
can't imagine it not drying on anything. It has dried fine on wood
previously treated with a waxy water-repellent preservative.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-17 10:46:52 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

I bought this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170470
to put on my shed. Unfortunately it will not "stick". The shed has
previously been painted (some 5 years ago) with a green preserver of
unknown make that is repelling this new preserver. Any ideas of a shed
treatment that will go over this green stuff.

Adam

Is the new one water based? It doesn't say on the web site as far as I
could see but most in sheds now seem to be. The problem is using
a water based preservative on top of a previously applied water
repellant one.

You could try a solvent one like Cuprinol Wood Preserver after rubbing
down the wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-17 10:46:52 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

I bought this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170470
to put on my shed. Unfortunately it will not "stick". The shed has
previously been painted (some 5 years ago) with a green preserver of
unknown make that is repelling this new preserver. Any ideas of a shed
treatment that will go over this green stuff.

Is the new one water based? It doesn't say on the web site as far as I
could see but most in sheds now seem to be. The problem is using
a water based preservative on top of a previously applied water
repellant one.

You could try a solvent one like Cuprinol Wood Preserver after rubbing
down the wood.

Indeed. One of the best and cheapest wood preservers is 50/50 engine
oil and paraffin (or diesel, white spirit etc).

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-17 10:46:52 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

I bought this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170470
to put on my shed. Unfortunately it will not "stick". The shed has
previously been painted (some 5 years ago) with a green preserver of
unknown make that is repelling this new preserver. Any ideas of a shed
treatment that will go over this green stuff.

Adam

Is the new one water based? It doesn't say on the web site as far as I
could see but most in sheds now seem to be. The problem is using a
water based preservative on top of a previously applied water repellant
one.

You could try a solvent one like Cuprinol Wood Preserver after rubbing
down the wood.

Just checked the tin. Is says solvent based.

I have decided to try some other product on the shed and the stuff I have
already bought will go on my fence panels

Adam

Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 17 January 18th 06 09:05 PM
Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 1 January 9th 06 11:34 AM
New roof needed for storage shed Lesley Home Repair 0 April 24th 05 06:43 PM
Urgent chicken shed plans and chickens needed! Jonathan UK diy 51 April 24th 05 02:34 AM
When is a shed not a shed? Vortex UK diy 7 January 7th 05 10:31 AM