Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can a 110mm strap boss be attached to top surface of horizontal waste pipe ?

The location I am considering placing a the bath in my new bathroom layout
is with the bath waste almost directly above a horizontal run of the 110mm
bathroom waste pipe running under the floor. This section of 110mm pipe
connects the soil stack to a 110mm air admittance valve, thus actually
currently has no water running in it.

Due to space constraints it is not possible to get a strap on boss on the
side of the 110mm pipe and connect the bath waste to it (structural I-beam
joists are in the way) so is it permissible to connect the boss to the upper
surface of the 110mm pipe an pipe the bath waste to that ?

Might be slightly noisier ?

Is there a pipe wear issue due to the 110mm "drop" ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian_m" wrote in message
The location I am considering placing a the bath in my new bathroom layout
is with the bath waste almost directly above a horizontal run of the 110mm
bathroom waste pipe running under the floor. This section of 110mm pipe
connects the soil stack to a 110mm air admittance valve, thus actually
currently has no water running in it.

Due to space constraints it is not possible to get a strap on boss on the
side of the 110mm pipe and connect the bath waste to it (structural I-beam
joists are in the way) so is it permissible to connect the boss to the

upper
surface of the 110mm pipe an pipe the bath waste to that ?

Might be slightly noisier ?

Is there a pipe wear issue due to the 110mm "drop" ?

It is perfectly acceptable to connect to the top of the soil pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

The location I am considering placing a the bath in my new bathroom
layout is with the bath waste almost directly above a horizontal run
of the 110mm bathroom waste pipe running under the floor. This
section of 110mm pipe connects the soil stack to a 110mm air
admittance valve, thus actually currently has no water running in it.

Due to space constraints it is not possible to get a strap on boss on
the side of the 110mm pipe and connect the bath waste to it
(structural I-beam joists are in the way) so is it permissible to
connect the boss to the upper surface of the 110mm pipe an pipe the
bath waste to that ?
Might be slightly noisier ?

Is there a pipe wear issue due to the 110mm "drop" ?

I see no problem with that as long as your 'horizontal' pipe has a slight
*fall* towards the stack, and not the other way!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
The location I am considering placing a the bath in my new bathroom
layout is with the bath waste almost directly above a horizontal run
of the 110mm bathroom waste pipe running under the floor. This
section of 110mm pipe connects the soil stack to a 110mm air
admittance valve, thus actually currently has no water running in it.

Due to space constraints it is not possible to get a strap on boss on
the side of the 110mm pipe and connect the bath waste to it
(structural I-beam joists are in the way) so is it permissible to
connect the boss to the upper surface of the 110mm pipe an pipe the
bath waste to that ?
Might be slightly noisier ?

Is there a pipe wear issue due to the 110mm "drop" ?

I've seen many basin wastes connected into the top of a horizontal soil
pipe, so I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Ian_m wrote:

The location I am considering placing a the bath in my new bathroom
layout is with the bath waste almost directly above a horizontal run
of the 110mm bathroom waste pipe running under the floor. This
section of 110mm pipe connects the soil stack to a 110mm air
admittance valve, thus actually currently has no water running in it.

Due to space constraints it is not possible to get a strap on boss on
the side of the 110mm pipe and connect the bath waste to it
(structural I-beam joists are in the way) so is it permissible to
connect the boss to the upper surface of the 110mm pipe an pipe the
bath waste to that ?
Might be slightly noisier ?

Is there a pipe wear issue due to the 110mm "drop" ?

I see no problem with that as long as your 'horizontal' pipe has a slight
*fall* towards the stack, and not the other way!

Yes - I trust the AAV is not mounted on the end of the (near?)
horizontal pipe, but rather, is mounted so it points skyward?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
Ian_m wrote:

[...]

The AAV is mounted on a vertical section at approx 1m above the floor level.

Yes the pipe does slope towards the soil pipe rather than the AAV end.

Only other thing, my brother who is/was a plumber/site manager came up with
is don't make the bath waste connection too short as he has met leaking bath
wastes where it dropped almost straight into a 110mm pipe and had no give or
movement. After about 2 years it started leaking at both boss connection and
bath plug as there was probably no "give" in the waste pipework to allow for
settlement/movement of both the bath and waste pipe. He fixed by running the
40mm bath waste pipe about a foot along the 110mm waste into a new boss thus
allowing some flexibility between the bath and 110mm waste.

Strap boss for 3.5" cast iron pipe Mr Uncalled-For UK diy 27 August 22nd 07 12:00 PM
Bath waste to horizontal soil pipe nafuk UK diy 5 May 9th 07 06:12 PM
Strap On Boss Lenny Brown UK diy 4 January 29th 06 10:49 PM
100mm Strap Boss - does such a thing exist Charlie UK diy 4 March 11th 05 01:16 PM
drilling hole for 110mm waste Paul UK diy 11 May 18th 04 10:04 PM