Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default using electrical equipment in USA

Probably not the best forum but you guys seem to know your stuff.

Where in UK do I get a small 110V to 240V convertor suitable for
charging my ipod and phone in USA? There's a few 240 to 110V devices
about which if it they were just transformers could run back to front
but I suspect there are other electronic features to consider.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andyv" wrote in message
Probably not the best forum but you guys seem to know your stuff.

Where in UK do I get a small 110V to 240V convertor suitable for
charging my ipod and phone in USA? There's a few 240 to 110V devices
about which if it they were just transformers could run back to front
but I suspect there are other electronic features to consider.

Have a look at the specs of your chargers. My my phone charger (Nokia)
states Input 100 - 240 Volts, so you may only need a plug adaptor available
in lots of shops/airports.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

Probably not the best forum but you guys seem to know your stuff.

Where in UK do I get a small 110V to 240V convertor suitable for
charging my ipod and phone in USA? *There's a few 240 to 110V devices
about which if it they were just transformers could run back to front
but I suspect there are other electronic features to consider.

Have a look at the specs of your chargers. *My my phone charger (Nokia)
states Input 100 - 240 Volts, so you may only need a plug adaptor available
in lots of shops/airports.

HTH

John

Hmm. So does mine. That solves the phone then. Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2008 12:15, andyv wrote:

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:

My my phone charger (Nokia)
states Input 100 - 240 Volts, so you may only need a plug adaptor available
in lots of shops/airports.

Hmm. So does mine. That solves the phone then. Thanks!

But not the iPod? If it charges from USB then you should be able to find
a standalone USB charger that works on 120/240V, this should power
various devices you might wish to take, e.g.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10521.htm

Or an dedicated iPod charger that works on 120/240V, e.g.
http://www.porta-charge.co.uk/search...er+white+black

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

They probably are just transformers and could be run back to front, with
obvious safety precautions. The good news is that 220V is readily
available in the USA, you just need to find the outlet the washing
machine is plugged into.

And a suitable adaptor. They probably exist, but I haven't yet seen one
that goes from UK 240 to US 220.
Most/all US washing machines use 110, not 220. It's the electric dryers
that use 220. And the cookers. And some of the bigger AC units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message
Probably not the best forum but you guys seem to know your stuff.

Where in UK do I get a small 110V to 240V convertor suitable for
charging my ipod and phone in USA? There's a few 240 to 110V devices
about which if it they were just transformers could run back to front
but I suspect there are other electronic features to consider.

Have a look at the specs of your chargers. My my phone charger (Nokia)
states Input 100 - 240 Volts, so you may only need a plug adaptor available
in lots of shops/airports.

I thought they all were these days - until we found in the USA that
SWMBO's mobile was 240V only, so she couldn't recharge it once the
battery went. (At least it stopped her yapping on it though...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-12 12:15:49 +0000, andyv said:

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

Probably not the best forum but you guys seem to know your stuff.

Where in UK do I get a small 110V to 240V convertor suitable for
charging my ipod and phone in USA? *There's a few 240 to 110V devices
about which if it they were just transformers could run back to front
but I suspect there are other electronic features to consider.

Have a look at the specs of your chargers. *My my phone charger (Nokia)
states Input 100 - 240 Volts, so you may only need a plug adaptor availabl

in lots of shops/airports.

HTH

John

Hmm. So does mine. That solves the phone then. Thanks!

For the iPod you can charge via USB. The electronics shops in
airports sell multinational adaptors with a swappable top. One is used
to take a plug or charger when you want to use it as an adaptor. The
other is a USB charger.

They look like this

http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...l_Adapter.html

The ones in the airport come with two tops at about £17.

I've had some for a couple of years in regularly weekly use in many
different countries and they have been very reliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-12 12:15:49 +0000, andyv said:

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

[...]

Or http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=677467.
No experience of the product itself but remembered seeing it.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-12 12:15:49 +0000, andyv said:

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

[...]

Or continuing the down-market trend... at GBP3.48 for a UK-only one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260218383534

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-12 12:15:49 +0000, andyv said:

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

[...]

That's unfair!!! :-)

I bought a UK-only USB-only one for £1-47 (from Scan) but a) couldn't
now find it on their site and b) thought it wasn't relevant for OP.

From my invoice:
"veho VAA-001 USB to UK Mains Plug A 1 £1.25"

(The shipping cost for one doesn't bear thinking about.)

Any lower?
--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
On 2008-03-12 12:15:49 +0000, andyv said:

On 12 Mar, 12:05, "John" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

[...]

From my invoice:
"veho VAA-001 USB to UK Mains Plug A 1 £1.25"

(The shipping cost for one doesn't bear thinking about.)

Any lower?

Sorry, but the ebay one beats that as it's 99p excluding postage!
David