Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rotary saw?

Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard
- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard
- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

What exactly is one?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
wrote in message
Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard
- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

What exactly is one?

mark

A 1/8th" or 1/4" bit doing 30,000 rpm. Bit looks like a drill bit,
cuts
on the sides. Can drill a hole then move it about, but performance
was utter ---. Google rotozip.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard
- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

Yes but, dear God, not chipboard! Any thin rigid material that wants a hole
or trimming or profiling. Acrylic for shed windows springs to mind - the
rotary saw was the only thing that would do the job.

Okay, not exactly daily use but occasionaly the right tool

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard
- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

Yes but, dear God, not chipboard! Any thin rigid material that wants a hole
or trimming or profiling. Acrylic for shed windows springs to mind - the
rotary saw was the only thing that would do the job.

Okay, not exactly daily use but occasionaly the right tool

Bob

I'll bear that in mind, though I would have thought the steep spiral
cutting edge would grab and break the acrylic. About the only time
it made any progress at cutting the chip was when it grabbed and
tried to kick the tool back. I doubt I'll ever use it tbh, you live
and
learn..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard
- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

Yes but, dear God, not chipboard! Any thin rigid material that wants a
hole
or trimming or profiling. Acrylic for shed windows springs to mind - the
rotary saw was the only thing that would do the job.

Okay, not exactly daily use but occasionaly the right tool

Bob

I'll bear that in mind, though I would have thought the steep spiral
cutting edge would grab and break the acrylic. About the only time
it made any progress at cutting the chip was when it grabbed and
tried to kick the tool back. I doubt I'll ever use it tbh, you live
and
learn..

It was the only tool that *didn't* grab and break the bloody acrylic! Clamp
it to a workmate with a guide to slide along and it did the job perfectly.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Old Rotary phone - GPO 746 [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 12th 07 04:41 AM
rotary gun rack cheoreomacv Woodworking 30 December 27th 06 02:58 PM
Rotary table Gerry Metalworking 4 February 25th 06 09:37 PM
Rotary Saw Recommendation? [email protected] Woodworking 6 February 1st 05 01:33 AM
Rotary table ID? tokarev Metalworking 1 May 20th 04 12:57 AM