Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 240v sounder

Does anyone know of a sounder suitable for mains use that won't deafen
people within 10 yards. Ideally all I want is quiet beep 15 sec pause
beep 15s and so on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice expressed precisely :
Does anyone know of a sounder suitable for mains use that won't deafen
people within 10 yards. Ideally all I want is quiet beep 15 sec pause
beep 15s and so on.

Mains powered ones tend to be robust and er, well, loud.

Why not find what you need in a low voltage version and feed it from a
small wall wart? 12v output wall wart connected to a vehicle reversing
alarm perhaps.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Liquorice expressed precisely :

Does anyone know of a sounder suitable for mains use that won't deafen
people within 10 yards. Ideally all I want is quiet beep 15 sec pause
beep 15s and so on.

Mains powered ones tend to be robust and er, well, loud.

Why not find what you need in a low voltage version and feed it from a
small wall wart? 12v output wall wart connected to a vehicle reversing
alarm perhaps.

Other option is put silicone in the sounder housing of a 240v one.
Not very elegant, but kills resonance.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:37:45 +0000, Owain wrote:

A mains powered firebell and remove the gong?

Still very loud, I just want something you would be aware of rather than
having your attention drawn to it. It's to wire across the "overheat" stat
on a 38kW floor standing cast iron oil boiler. It trips fairly often due
to being oversized for the load on it most of the time. But not oversize
for the load that could be on it...

Even a vehicle reversing alarm would be a bit loud but is an interesting
thought. It's that sort of beep beep beep I'm after, just a lot quieter.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Does anyone know of a sounder suitable for mains use that won't deafen
people within 10 yards. Ideally all I want is quiet beep 15 sec pause
beep 15s and so on.

Anything that does that will be basically low voltage so I'd guess you
have more chance of finding a 12 volt one and use an external power supply.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:09:00 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Does anyone know of a sounder suitable for mains use that won't deafen
people within 10 yards. Ideally all I want is quiet beep 15 sec pause
beep 15s and so on.

This *is* a DIY group... build your own! ;-)

stripboard & soldering iron time!
a dual 555 timer - first half gates the second half at repeat speed.
second half provides the beep and is connected to a piezo speaker.
then just a little power supply.

Masochists could use a PIC chip and piezo speaker with some programming
instead of the dual 555 and components.

Alternatively, have a look for a device called a Sonalert or Cybertone.
These used to be available from people like RS or Farnell in 240vAC
versions but most of them are low voltage. Most mains sounders are too
loud for what you want. It may be better to choose a low voltage, low
output device and use it with a pregnant plug power supply.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mick
writes
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:09:00 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Does anyone know of a sounder suitable for mains use that won't deafen
people within 10 yards. Ideally all I want is quiet beep 15 sec pause
beep 15s and so on.

This *is* a DIY group... build your own! ;-)

stripboard & soldering iron time!
a dual 555 timer - first half gates the second half at repeat speed.
second half provides the beep and is connected to a piezo speaker.
then just a little power supply.

Masochists could use a PIC chip and piezo speaker with some programming
instead of the dual 555 and components.

Sorry, but it's an unwritten rule of DIY electronics that you HAVE to
have a 555 timer on the board (even if it's not actually connected to
anything)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:06:39 +0000, Owain
wrote:

geoff wrote:
Sorry, but it's an unwritten rule of DIY electronics that you HAVE to
have a 555 timer on the board (even if it's not actually connected to
anything)

Whatever did we make before we had 555s to make them with?

Automatic light switches with an ORP12, a red spot transistor and a
relay.

Frank Erskine
Be alert - the Country needs lerts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

geoff wrote:
Sorry, but it's an unwritten rule of DIY electronics that you HAVE to
have a 555 timer on the board (even if it's not actually connected to
anything)

Whatever did we make before we had 555s to make them with?

Automatic light switches with an ORP12, a red spot transistor and a
relay.

Those were the days...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
geoff wrote:
Sorry, but it's an unwritten rule of DIY electronics that you HAVE to
have a 555 timer on the board (even if it's not actually connected to
anything)

Whatever did we make before we had 555s to make them with?

Owain

Unijunctions?
TWO transistor multivibrators?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 13 Mar,
Frank Erskine wrote:

Automatic light switches with an ORP12, a red spot transistor and a
relay.

And what about before semiconductors? Replace the red spot with a triode.
Neon for the timer.

An electro-mechanical switch would make more sense in valve days.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:46:46 GMT, wrote:

On 13 Mar,
Frank Erskine wrote:

Automatic light switches with an ORP12, a red spot transistor and a
relay.

And what about before semiconductors? Replace the red spot with a triode.
Neon for the timer.

Well yes - I didn't like to embarrass the youngsters (sub 58s, for
example) on here...
The relay has to be GPO 3000-type, with proper adjustments.

--

Frank Erskine
Be alert - the Country needs lerts.

Fish Finder (depth-sounder) display problem. kontiki Electronics Repair 1 February 9th 07 07:59 PM
depth sounder transducer cable repair freddyuk Electronics Repair 1 July 18th 06 04:03 AM
240v Downlighters razerindemix UK diy 12 January 25th 06 06:48 PM
240V -> 208V -- How to? Jeff Dantzler Metalworking 9 October 4th 05 03:21 AM
240v footswitch... Howie UK diy 4 April 11th 05 11:15 AM