Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to apply large vinyl stickers

Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Ta

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Ta

David

Start at the middle and work to both ends of the board,clean that board with
white spirits first and dry off.
When you start from the middle use a damp rag to sweep the sticker from the
middle outwards ie left&right.
Any bubbles can be sliced with a sharp craft knife and then pressed down to
release the trapped air.

Just have patience. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 15:42, "George" wrote:
"David" wrote in message

[...]

I would just use sewing needle to get a fine hole to let the air out.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Similar to what George said, but after cleaning, spray the board with a weak
mixture of washing up liquid and water. This lets you slide it around and
position it, and then squeegeeing removes the water and sticks it down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Soapy water on the back of sticky backed vinyl? first time I've heard that
one.

I know its done on film type decal where you do wet the surface then slide
the decal around till its where it should go and then use a squeegy to
flatten it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 15:36, David wrote:
Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Ta

David

Is is actually sticky, or the type you apply with soapy water and
squeegy ?
Everyone has assumed the latter.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 4:11*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:

Is is actually sticky, or the type you apply with soapy water and
squeegy ?
Everyone has assumed the latter.
Simon

It's sticky - like a...er...big sticker...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Ta

David

http://www.bossdog.co.uk/fitting-instructions.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Yu use a lubricant..and that keeps the vinyl from sticking till you have
squeegeed it out.

I forget what works well..

Ta

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks folks - I'll get sticking!

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David (David ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Is is actually sticky, or the type you apply with soapy water and
squeegy ?
Everyone has assumed the latter.

It's sticky - like a...er...big sticker...

....and the soapy water stops it sticking, allowing you to adjust the
position.

Trust me, it works. We had some vinyls done for a car a few years back -
biggest was full bonnet - and this was the ONLY way to get 'em in place.
They stick like wotnot to a blanket dry, but with the water you can slide
'em about to your heart's content. Then just squeegee the excess out and
leave 'em to dry - and they're permanent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote on 11/03/2008 :
Dear all-knowing

I have promised to put some A-boards together for a local charity and
now have
a. a blank metal A-board
b. an A1 vinyl sticker to put on the A-board

Can someone tell me how to stick the big sticker with the design on
onto the A-board without making a total pig's ear of it?

The problem as I see it is that if I stick one end and it's not
entirely straight, by the time I get to the other end, the error will
be very noticeable. And once it's stuck, it's probably stuck. Oh, and
how to avoid wrinkles (no botox jokes please).

Top tips please as I've hed 'em for a month and Google has revealed
nothing to me...

Wet the board with water, with a small amount of washing up liquid
added. That should allow it to float over the surface to its location,
then squeagy the liquid out. The small amount left, will evaporate.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The soap lowers the surface tension of the water and helps to get a
thin even layer of water.

It really does work!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-11, George wrote:

Soapy water on the back of sticky backed vinyl? first time I've
heard that
one.

That's as maybe, but that's how it's done. I was skeptical the first
time, but
have done dozens of them since.

That's how body trim vinyl is applied to motor vehicles (that black
vinyl around the windows on many Volvos for example), diluted screen
wash in one of those trigger spray bottle is what most people use.