Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Memory Foam "with fingers"

I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit (e.g. in the car) so that she might actually be
able to do so for more than a few minutes.

What I need (I think) is some memory foam with finger-like protrusions.
I have a mattress topper http://www.johnlewis.com/6122/Product.aspx
which has these fingers but don't want to chop that up!

Because I am probably going to be iterating several designs (that sounds
a bit grand for lash-up experiments!), I am trying to locate a source of
relatively inexpensive foam - possibly offcuts or seconds. Once I know
what I am doing, whether it works at all, then I won't mind paying for
quality material. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to glue memory foam to itself (e.g. to shape a seat
pad)? What glue? Techniques?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit (e.g. in the car) so that she might actually be
able to do so for more than a few minutes.

What I need (I think) is some memory foam with finger-like protrusions.
I have a mattress topper http://www.johnlewis.com/6122/Product.aspx
which has these fingers but don't want to chop that up!

Because I am probably going to be iterating several designs (that sounds
a bit grand for lash-up experiments!), I am trying to locate a source of
relatively inexpensive foam - possibly offcuts or seconds. Once I know
what I am doing, whether it works at all, then I won't mind paying for
quality material. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to glue memory foam to itself (e.g. to shape a seat
pad)? What glue? Techniques?

In hospitals a system using bags filled with small polystyrene balls
which can be molded around part of the patient and then evacuated using
a vacuum pump to "fix" the shape is used.

Not sure whether this approach can be adapted for home use.

www.dha.co.uk/docs/invac.doc

keywords "vacuum bags", "patient positioning" "inflatable splint"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 8:15*am, robert wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

keywords "vacuum bags", "patient positioning" "inflatable splint"- Hide quoted text -

That's a neat idea. For more info on how to evacuate the air, search
for boat building techniques on vacuum bagging (which is a technique
to apply equal pressure on a glass-fibre laminate when curing. They
tend, I think, to use old fridge pumps or similar which you should be
able to pick up cheaply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
On Mar 10, 8:15 am, robert wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

Agreed - it is a very neat idea. But the result would be too firm. We
have experimented with, for example, polystyrene bead-filled bean bags.
On their own they are too hard; removing the air would make them even
firmer.

Thank you for your suggestions.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 06:21:48 +0000, Rod wrote:

I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit (e.g. in the car) so that she might actually be
able to do so for more than a few minutes.

What I need (I think) is some memory foam with finger-like protrusions.
I have a mattress topper http://www.johnlewis.com/6122/Product.aspx
which has these fingers but don't want to chop that up!

Because I am probably going to be iterating several designs (that sounds
a bit grand for lash-up experiments!), I am trying to locate a source of
relatively inexpensive foam - possibly offcuts or seconds. Once I know
what I am doing, whether it works at all, then I won't mind paying for
quality material. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to glue memory foam to itself (e.g. to shape a seat
pad)? What glue? Techniques?

===================================
I doubt if you really need 'memory' foam, with or without 'fingers'.
Ordinary foam comes in different densities and thicknesses and you can
select according to your needs. Try your local yellow pages. Flat slabs
can be cut to shape with an electric knife and pieces can be glued
together to make profiled shapes. Clear Bostik will stick most foams but a
foam supplier will probably sell a spray adhesive.

I made a car seat pad like this a few years ago - needed after a hip
replacement - worked perfectly covered in smooth cloth.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Agreed - it is a very neat idea. But the result would be too firm. We
have experimented with, for example, polystyrene bead-filled bean bags.
On their own they are too hard; removing the air would make them even
firmer.

Depends exactly what you are trying to achieve - if you want support
then this allows you to mould exactly to the body shape - less pressure
points - and you could always add a layer of foam to give a soft surface.
Good Luck
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Mar, 06:21, Rod wrote:
I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit

Google and mail order. There are plenty of foam suppliers around. I
usually use FoamForComfort.

I'm not a great fan of memory foam, although low-mobility _sitting_
cushions are one of the useful applications for it. I'm certainly not
convinced about it for mattresses. Memory foams are only useful if
there's no mobility over it, otherwise there are better choices.

Generally I tend to prefer _latex_ foams, often a thin (1") soft layer
over a firmer core. Soft over firm laminations give the advantages of
finger surfaces, without the disadvantages. Latex foams are also
cheaper than memory foams, somewhere between memory and the high end
of PU chipfoam. Latex also has advantages for fire resistance, if
you're doing commercial work.

Occupational Therapists are also a good source of loaner cushions for
the expensive materials. Some of these are a crazy price (£400 for an
inflatable with fingers was one of the latest I saw) but they're worth
trying out to see if this particular cushion type works for the
individual. You might be able to afford a silly-money cushion if you
already know it works for you, but it's a lot to waste on just taking
a chance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 6:21*am, Rod wrote:
I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit (e.g. in the car) so that she might actually be
able to do so for more than a few minutes.

What I need (I think) is some memory foam with finger-like protrusions.
I have a mattress topper http://www.johnlewis.com/6122/Product.aspx
which has these fingers but don't want to chop that up!

Because I am probably going to be iterating several designs (that sounds
a bit grand for lash-up experiments!), I am trying to locate a source of
relatively inexpensive foam - possibly offcuts or seconds. Once I know
what I am doing, whether it works at all, then I won't mind paying for
quality material. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to glue memory foam to itself (e.g. to shape a seat
pad)? What glue? Techniques?

Hi,

Have a look at what is available for wheelchair seat cushions:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=selecting+a+wheelchair
+cushion&btnG=Search&hl=en&safe=off

Mattress topper foam may be too soft for a seating, and 'bottom out'

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Mar, 06:21, Rod wrote:
I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit

Google and mail order. There are plenty of foam suppliers around. I
usually use FoamForComfort.

There are lots of suppliers on eBay, findable by Google, etc. but their
adverts never communicate how they handle trivial orders to individuals
like me! Also, I have not yet found fingered memory foam. Well, I might
have done, but it isn't easy to tell from some descriptions. I guess I
will have to get in touch directly with some of them.

I'm not a great fan of memory foam, although low-mobility _sitting_
cushions are one of the useful applications for it. I'm certainly not
convinced about it for mattresses. Memory foams are only useful if
there's no mobility over it, otherwise there are better choices.

I think it is grossly over-priced, over-promoted and unsuited to many
roles. But:

The mattress topper we bought after trying it on a fold-up bed in the
shop and finding it to be amazingly comfortable. I would not go for one
on a 'proper' bed.

We have researched (so far as we have been able) other people with
similar-sounding problems. Memory foam does keep cropping up.

Generally I tend to prefer _latex_ foams, often a thin (1") soft layer
over a firmer core. Soft over firm laminations give the advantages of
finger surfaces, without the disadvantages. Latex foams are also
cheaper than memory foams, somewhere between memory and the high end
of PU chipfoam. Latex also has advantages for fire resistance, if
you're doing commercial work.

I shall try to check that out as well.

Occupational Therapists are also a good source of loaner cushions for
the expensive materials. Some of these are a crazy price (£400 for an
inflatable with fingers was one of the latest I saw) but they're worth
trying out to see if this particular cushion type works for the
individual. You might be able to afford a silly-money cushion if you
already know it works for you, but it's a lot to waste on just taking
a chance.

Just got to make contact with one... :-)

Yes - the idea of try-before-you-buy is very important at that sort of
price.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Pete C wrote:
On Mar 10, 6:21 am, Rod wrote:
[...]

Lots and lots to think about.

On one of the sites found I saw this:

"The factors of consideration a diagnosis, ...."

- well, a diagnosis would be a start. And lack of that is inhibiting
everything else. She does not use a wheelchair, in fact she is more
comfortable walking than sitting. The foam is meant to make car travel
more acceptable when it is necessary or even just desired.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:21:54 +0000, Rod wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Mar, 06:21, Rod wrote:
I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving
partner's ability to sit

Google and mail order. There are plenty of foam suppliers around. I
usually use FoamForComfort.

There are lots of suppliers on eBay, findable by Google, etc. but their
adverts never communicate how they handle trivial orders to individuals
like me! Also, I have not yet found fingered memory foam. Well, I might
have done, but it isn't easy to tell from some descriptions. I guess I
will have to get in touch directly with some of them.

snipped

There's a facility on Ebay to 'ask seller a question'. Try doing this and
if you get no reply you know where not to buy. On the other hand you might
get useful information.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

My wife suffers a *lot* from pain in the legs and bum from Sciatica so I can
understand where you are coming from.

I also suffer from numb-bum syndrome from driving my van and thus far
haven't found anything that supports the "pain" areas properly or provides
relief.

We are awaiting a foam 3" topper to the mattress to see if it will allow
enough relief for sleep, which up to now has been elusive.

My thoughts on pressure relief have gone to a gel filled pad. Not the solid
gel ones but one that stays flexible enough to allow the gel to absorb
pressure and jolts without passing on the movement. See
http://www.mothersbliss.com/shopping/feme.asp

I have a wheelchair gel pad in the van but it's f***ng cold and quite solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

RW wrote:
snip

Rod,

My wife suffers a *lot* from pain in the legs and bum from Sciatica so I can
understand where you are coming from.

Partner has been told that she has sciatica - but she hasn't. Of that we
are sure. :-)

I also suffer from numb-bum syndrome from driving my van and thus far
haven't found anything that supports the "pain" areas properly or provides
relief.

We are awaiting a foam 3" topper to the mattress to see if it will allow
enough relief for sleep, which up to now has been elusive.

Thankfully, sleep isn't too bad - at least from a comfort point of view.
Just a normal, decent mattress. Is that latex, urethane or memory foam?

My thoughts on pressure relief have gone to a gel filled pad. Not the solid
gel ones but one that stays flexible enough to allow the gel to absorb
pressure and jolts without passing on the movement. See
http://www.mothersbliss.com/shopping/feme.asp

I have a wheelchair gel pad in the van but it's f***ng cold and quite solid.

Can't you pipe some warm water from the engine coolant system... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
RW wrote:
snip

Rod,

My wife suffers a *lot* from pain in the legs and bum from Sciatica so I
can understand where you are coming from.

Partner has been told that she has sciatica - but she hasn't. Of that we
are sure. :-)

SWMBO is going to get a blood test to ruel out anything else.

I also suffer from numb-bum syndrome from driving my van and thus far
haven't found anything that supports the "pain" areas properly or
provides relief.

We are awaiting a foam 3" topper to the mattress to see if it will allow
enough relief for sleep, which up to now has been elusive.

Thankfully, sleep isn't too bad - at least from a comfort point of view.
Just a normal, decent mattress. Is that latex, urethane or memory foam?

Memory foam topper. Ebay item 280206505981 if you want to view it. Cheaper
than many other suppliers by over 50% ! They also do all the bed matresses
to in memory foam.

My thoughts on pressure relief have gone to a gel filled pad. Not the
solid gel ones but one that stays flexible enough to allow the gel to
absorb pressure and jolts without passing on the movement. See
http://www.mothersbliss.com/shopping/feme.asp

I have a wheelchair gel pad in the van but it's f***ng cold and quite
solid.

Can't you pipe some warm water from the engine coolant system... :-)

Hmmmmmmmmm................. That needs looking into ;-)