Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot tin roof?

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:30:23 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I hadn't intended to redesign your building:-)

Hey, you have to stay flexible and open minded with such things.

Bear in mind that the end
walls may not be intended to take any more roof load than they do
already.

Hmm, true. I'll see if the makers have any thoughts on that ...

You could use fermacell building board for your inner lining but at some
stage your materials costs are going to exceed that of composite roof
sheets without the convenience.

Hmm, spose ..

Probably. There used to be a product which looked similar to hardboard
but was much more rigid and made from asbestos cement.

Fermacell is gypsum and re-cycled paper.

More different materials! "Class O fire performance" ... is that good?

Elsewhere you are concerned about close fitting ridge components for
cement fibre roofing. There is a version where the actual ridge is in
the form of two concentric cylinders. The pitch is variable and will
easily do 90deg.

Ah, (you have been watching me right?) we popped into the local BM
today and we spotted said sections (and that was the big question in
the beginning!).

6' 3" profile sheets were about £25 +V each?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

6' 3" profile sheets were about £25 +V each?

Expensive! I just turned a few pages in the buildings section of my
paper copy of Farmers Guide (www.farmersguide.co.uk) Pan
tile form steel roofing is available at £7.50/m. Various other adverts
for roofing materials in the Anglian region.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 6:39*pm, Adrian wrote:
HI Rob

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:22:33 -0700 (PDT), robgraham

wrote:
On 8 Mar, 13:45, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I asked a while back about considerations when raising the pitch on a
garage / workshoproof(to make more of a 'loft' / storage space) and
I'm now, after seeing some in use, considering that pre coloured galv
steel roofing you often see in the bigger profiles cladding the walls
and roofs of the sheds we all know and love. ;-)

I'm told it would be much noisier than the existing corrugated cement
fibre (and I would have to replace that anyway as it would be too
short with a higher pitch) *but I see you can get self insulated
panels but not sure if they meet the requirements of 'non combustible'
(I'm thinking of the insulation rather than the panels here).

I've even seen (but now can't find) a simulated slate (I've found the
tile one) that would be in keeping with our and many of the houses
round here.

The pro's for me could be that it might be lighter than cement fibre
(easier for me to do), possibly more secure (you couldn't just break
it open) and could be pre-insulated?

So, has anyone here used such stuff themselves and can point out any
pitfalls etc please?

All the best ..

T i m

Has anyone got any experience with Onduline ?

http://www.ondulinebuildingproducts.net/p0007.htm

Rob

I used some Onduline back at the last place.

Advantages - it's relatively cheap, doesn't rust or rot, light to
lift, easy to cut to size - but use an old saw - quite messy!

Disadvantages - needs cross-support at the recommended intervals
as otherwise it will sag under the effects of sunlight / heat.

Used it toroofone of the woodsheds (6ft x 20ft) and a chicken shed
(only 6' x 4').

Good stuff, IMHO

Adrian- Hide quoted text -

Try www.therooftech.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

wrote:
On 8 Mar, 13:45, T i m wrote:
[...]

Well - if you're going to spam newsgroups -
at least make sure that they're USA newsgroups....

........unless business is so slow in Maryland that you're happy to
make day-trips to the UK to advise us DIY-ers ..?

email
email

email

email

"Servicing Anne Arundel, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Howard,
Prince George and Queen Annes counties."

.....wherever those places might be !

Adrian