Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Have you improvised some LED lighting in your bathroom?

I was thinking of using some blue LED's as highlighting in the
bathroom - maybe a strip of LEDs behind the glass shelf below the
mirror, one shining on the bottom of the glass tumbler to light that
and some behind the plastic corner shelves to light them.

The wiring would be buried into the plaster and I would use flexible
strips of LEDs which are very thin and commonly available on ebay.

Has anyone done something similar - what were the results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 12:58*am, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I was thinking of using some blue LED's as highlighting in the
bathroom - maybe a strip of LEDs behind the glass shelf below the
mirror, one shining on the bottom of the glass tumbler to light that
and some behind the plastic corner shelves to light them.

The wiring would be buried into the plaster and I would use flexible
strips of LEDs which are very thin and commonly available on ebay.

Has anyone done something similar - what were the results.

I have done a few things that are similar and your intentions sound
cool, however, I learned from a Custom Outdoor BBQ Mfg when I saw how
they were installing some LED rope lighting under glass blocks that
were rapped around the outer edge of the $10,000 bbq , is that you
need to be able to take them out if they burn out.

My Landscape and interior lighting designers like to put the leds in a
channel first, so just in case 50,000 hours later when they may start
fading in color and you want to change the look, you can easily slide
the LED's out.

I carry LED ribbon light and LED channel lighting which will give you
about 4' of great light and then start to fade, you do need a 12V DC
transformer to operate them. I would recommend going to home depot or
lowes for the aluminum U Channel, I believe it comes in various sizes
and small enough to accomplish what I think you are going for.

If you would like a sample of the Blue LED's in a small Aluminum U
Channel I can send you a foot, this would at least prove your theory
and give you enough information to move forward. www.americanillumination.com

Good luck
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Light Perspective" wrote in message
[...]

Slight advert (ok blattent!) I have used some LEDs from these guy
(brilliant) www.ledlightingproducts.co.uk

Using there IP rated downlighters and their wired controller in a bedroom,
looks ace!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 8:58 am, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I was thinking of using some blue LED's as highlighting in the
bathroom - maybe a strip of LEDs behind the glass shelf below the
mirror, one shining on the bottom of the glass tumbler to light that
and some behind the plastic corner shelves to light them.

The wiring would be buried into the plaster and I would use flexible
strips of LEDs which are very thin and commonly available on ebay.

Has anyone done something similar - what were the results

Use a decent 12V regulated low current supply, LV lighting trafo dont
like the very low load.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Mar 6, 8:58 am, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I was thinking of using some blue LED's as highlighting in the
bathroom - maybe a strip of LEDs behind the glass shelf below the
mirror, one shining on the bottom of the glass tumbler to light that
and some behind the plastic corner shelves to light them.

The wiring would be buried into the plaster and I would use flexible
strips of LEDs which are very thin and commonly available on ebay.

Has anyone done something similar - what were the results

Use a decent 12V regulated low current supply, LV lighting trafo dont
like the very low load.

LEDs are current operated - not voltage. At the most basic you use a
series resistor to limit the current and for normal use the voltage of the
source isn't that critical. If you're driving them hard you'd normally use
a purpose LED driver - and that again isn't terribly voltage sensitive.
That's for if you're using your own power supply.

Adam

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 9:44 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:

[...]

Indeed but presuming the OP is using ready made LED strips which are
commonly wired as 2 or 3 LEDs in series with a resistor then
paralleled along the length of the strip, commonly for a 12V supply.

12V LV lighting trafo looks like a good choice but isn`t, electronic
ones probaly won`t start or will flash below minimum load, typically
20W , wound lighting trafos have terrible regulation with low load and
might easily see 17V, after rectification, on a 2W 12V LED strip.

Thats where current driven nature of LEDs bites, increase V supply by
little, current can increase by a lot comes in.
1V increase could double the current the LEDs are actually taking,
they get only slightly brighter and their lifespan gets a LOT shorter.
Blue tends to change to an angry shade of cyan in extreme overdrive.

High power LEDs are almost always driven by a constant current supply
as fractions of a volt can be enough to increase current consumption
and shorten life dramatically.

Adam

Bathroom lighting? mike UK diy 13 April 24th 07 10:14 PM
Bathroom Lighting Vass UK diy 1 November 7th 05 09:21 PM
bathroom lighting frank spencer UK diy 0 May 16th 05 12:54 PM
LV Lighting in Bathroom Jeff UK diy 8 August 22nd 03 04:35 PM
Halogen Lighting in Bathroom Ian Clarke UK diy 15 August 1st 03 10:25 AM