Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bryant homes won't supply building plans - is this normal?

Hello,

I am a first time buyer for a home and as such am not as savvy as I
would hope to be when making such a large investment. As such I would
appreciate any advice on offer.

I am in the process of securing a mortgage for a home built by Bryant
Homes. During the process of putting down my deposit, I was briefly
shown the architect's drawings, wiring layout, sewage lines and so on
for about 5-10 seconds each (really). I asked if I may make a copy,
but was refused by the salesperson on grounds of copyright.

I then asked their head office, who said I can not have a copy of
these plans because:

"Unfortunately, it is not our company policy to give out copies of
architects drawings/electrical details etc. However, you can make an
appointment with the Site Manager to go through these plans in order
to discuss any concerns you may have."

Can someone please explain if this is normal?

I would like to have the plans so that I may appoint my own surveyor
to determine if the plot/building is to specifications (plot area,
building dimensions, anything else?), where the electrical/gas/
plumbing wiring is so I don't drill them while installing wall
mountings, where the underground lines are so I don't damage them
several years after planting trees and so on. Furthermore, I do not
see why I should have to consult the Site Manager for details about my
home and have it handed out to me piecemeal.

If they continue to refuse, are there any legal instruments I can use
to compel them to supply these to me?

Also, I was concerned that there appears to be a slate missing on the
front roof already:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6...ntroof1sk3.jpg

However I was informed that:

"In respect of the attached photograph and your suggestion that a tile
has fallen off the roof, I can confirm that this is a vent tile which
could be connected to the soil stack or one of the extractor fans in
either a bathroom or en-suite."

Thank you for any views.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dan

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:14:22 -0800 (PST), Dan Green
wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me as if Bryant are scared of potential liability issues.

Suppose they give you a set of plans - showing services (gas,
electricity etc).

Based on those plans, you drill holes in walls and electrocute
yourself or blow the place up - because the 'as built' position of the
services doesn't correspond with the positions on the plans.
I guess your surviring relatives might sue Bryant ?
You'd hope that they'd built to plan - but you never know....

A couple of possible courses of action.....

If the housing market's slowing then you should be in a good
bargaining position. Something along the lines of 'gimme the plans or
the deal's off'..?

You may be worrying unnecessarily. Talk to your Surveyor / Solicitor
and see what they think.

Hope this helps
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 17:14, Dan Green wrote:

Also, I was concerned that there appears to be a slate missing on the
front roof already:

From the phote it looks like one is missing to me too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 09:14:22 -0800, Dan Green wrote:

[...]

Seriously, you should be aware that new build commands a premium of about
20% over and above a similar dwelling of 10 years old.

You may think that new build is the best bet for a first time buyer
because there won't be any big maintenance issues to deal with. In fact
you may have considerably more than a slightly older place due to sorting
out all sorts of snags and trying to get the builders or their guarantors
to cough up.

Most people seem to get along fine without plans just working out where
things are likely to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Green wrote:

[...]

I doubt whether you have any legal right to the plans. I don't think I got a
set when I bought my previous house new in 1968. I *think* all I had was the
layout diagrams in the brochure. I suppose you might persuade them to hand
over a copy on completion, on the basis that you will need them if you ever
want to build an extension.

In the unlikely event that the plans show the location of all the services,
they're pretty much fiction anyway - the subbies (sparks, plumber, etc.)
will put the cables and pipes wherever is easiest for them regardless of
what the plans say. The only way to be sure, is to look at the *actuals*.

Is it fair to assume that the inside work isn't yet done - wiring, plumbing,
plastering, etc.? [I assumed this was the case because any surveyor you
might employ won't have much chance of finding out what's what after it's
all covered up]. If work *is* still in progress, why don't you go there
frequently and take digital photos of all the cables and pipes before
they're plastered over or boxed in, then you'll have your own records.

You can also make your own measurements of the site and of the building -
who needs a surveyor? I not sure quite what you plan to do if you find that
the house is six inches too far to the right!

With regard to the roof, the whole thing looks extremely uneven to me - as
if the tiles have been laid by the tea boy rather than by someone who knows
what he's doing. Some of the brickwork doesn't look too clever either -
particularly next door's gable, which seems to be built with bricks which
don't match the rest of the house. If those things are symptomatic of the
general standard of construction, I think I would walk away right now before
parting with any money!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 5:14*pm, Dan Green wrote:

Also, I was concerned that there appears to be a slate missing on the
front roof already:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6...ntroof1sk3.jpg

However I was informed that:

"In respect of the attached photograph and your suggestion that a tile
has fallen off the roof, I can confirm that this is a vent tile which
could be connected to the soil stack or one of the extractor fans in
either a bathroom or en-suite."

What does it look like on the other houses?

Maybe get someone _reputable_ to do a snagging inspection:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ng&btnG=Google

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it just me, or is the design of the flashing on the chimney a bit
unusual?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:31:57 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

With regard to the roof, the whole thing looks extremely uneven to me -
as if the tiles have been laid by the tea boy rather than by someone who
knows what he's doing.

I think it is a slate roof rather than tiles of one form or the other like
the neighbours either side. Bit of a mish mash though, three different
roofing styles on adjacent buildings?

The gap could be a vent, slates (should) overlap by more than 50% of their
length. It varies a bit on pitch and expected winds. So a missing slate is
just a gap in the row not a black hole with a bar up the middle. But in
any case it looks pig ugly, I'd get 'em to shift the vent to one of the
gable ends. Taking into account what happens to any condensation in the
duct work...

Some of the brickwork doesn't look too clever either - particularly next
door's gable, which seems to be built with bricks which don't match the
rest of the house.

I noticed that and why is it rendered already? Rendering is normally used
to cover something up that is best hidden. What's with the massive lead
(you can tell it's lead from the sulphate stain already forming on the
roof, have they not heard of patination oil?) around the chimneys, which
curiously doesn't extend around onto the gable wall. One decent blow and
that'll be ripped off.

If those things are symptomatic of the general standard of construction,
I think I would walk away right now before parting with any money!

Inclined to agree with that and with what Mr Sirett said about the
problems associated with a new build. Everything has a "bathtub" curve of
things going wrong.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately, it is not our company policy to give out copies of
architects drawings/electrical details etc

If they're getting arsey, i'd be tempted to look closer at stuff like
the wiring to see that it conforms to the new regs as regards
permitted runs (horizontal / vertical from an outlet etc) - new houses
used to have the stuff slung in on all sorts of funny angles to save a
few quid on cable over the entire site.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

You may want to have a look at some of the other houses to see if they,
too, have been rendered and then ask why.

At least ask why the one in the photograph has had the treatment.

Some years ago we bought a new house on an estate and noticed that half
a dozen had been rendered. It turned out that the bricklayers they had
used in that area of the estate were very much fourth division and the
brickwork simply had to be hidden.

On the same estate one almost finished house was demolished over a
weekend with stairs, windows and doors neatly piled up to the side. I've
never seen a house built quite so fast as the replacement was. It turned
out that the back wall of the house was two bricks longer than the front
wall and so the rooms were well out of true. Only came to light when the
plasterers put their try squares on and couldn't get the corners right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Dan
Green writes
[...]

The plans do belong to them, they are under no obligation to let you
have a copy if they don't want to - unless there is something in the
contract that says otherwise, you're buying a house, not the designs for
one (which might be of use to their competitors)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I think it is a slate roof rather than tiles of one form or the other like
the neighbours either side. Bit of a mish mash though, three different
roofing styles on adjacent buildings?

I assume the idea is to look more like a "natural" town street built up
over the years, rather than like an estate of identical boxes. Can't
fault the intention, even if it sounds like the execution isn't quite up
to par.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

The plans do belong to them, they are under no obligation to let you
have a copy if they don't want to - unless there is something in the
contract that says otherwise, you're buying a house, not the designs for
one (which might be of use to their competitors)

How will buyers know the house is being sold as advertised if buyers
do not have access to the plans to verify it? The rooms/plot size
could be smaller than they're supposed to be, for example.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Green wrote:

How will buyers know the house is being sold as advertised if buyers
do not have access to the plans to verify it? The rooms/plot size
could be smaller than they're supposed to be, for example.

If you're concerned about Barretts selling you a smaller house than they
promised, what's so much more trustworthy about their plans? Get your
tape-measure out and find out for yourself.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Dan
Green writes

geoff wrote:

The plans do belong to them, they are under no obligation to let you
have a copy if they don't want to - unless there is something in the
contract that says otherwise, you're buying a house, not the designs for
one (which might be of use to their competitors)

How will buyers know the house is being sold as advertised if buyers
do not have access to the plans to verify it? The rooms/plot size
could be smaller than they're supposed to be, for example.

You could use the same argument for almost anything you buy

Try, for example, asking Microsoft for a copy of Vista source code, so
you can be sure it does what it says on the can,

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dan Green wrote:

geoff wrote:

The plans do belong to them, they are under no obligation to let you
have a copy if they don't want to - unless there is something in the
contract that says otherwise, you're buying a house, not the designs for
one (which might be of use to their competitors)

How will buyers know the house is being sold as advertised if buyers
do not have access to the plans to verify it? The rooms/plot size
could be smaller than they're supposed to be, for example.

You would need to retain copies (originals if possible) of the
promotional materials. I.e. the advertising on which you base(d) your
decision to buy. And any letters, etc. that are relevant. Unless they
actually positively used the plans you briefly saw as promotional
material I don't see why you would need them to prove whether or not it
is "as advertised". If push came to shove, a court might have the power
to demand the plans be produced - but that would need checking with
someone who knows something about the law.

--
Rod

Hypothyroidism is a common, serious condition with an insidious onset
and is often undiagnosed.
www.thyromind.info www.thyroiduk.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 23:15, F wrote:
You may want to have a look at some of the other houses to see if they,
too, have been rendered and then ask why.

At least ask why the one in the photograph has had the treatment.

snip

Do you think they would answer honestly if it was shoddy workmanship?

"Why's that house been rendered and the rest left as plain brick?"

"Oh, that's because the brickies we used for that build were ****!"

"I want my deposit back".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

You would need to retain copies (originals if possible) of the
promotional materials. I.e. the advertising on which you base(d) your
decision to buy. And any letters, etc. that are relevant. Unless they
actually positively used the plans you briefly saw as promotional
material I don't see why you would need them to prove whether or not it
is "as advertised". If push came to shove, a court might have the power
to demand the plans be produced - but that would need checking with
someone who knows something about the law.

Don't the usual terms & conditions expressly state that no
reliance should be placed on any published plans or dimensions
(let alone actual construction drawings).

Seems pretty poor to me - you put your deposit down on the basis
of what they tell you, they then build what they want.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Rod wrote:

You would need to retain copies (originals if possible) of the
promotional materials. I.e. the advertising on which you base(d) your
decision to buy. And any letters, etc. that are relevant. Unless they
actually positively used the plans you briefly saw as promotional
material I don't see why you would need them to prove whether or not it
is "as advertised". If push came to shove, a court might have the power
to demand the plans be produced - but that would need checking with
someone who knows something about the law.

Don't the usual terms & conditions expressly state that no
reliance should be placed on any published plans or dimensions
(let alone actual construction drawings).

Seems pretty poor to me - you put your deposit down on the basis
of what they tell you, they then build what they want.

I do agree - it would be much better if any such plans were made part of
the contract with full accessibility. Fair enoguh adding a comment that
you shouldn't drill through a wall in case there is an elctric
cable/pipe/something else.

Surely the original plans should be the starting point for home
information packs?

--
Rod

Hypothyroidism is a common, serious condition with an insidious onset
and is often undiagnosed.
www.thyromind.info www.thyroiduk.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:19:35 +0000, Rod wrote:

Surely the original plans should be the starting point for home
information packs?

There are no orginal documents of any sort relating to this house or to
the land it is built on. They were lost/destroyed in the region of 200
years ago, the orginal house is about 300 years old...

Not everybody lives in identiboxes. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 06/03/2008 08:42 Jon wrote:

Do you think they would answer honestly if it was shoddy workmanship?

No, but I'd have a good idea as to whether or not the answer sounded
'reasonable'. They don't go to the expense of rendering odd houses
without good reason...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 06/03/2008 08:42 Jon wrote:

Do you think they would answer honestly if it was shoddy workmanship?

No, but I'd have a good idea as to whether or not the answer sounded
'reasonable'. They don't go to the expense of rendering odd houses
without good reason...

It may be no more than a question of making houses 'look different'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

Don't the usual terms & conditions expressly state that no
reliance should be placed on any published plans or dimensions
(let alone actual construction drawings).

Yep. They don't guarantee the plot and house size. You could end up with a
garden 3/4 the size on the promotional material, or a different size. Get a
surveyor to visit and measure out the plot and house, preferably with site
manager in attendance. They will say they don't recognise the measurements.
Send a letter to them and they will not respond. By not responding they may
have accepted the plot and house size by default.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
You may want to have a look at some of the other houses to see if they,
too, have been rendered and then ask why.

At least ask why the one in the photograph has had the treatment.

snip

Our last house is half rendered.

In the rendered parts the construction is some kind of extra-thick
insulation block with polystyrene (I think!) insulation in the middle,
rather than a cavity wall.

Sometimes it *is* just done for effect.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Incidentally, the property in question is a 4 bedroom link-detached
house in the Pavilions development, Southmead, Bristol. Admittedly it
is in a dodgy area of town but the sale price is £237k. Surely this
price is good value for money? A very similar house next door sold for
£300k. How much would you pay for such a property?

Do you expect it to go into negative equity, if at all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Green wrote:
Incidentally, the property in question is a 4 bedroom link-detached
house in the Pavilions development, Southmead, Bristol. Admittedly it
is in a dodgy area of town but the sale price is £237k. Surely this
price is good value for money? A very similar house next door sold for
£300k. How much would you pay for such a property?

Do you expect it to go into negative equity, if at all?

Looking at things around here, it seems to me that people have been pushed
out of desirable city suburbs into satellite towns and less desirable
suburbs. I certainly won't be buying property for a year or two yet, as the
prices in outlying towns have absolutely jumped, and there's no way the
locals can afford the kind of money houses now cost. As soon as your
commuters / exiles go back to the city then your house prices will follow.
Of course much of the boom is also driven by lack of supply, and as that
problems solved, there's bound to be some slowdown.

OTOH I'm talking about North of Nottingham, not Bristol, but my view with
all things is quality is quality and it's always worth something. A good
house in a good area will always be worth a decent amout of cash, but during
a big boom people begin to tolerate less "boxes ticked" just to be able to
afford a place.

Do you know what the house is built on by the way? I've been to developments
that are still being built, with completed houses already sinking...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-05, Dan Green wrote:

Hello,

I am a first time buyer for a home and as such am not as savvy as I
would hope to be when making such a large investment. As such I would
appreciate any advice on offer.

I am in the process of securing a mortgage for a home built by Bryant
Homes.

Oh, dear.

My parents bought a house from Bryant Homes, and as a result, I would
never do business with them. I still remember walking around the Acrow
props on the ground floor, some 40 years later.

It seems a bit unfair to judge todays company on the behaviour of its
predeccor 40 years ago. It's quite possible that there is /nobody/
working for Bryant Homes now who was working for them then.

The world is a very different place to the way it was in 1968.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-05, Dan Green wrote:

My parents bought a house from Bryant Homes, and as a result, I would
never do business with them. I still remember walking around the
Acrow props on the ground floor, some 40 years later.

It seems a bit unfair to judge todays company on the behaviour of its
predeccor 40 years ago. It's quite possible that there is /nobody/
working for Bryant Homes now who was working for them then.

The world is a very different place to the way it was in 1968.

If companies like that have changed in the intervening 40 years, it would
probably be unwise to assume that any changes will have been for the
*better*!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-05, Dan Green wrote:
Hello,

I am a first time buyer for a home and as such am not as savvy as I
would hope to be when making such a large investment. As such I would
appreciate any advice on offer.

I am in the process of securing a mortgage for a home built by Bryant
Homes.

Oh, dear.

My parents bought a house from Bryant Homes, and as a result, I would
never do business with them. I still remember walking around the
Acrow props on the ground floor, some 40 years later.

I recall the era and steered away fron Bryants due to the state of their
sites when wishing to buy a new home in the W Midlands. Bryants today is, I
believe, just a brand name for TaylorWimpey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
Dan Green wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Are you able to elaborate? Are these Brownfield Sites that were
former colliery areas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clot" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Dan Green wrote:
[...]

There is no reason to suspect that colliery areas are likely to sink.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Dan Green wrote:
[...]

I mentioned brownfield sites. Much development has been on the former
surface workings areas of pits. I wondered whether there was an issue
related to this.

Building control in two stages - full plans / building notice [email protected] UK diy 5 September 27th 05 10:17 AM
Building Plans Jim White UK diy 2 May 27th 05 10:51 PM
No drip cap above casement windows on side of building, is this normal? jay Home Repair 4 May 2nd 05 05:28 PM
Experiences with building trac homes Mark Home Ownership 4 February 22nd 05 07:12 AM
Help - Building extension Plans pauliepie UK diy 8 February 16th 05 01:50 PM