Old March 4th 08, 09:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cold room above garage (did you fix yours?)

Hi,

We've got a bedroom above the garage in our eight year old house which
is always 5 deg C colder (or more) than the rest of the house on cold
days. The fact that the bedroom floor is always cold leads me to
believe the insulation requires significant improvement between the
garage ceiling and bedroom floor.

I've read these previous threads which seem sensible:

http://xrl.us/bg5jr (Link to groups.google.co.uk)

and this:

http://xrl.us/bg5jt (Link to www.diynot.com)

What I'd like to know is has anyone suffered with this cold room above
garage syndrome, improved the insulation, and actually fixed the
problem? If you have, can you state what you did and what materials
you used please? I can't pull up the flooring as we've just had new
carpet laid but would be prepared to pull down the plaster ceiling if
necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Old March 4th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jon writes:
[...]

Mine has fibreglass (looks like regular loft insulation)
in the gap. There's probably around 6" -- certainly it's
most of the 8" (IIRC) height of the joists. (That's a 1990
house.)

My parents recently had a single storey flat roofed extension
insulated. (Built in 1964, originally just foil backed board
and strawboard roof as insulation. Strawboard had been
replaced with ply.) I wasn't there, but I understand
they took down a strip of plasterboard along the centre
of the room perpendicular to the joists, and slid more
solid fibreglass bats along above the ceiling to the
edges. Ceiling was then repaired and the room was to be
decorated anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 4th 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Jon" wrote in message
[...]

Mine has always been warm even though the long wall is north facing

Ceiling of garage is 2 x half inch plasterboard to give required fire
protection ( built in 1991 to regs current at the time)

space between ceiling and floor above filled with 6" fibreglass

interior walls thermalite blocks cavity filled with rockwool bats

Ceiling of room standard plasterboard 6" fibreglass above boarded over for
storage

Tony

Old March 4th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 10:03, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jon writes:

[...]

I'm not too worried about the finish as the ceiling is only in the
garage. The trouble is there is already some poor quality loft
insulation in the void and I would have to get that out first before
putting in the rockwool, which could be a problem.

Nice idea about cutting out a strip of plaster though and pushing in
the new insulation. Removing all the plasterboard will be very messy
and I don't fancy it at all, but it needs must ....

Thanks,

Jon
Old March 4th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jon wrote:
[...]

Possibly not quite the approach you were thinking of - but have you
considered a new mattress?

We changed mattress a while ago and the difference in warmth is amazing.
The one we got has a hefty layer of warm material where the old one
let a breeze through. I haven't used a winter weight duvet this winter -
at all.

The room itself might still freeze (ours is not over a garage) but that
is less of a problem when we are toasty warm in bed.

--
Rod

Old March 4th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 13:18, Rod wrote:
Jon wrote:
[...]

The room itself is used as a study so nobody sleeps in there, but it
would be nice if I could get the room to be the same temperature as
the rest of the house by insulating it better.
Old March 4th 08, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jon writes:

[...]

BTW, the removed strip straddled the nogins, so they could
push the bats up either side to both edges.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 4th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Jon" wrote in message
On 4 Mar, 13:18, Rod wrote:
Jon wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the loose fill rockwool cavity insulation (the stuff that is
blown in) could be used in the same way to fill between the floors

would just be a few smallish holes in the ceiling to deal with

Tony

may be worth asking a company what they think

Old March 4th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 14:45, "TMC" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

On 4 Mar, 13:18, Rod wrote:

Jon wrote:
[...]

I have considered this option, but for it to work properly I'd still
need to remove the existing insulation which is in place which would
involve cutting plasterboard out. If I'm having to cut plasterboard
out, I might aswell use rockwool slabs as it would be more insulative.
I'm sure someone would be able to confirm or not though.

Thanks,

Jon
Old March 4th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jon" wrote in message

We've got a bedroom above the garage in our eight year old house which
is always 5 deg C colder (or more) than the rest of the house on cold
days. The fact that the bedroom floor is always cold leads me to
believe the insulation requires significant improvement between the
garage ceiling and bedroom floor.

This may be a deeply unfashionable thing to suggest, and may be highly
offensive to some regulars on this group, but I'll say it anyway:

Have you considered putting a bit more heat into the room? Is the
radiator at the same temperature (in and out) as the others in the
house? Does it have a thermostatic valve, and if so, is it set and
working correctly? Could you put a suitably controlled larger radiator
in, or substitute a double for a single?

Depending on how long you intend to live there, and how much of the day
you need the room to be warm, it may even be more cost-effective than
buying lots of insulation. A quick look at the calculations for the
system I've just put in suggests that the most heat loss you could hope
to save would be perhaps a couple of hundred watts.

There, I've said it.

At least you say you've got a carpet in there, which will help: better
than a solid-copper-with fins-underneath floor, or whatever is
fashionable today.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Humidity in cold storage room car crash Home Repair 4 September 3rd 07 02:15 PM
Cold room in warm zone Donna Home Repair 1 November 13th 06 05:39 PM
Cold Loft Room Griffo Home Repair 1 February 28th 06 10:58 PM
Hot Radiator, Cold Room. SpeedyC UK diy 6 March 1st 04 11:05 AM