Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealant for petrol tank

Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the
tank is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank
is deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the
new seal will not seat correctly. New tank is £500 + labour, car worth
£2000.
So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:37:47 -0800, nafuk wrote:

Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the tank
is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank is
deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the new seal
will not seat correctly. New tank is £500 + labour, car worth £2000.
So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you

==================================
I'm not sure where the damaged seal is but you could google for
"Petropatch" and see if one of their products will help.

Cic.

--
==================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nafuk wrote:

Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the
tank is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank
is deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the
new seal will not seat correctly. New tank is £500 + labour, car worth
£2000.
So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you

That all sounds completely wrong to me!

The filler cap has to be able to 'breathe' in order to allow air in as the
petrol gets used up. Failure to breathe results in a vacuum - whereby the
tank collapses under atmospheric pressure.

What exactly is your problem?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
nafuk wrote:

Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the
tank is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank
is deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the
new seal will not seat correctly. New tank is £500 + labour, car worth
£2000.
So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you

That all sounds completely wrong to me!

The filler cap has to be able to 'breathe' in order to allow air in as the
petrol gets used up. Failure to breathe results in a vacuum - whereby the
tank collapses under atmospheric pressure.

No. To reduce pollution modern cars do run with a partial vacuum in the
tank. And a fully sealed cap.

If the tank is leaky this will upset the whole fuel/fume control, and
probably is an MOT failure if they actually checked.

I would suggest a tank from a scrapyard.

And someone a bit less aggressive than your current car mechanic.

What exactly is your problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:39:41 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
nafuk wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't .How does he know it is not the same as the one it is
replacing .

It seems extremely odd that a problem where the seal is defective
requires the tank to be replaced at such a cost . I'd be looking for a
second opinion . I'm assuming the seal is somewhere around where the
neck meets the body of the car . How on earth can the tank get
"deformed" because of a defective seal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
nafuk *wrote:

[...]

Hi, thank you for the replies. I am not the only one with this
problem. If I get a used tank it may also be deformed. Believe me, I
have researched this a bit. Anyone know of a product that will seal
the tank?
Thank you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stillnobodyhome ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

It seems extremely odd that a problem where the seal is defective
requires the tank to be replaced at such a cost . I'd be looking for a
second opinion . I'm assuming the seal is somewhere around where the
neck meets the body of the car . How on earth can the tank get
"deformed" because of a defective seal.

If the "seal" is reasonably substantial, even when compressed, but the
tank flange it meets isn't, then I can certainly picture torqueing the
fasteners up deforming the flange to the point where the main way to
guarantee a good seal is to replace the tank.

There would have to be a heavy element of bad design involved, though...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Feb, 11:37, nafuk wrote:
Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the
tank is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank
is deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the
new seal will not seat correctly. New tank is £500 + labour, car worth
£2000.
So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you

Someone has suggested gasket sealant
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_121715

Looks like it may do the job. Any comments?
Thank you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, thank you for the replies. I am not the only one with this
problem. If I get a used tank it may also be deformed. Believe me, I
have researched this a bit. Anyone know of a product that will seal
the tank?
Thank you

Are you sure you know exactly where the leak is, can you describe the
geometry, what are the materials and what sort of access do you have?
Petropatch will certainly seal petrol tanks OK, it is a fabric patch which
you stick in place with a sort of thick paint goo. If you are only sealing
against vapour, not fluid, plenty of things will stick and seal given proper
surface preparation; epoxy resin, silicone rubber sealant, car body filler,
"fibre-glass" kits, etc. Depending on the geometry you might be able to use
a length of suitable inner tube or other rubber sheeting, perhaps clamped
with jubilee clips. For "glues" the issues may include movement from
vibration or thermal expansion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Someone has suggested gasket sealant
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_121715

This will resist petrol, but remember it is designed for sealing as a very
thin layer in a relatively wide flange. While you can use it on pitted
flanges, it will just fill the space; the sealing is done elsewhere. It
doesn't really harden except perhaps at the exposed edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nafuk wrote:
Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the
tank is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank
is deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the
new seal will not seat correctly. New tank is £500 + labour, car worth
£2000.
So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you

Try Frost Auto Restoration. They have an extensive range of fuel tank
solutions. No idea if they work!

http://www.frost.co.uk/

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:18:20 -0000, "newshound"
wrote:

[...]

You've never replaced a car's petrol tank have you ? :-) :-) :-)

Petrol strimmers Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 73 June 14th 07 08:16 PM
Wow, just an egg cupfull of petrol Kev UK diy 30 August 3rd 06 11:30 AM
[OT] 99 Octane petrol vortex2 UK diy 135 May 26th 06 01:27 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
bathroom sealant stuff - petrol resistant? Chris Bacon UK diy 5 April 29th 05 08:33 PM