Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What brick is this ...

Hi All,

I'm trying to mage good a hole in a wall where a flue terminal went
through and need half a dozen or so new yellow stock pattern type
bricks to match the originals.

They look like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24204704@N03/2298252660/

(assuming that works, only just created the account).

The b.i.l. found me some that look very similar but are more pink and
I believe they will stand out when placed in a little patch as with a
filled hole (rather than spread about etc) :-(

Any idea who might stock such please (Nth London / Herts) and what
they might be called (other than 'bricks' of course) so I can ask for
the right things. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I'm trying to mage good a hole in a wall where a flue terminal went
through and need half a dozen or so new yellow stock pattern type
bricks to match the originals.

They look like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24204704@N03/2298252660/

(assuming that works, only just created the account).

The b.i.l. found me some that look very similar but are more pink and
I believe they will stand out when placed in a little patch as with a
filled hole (rather than spread about etc) :-(

Any idea who might stock such please (Nth London / Herts) and what
they might be called (other than 'bricks' of course) so I can ask for
the right things. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Dunno - there are so many different bricks, and they may not still be making
bricks exactly like yours. Can you take one out, and take it round to a few
BMs, to try to find the best match? [If you *can* get one out and clean it
up, it will probably say on the frog who made it]

Is there any part of the house which is less conspicuous - from which you
could nick a few bricks and replace them with something which doesn't quite
match?

Whoever built the wall shown in your photo was pretty economical with the
bricks and generous with the mortar! Was that an extension built with metric
bricks - with the brick courses needing to line up with the original house
built with imperial bricks?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:41:06 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

Any idea who might stock such please (Nth London / Herts) and what
they might be called (other than 'bricks' of course) so I can ask for
the right things. ;-)

Dunno - there are so many different bricks, and they may not still be making
bricks exactly like yours.

Oh .. :-(

Can you take one out, and take it round to a few
BMs, to try to find the best match? [If you *can* get one out and clean it
up, it will probably say on the frog who made it]

Well (it's actually my next-door neighbours) and when I pull the flue
out I might be able to see into one of the frogs (good idea).

Is there any part of the house which is less conspicuous - from which you
could nick a few bricks and replace them with something which doesn't quite
match?

Not easily I'm afraid. The neighbour himself probably wouldn't care
especially as it's only us that going to see it (this is a ground
floor extension / bathroom on the rear addition on a Victorian
terraced cottage) but I thought I'd try to get the best match I could
before I start sticking bricks back in for him.

Whoever built the wall shown in your photo was pretty economical with the
bricks and generous with the mortar!

I think it was a friend or relative of the previous owner. ;-)

Was that an extension built with metric
bricks -

Yes, I believe so.

with the brick courses needing to line up with the original house
built with imperial bricks?

I don't think they even tried Roger (looking at the few bricks I can
see that actually touch the old brickwork).

I had that same issue when my BIL built a similar bathroom on the back
of ours, except we actually used genuine reclaimed stocks (and slated
lean-to / pitched roof rather than flat).

My issue was they started to brick up using a std brick gauge rather
than following the existing course lines and after a few feet it all
went out of synch (and this was a very visible wall on a public road).
I questioned the fact and they said it couldn't be done any other way.
After a prolonged discussion (that was going nowhere) I asked them to
leave the job and *I* would remove the bad courses and re-brick
myself (slowly) and that seemed to be sufficient for them to suddenly
be able to do the same! ;-)

All the best and thanks Roger ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news

Whoever built the wall shown in your photo was pretty economical with the
bricks and generous with the mortar!

My Dad used, jokingly, to ask if mortar was to hold bicks together or hold
them apart.

I could never work it out ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 28 Feb, 12:43, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to mage good a hole in a wall where a flue terminal went
through and need half a dozen or so new yellow stock pattern type
bricks to match the originals.

They look like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24204704@N03/2298252660/

(assuming that works, only just created the account).

The b.i.l. found me some that look very similar but are more pink and
I believe they will stand out when placed in a little patch as with a
filled hole (rather than spread about etc) :-(

Any idea who might stock such please (Nth London / Herts) and what
they might be called (other than 'bricks' of course) so I can ask for
the right things. *;-)

All the best ..

T i m

They are London Bricks (LBC) - I don't recall the exact name, but
search the Hanson Brick web site

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
On 28 Feb, 12:43, T i m wrote:
[...]

Or have a look at

http://www.allaboutbricks.co.uk/

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:24:24 -0800 (PST), dg
wrote:

They are London Bricks (LBC) -

They are indeed, I pulled the mortar out of the now exposed bottom
brick and I saw 'London' in the mortar! ;-)

I don't recall the exact name, but
search the Hanson Brick web site

Thanks for that, I think they are these ...(Hanson's site)

http://tinyurl.com/2fcyre

Scroll down four, "IRONSTONE" ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24204704@N03/2298252660/

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:13:32 GMT, "ARWadworth"
wrote:

Or have a look at

http://www.allaboutbricks.co.uk/

Adam

Thanks for that Adam (and others), you wouldn't suspect there was so
much to 'just' bricks eh? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:09:59 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

My Dad used, jokingly, to ask if mortar was to hold bicks together or hold
them apart.

Ah, it all make more sense now ... (it's hereditary) ;-)

I could never work it out ...

Even with a pencil?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:09:59 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

My Dad used, jokingly, to ask if mortar was to hold bricks together or
hold
them apart.

Ah, it all make more sense now ... (it's hereditary) ;-)

I could never work it out ...

Even with a pencil?

You didn't spot the deliberate mistake - I put it in just for you!

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are London Bricks (LBC) -

They are indeed, I pulled the mortar out of the now exposed bottom
brick and I saw 'London' in the mortar! ;-)

I don't recall the exact name, but
search the Hanson Brick web site

Thanks for that, I think they are these ...(Hanson's site)

http://tinyurl.com/2fcyre

Scroll down four, "IRONSTONE" ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24204704@N03/2298252660/

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

Put two together and wait for them to mate.

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:27:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

Put two together and wait for them to mate.

Ah, and that's where your plan falls over Mary, I don't even have two
... :-(

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

Put two together and wait for them to mate.

Ah, and that's where your plan falls over Mary, I don't even have two
.. :-(

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

Yes, cornmeal. You'd certainly end up with yellow bricks if you did :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are London Bricks (LBC) -

They are indeed, I pulled the mortar out of the now exposed bottom
brick and I saw 'London' in the mortar! ;-)

I don't recall the exact name, but
search the Hanson Brick web site

Thanks for that, I think they are these ...(Hanson's site)

http://tinyurl.com/2fcyre

Scroll down four, "IRONSTONE" ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24204704@N03/2298252660/

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

All the best ..

T i m

You could try any local builders yard now you know the name of them.
Jewsons comes to mind, but they may be limited.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:04:07 +0000, Bob H wrote:

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

You could try any local builders yard now you know the name of them.

Ok ta. I asked because I wasn't sure if I could buy just 10 or had to
get a whole pallet etc?

Jewsons comes to mind, but they may be limited.

I called my local branch yesterday and they mentioned another London
branch held bigger stocks. I just rang the other branch and they do
indeed have a few thousand in stock (but are quite a trek).

I then rang Hanson (an email to their sales bounced) who have now
given me an even closer stockist and they have 7000 in stock. ;-)

I'll pop down there in a mo and see what they have got and if they are
more yellow than the ones I was given by the BIL.

Something I learnt from the nice lady at Hanson is that these London
Brick bricks have the pattern sprayed on top of a basic plain brick
and hence how you can get different colour results depending on the
colour of the base brick.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:31:13 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

Yes, cornmeal. You'd certainly end up with yellow bricks if you did :-)

Result. I'll give Morphy Richards a ring and see if they do a std
brick shaped mould for this bread making machine we borrowed.

That might also be of interest to people selling their houses as it
could be used as part of the scene setting. ie, If you were selling
your house to a builder the smell of freshly baked bricks might just
swing the deal.

Right, off to get some grey food dye for my marzipan mortar mix ...

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

Put two together and wait for them to mate.

Ah, and that's where your plan falls over Mary, I don't even have two
.. :-(

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

Yes, cornmeal. You'd certainly end up with yellow bricks if you did
:-)

Mary

Oh, Mary, you're a brick! [How do you you fancy being part of Time wall?]
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

Yes, cornmeal. You'd certainly end up with yellow bricks if you did :-)

Result. I'll give Morphy Richards a ring and see if they do a std
brick shaped mould for this bread making machine we borrowed.

That might also be of interest to people selling their houses as it
could be used as part of the scene setting. ie, If you were selling
your house to a builder the smell of freshly baked bricks might just
swing the deal.

Right, off to get some grey food dye for my marzipan mortar mix ...

I think you're joking but after Spouse built the stone bread oven we held a
First Baking Pizza Party (people made their own small pizzas and baked them)
and I made a model of the oven. I did use marzipan for the stones and baked
them to make them hard then built the oven using brown icing (made with
brown sugar) for the mortar. It had a moulded chocolate door and when it was
opened out poured lots of marzipan slugs and snails.

It was a hit!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

wrote:

So, now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

Put two together and wait for them to mate.

Ah, and that's where your plan falls over Mary, I don't even have two
.. :-(

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

Yes, cornmeal. You'd certainly end up with yellow bricks if you did
:-)

Mary

Oh, Mary, you're a brick! [How do you you fancy being part of Time wall?]

You mean you want to seal me behind a wall?

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Oh, Mary, you're a brick! [How do you you fancy being part of Tim's
wall?]

You mean you want to seal me behind a wall?

:-)

Mary

No, not *behind* the wall - *in* the wall - you'd still be visible! g

[The original quote, now corrected above, should have said Tim's wall rather
than Time wall - don't know why I typed Time!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:58:04 -0000, "Roger Mills"

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Oh, Mary, you're a brick! [How do you you fancy being part of Tim's
wall?]

You mean you want to seal me behind a wall?

:-)

Mary

No, not *behind* the wall - *in* the wall - you'd still be visible! g

[The original quote, now corrected above, should have said Tim's wall rather
than Time wall - don't know why I typed Time!]

"All in all she's just another brick in the wall .. " ;-)

All the best ..

Time

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Take a long an existing brick or photo to Butterfields brick library
in Luton they should be able to match it for you.

http://www.butterfieldbrick.co.uk/brickmerchants/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Oh, Mary, you're a brick! [How do you you fancy being part of Tim's
wall?]

You mean you want to seal me behind a wall?

:-)

Mary

No, not *behind* the wall - *in* the wall - you'd still be visible! g

[The original quote, now corrected above, should have said Tim's wall
rather than Time wall - don't know why I typed Time!]

Ah - it was the reference to 'Time' which threw me!

I'll willingly be bricked up for Tim :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:50:16 -0800 (PST), bob
wrote:

Take a long an existing brick or photo to Butterfields brick library
in Luton they should be able to match it for you.

http://www.butterfieldbrick.co.uk/brickmerchants/

Thanks for the link Bob, now book marked.

I think I have determined (with some help from my friends g) it is a
London Brick 'Ironstone' and I hope to get to a local stockist
tomorrow or Monday and see how similar theirs are to what we have
already.

At the end of the day this is just a hole blocking job on a simple
extension but I like to do it right if I can. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m