Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Conservatory roof-glass or plastic

My parents have a large conservatory which has a platic roof. They
want to change it to a glass one-one company has said that the panels
are too large to support the glass. Any thoughts on this-or advantages/
disavantages of both systems ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 08:33, "
wrote:
My parents have a large conservatory which has a platic roof. They
want to change it to a glass one-one company has said that the panels
are too large to support the glass. Any thoughts on this-or advantages/
disavantages of both systems ?

Basically glass is a lot heavier and all components including the
walls may not be strong enough to support it.
Glass is a lot quieter when it rains !
Simon,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

On 25 Feb, 08:33, "
wrote:
My parents have a large conservatory which has a platic roof. They
want to change it to a glass one-one company has said that the
panels are too large to support the glass. Any thoughts on this-or
advantages/ disavantages of both systems ?

Basically glass is a lot heavier and all components including the
walls may not be strong enough to support it.
Glass is a lot quieter when it rains !
Simon,

Also anything falling on it - like bits of roof tile - are more likely to
break glass than plastic. I suspect that triple layer plastic has much
better insulating properties than glass too - or are they thinking of
double-glazed glass (*frightfully* heavy!)?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
My parents have a large conservatory which has a platic roof. They
want to change it to a glass one-one company has said that the panels
are too large to support the glass. Any thoughts on this-or advantages/
disavantages of both systems ?

They probably are too big then. I can't see them turning down business.
I decided to have a plastic roof anyway as I don't want to be able to look
up and see the stars, bird muck, etc.
However it is a self supporting system that has panels about 70mm thick with
self-contained metal strips to support the span.
The span is limited to about 4m with the one I am using though.

Unless there is a good reason to take the plastic off why bother?
Unless you tell us the reason it is shooting in the dark as different
plastic systems have different benefits/problems.
What is the roof ATM, plastic is so vague?
How big?

Conservatory glass roof [email protected] UK diy 2 November 3rd 07 06:51 PM
Conservatory roof - Glass or Poly ? Roly UK diy 4 February 20th 07 02:11 PM
Help - Conservatory Roof Coming Apart! [email protected] UK diy 5 January 2nd 07 09:55 PM
Conservatory roof poppyo UK diy 6 March 9th 06 02:59 PM
Conservatory Roof Glass ? mark b UK diy 2 December 11th 04 08:40 AM