Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water main "trace wire"

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre. The purpose of Trace
Wire is to enable the location of the service pipe in the future. The
wire must be 1.5mm single strand BLUE plastic coated to 6491 standard
and installed on ALL installations.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:07:27 -0800, sm_jamieson wrote:

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of cable
ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre. The purpose of Trace Wire is
to enable the location of the service pipe in the future. The wire must
be 1.5mm single strand BLUE plastic coated to 6491 standard and
installed on ALL installations.

I suppose this makes sense if the pipe is plastic. It gives a metal
detector something to look for, if nothing else! :-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre. The purpose of Trace
Wire is to enable the location of the service pipe in the future. The
wire must be 1.5mm single strand BLUE plastic coated to 6491 standard
and installed on ALL installations.

Sounds like utter ******** to me.

I have successfully traced MDPE water pipes using a "Cat" scanner and a
transmitter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Feb, 22:28, "RW" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre. The purpose of Trace
Wire is to enable the location of the service pipe in the future. The
wire must be 1.5mm single strand BLUE plastic coated to 6491 standard
and installed on ALL installations.

Sounds like utter ******** to me.

I have successfully traced MDPE water pipes using a "Cat" scanner and a
transmitter.

Is this wire in the building regs ? It came off some the Bristol Water
plc website.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:07:27 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson
wrote:

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre.

I'd have thought that 'not more than 1 metre' might have been more
appropriate.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre.

I'd have thought that 'not more than 1 metre' might have been more
appropriate.

Depends whether they are referring to frequency or distance.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:33:04 -0000, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

.. .
wrote:

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main
all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre.

I'd have thought that 'not more than 1 metre' might have been more
appropriate.

Depends whether they are referring to frequency or distance.

A metre is usually a measure of distance :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:28:41 -0000, "RW" wrote:

Sounds like utter ******** to me.

I have successfully traced MDPE water pipes using a "Cat" scanner and a
transmitter.

"veeery interestiing".
I have several buried polyethylene water lines in my yard / garden.
I'd like to trace them.

Can you give me a reference to this techniquen please.

Thank you
John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water
main all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of
cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre.

I'd have thought that 'not more than 1 metre' might have been more
appropriate.

Depends whether they are referring to frequency or distance.

A metre is usually a measure of distance :-)

The other kind is a metronome - it's a common mistake...