Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House Maintenance Costs

Has anybody ever seen any published figures for maintenance costs. I am
thinking along the lines of the figures for rebuilding costs. ie 1930's 3
bed semi would have an average of £x spent on maintenance each year.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Has anybody ever seen any published figures for maintenance costs. I am
thinking along the lines of the figures for rebuilding costs. ie 1930's 3
bed semi would have an average of £x spent on maintenance each year.

The trouble is its far from average.

A friend one told me that in general a house lasts about 120 years
effectively. It gets a minor refirb - say 10% of its cost - every 15
years, a bigger refurb - say 20% of its dcost every 30 years and a
complete strip and redo about every 60 years, up to 50% of the cost of
redoing the whole structure.

The process repeats except that at 120 years its so bloody out of date
that you tend to start over with a pile of rubble instead ;-)

Bare structurecststo rebuodl are £60-£100/sq ft roughly. But a class
refurb to ditzy interiors standards can cost as much as that

I think you wouldn't be far wrong to say that around £1-£1.50 a sq ft
annualised is probably a fair price to maintain a house in every
respect. And I mean in every way possible..new curtains, carpets
furniture appliances and the like, as well as servicing decorating and
so on.

Alarming isn't it?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Zen83237 wrote:

[...]

Figures depend on the type of house, eg old houses can need a lot
more ongoing work than modern. TNP's figures strike me as more
fitting for vanity refurbs than genuine maintenance though. Of
course it also depends on how one approaches it, I've seen one
house maintained on a mind bogglingly low budget, and others
where people have simply done what they've been told, and spent
a huge amount of money unnecesarily. They thought it was all
necessary, but believing what one is told can be foolish at times..

50% of cost every 60 years seems a bit wild.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:

[...]

HOUSE cost. Not actual 'house with land, in situation' PRICE.
If you think 2 grand a year is NOT what you spend in a small house on
redecoarting, servicing boilers, replainf ded washingmachines, ligh
bulbs, etc etc etc I think you are lucky..
\
If you think that a full refirb on a small house is LESS than 30 grand,
I am amazed.

Being as how the *replacement* cost for a 1000 sq ft house is about
60-100 grand.

Which i also why unless its listed, its often a better bet pulling it
down and starting over.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
Zen83237 wrote:

Has anybody ever seen any published figures for maintenance costs. I am
thinking along the lines of the figures for rebuilding costs. ie 1930's 3
bed semi would have an average of 0

The trouble is its far from average.

A friend one told me that in general a house lasts about 120 years
effectively. It gets a minor refirb - say 10% of its cost - every 15
years, a bigger refurb - say 20% of its dcost every 30 years and a
complete strip and redo about every 60 years, up to 50% of the cost of
redoing the whole structure.

The process repeats except that at 120 years its so bloody out of date
that you tend to start over with a pile of rubble instead ;-)

Bare structurecststo rebuodl are 0 refurb to ditzy interiors standards can cost as much as that

I think you wouldn't be far wrong to say that around 0 annualised is probably a fair price to maintain a house in every
respect. And I mean in every way possible..new curtains, carpets
furniture appliances and the like, as well as servicing decorating and
so on.

Alarming isn't it?

Figures depend on the type of house, eg old houses can need a lot
more ongoing work than modern. TNP's figures strike me as more
fitting for vanity refurbs than genuine maintenance though. Of
course it also depends on how one approaches it, I've seen one
house maintained on a mind bogglingly low budget, and others
where people have simply done what they've been told, and spent
a huge amount of money unnecesarily. They thought it was all
necessary, but believing what one is told can be foolish at times..

50% of cost every 60 years seems a bit wild.

Unless you work on original sale price

I think my house cost something like £400 originally (I'd have to check
the deeds)

Of course, the cost of DIY and "getting a man in" are so wildly
different that it's a difficult thing to put a price on

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 6:24*pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
Has anybody ever seen any published figures for maintenance costs. I am
thinking along the lines of the figures for rebuilding costs. ie 1930's 3
bed semi would have an average of £x spent on maintenance each year.

Kevin

Rebuilding costs or maintenance costs? They'er different aren't
they. What is it that you're trying to work out and/or who are you
trying to convince of something?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"adder1969" wrote in message
On Feb 18, 6:24 pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
Has anybody ever seen any published figures for maintenance costs. I am
thinking along the lines of the figures for rebuilding costs. ie 1930's 3
bed semi would have an average of £x spent on maintenance each year.

Kevin

Rebuilding costs or maintenance costs? They'er different aren't
they. What is it that you're trying to work out and/or who are you
trying to convince of something?

I am answering a question on a mediation form that is looking into household
expenditure. One question is "House Maintenance" what ever that is. When I
go to mediation I can find out but I guess that I am not the first person
who has had to answer this question.
The trouble is maintenance is such a once in a blue moon but never the less
massive expense how do you equate it to a monthly figure that means
anything. Every 20 years I need a new boiler and every 60 years I need a new
roof. How does that equate to a an average monthy charge that is meaningful.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
"adder1969" wrote in message
[...]

Simple, take the replacement cost and divide by the lifetime.

And add in all the servicing needed in the meantime.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 1:34*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Zen83237 wrote:
"adder1969" wrote in message
[...]

That might well give you a figure for the building, but if it's to
work out the estimated outlay of the current occupier then you could
do it forecast over the estimated amount of time that the occupier
will be there. I don't expect to be in my current house in 10 years
time and I don't expect to have to do the roof in that time. ..but I
do expect to have to redecorate and mow the lawn etc etc. I dont'
expect to have to repaint windows etc as they're all upvc.