Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing timber to ceiling

Hi all.
I need to fix 2 short lengths of 46mm square pine
to the ceiling (newly skimmed)
Could I fix them in place with a few blobs of plaster
and support to them until it cures?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I need to fix 2 short lengths of 46mm square pine
to the ceiling (newly skimmed)
Could I fix them in place with a few blobs of plaster
and support to them until it cures?

Thanks.

Arthur

No this is not safe. Use screws through the timber an into the ceiling
joists.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davao" wrote in message
Hi all.
I need to fix 2 short lengths of 46mm square pine
to the ceiling (newly skimmed)
Could I fix them in place with a few blobs of plaster
and support to them until it cures?

Thanks.

Arthur

Only if you want them to drop off after a short time!
Try screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I need to fix 2 short lengths of 46mm square pine
to the ceiling (newly skimmed)
Could I fix them in place with a few blobs of plaster
and support to them until it cures?

Thanks.

Arthur

Arthur,

Generally not a good idea to fix 'em with "a few blobs of plaster" - there's
no real strenght there for that use.

If you really want to stick them to the ceiling, I would suggest that you
strip a couple of squares of plaster skim from the ceiling back to the
plasterboard (where pine is to be fitted) and use an adhesive such as
Unibond "No More Nails".

Remember though that this stuff will not support any great downward load
(the paper covering on the plasterboard will tear) if you intend to use the
pine to hang things off - the same applies if you screw the pine into the
'middle' of a lump of plasterboard.

Let the group know what they are to be used for and then the correct advice
can be given.

BRG