Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Contaminated Land Phase 1 and Phase 2 reports

I have at long last bought the old access road at the back of my
house, and have obtained planning permission to make it my garden and
parts of it into the gardens of my nieghbours (after much discussion
with them prior to selling them the appropriate parts).

Unfortunately the Planning Authority is asking fir Contaninated land
reports Parts 1 and 2 prior to developmnet.

Where do I get these reports?

May I write them myself? Writing official reports is meat and drink
to me :-)

The road consists of many layers of shale/hard core etc. which have
built up over the years.

The whole area was used for industrial purposed for centuries, so the
land is probably contaminated, but the only real problem I can see is
a thin layer of tarmac scalpings, on top of the road.

Dave Fawthrop
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb, 16:47, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I have at long last bought the old access road at the back of my
house, and have obtained planning permission to make it my garden and
parts of it into the gardens of my nieghbours (after much discussion
with them prior to selling them the appropriate parts).

Unfortunately the Planning Authority is asking fir Contaninated land
reports Parts 1 and 2 prior to developmnet.

Where do I get these reports?

May I write them myself? Writing official reports is meat and drink
to me :-)

The road consists of many layers of shale/hard core etc. which have
built up over the years.

The whole area was used for industrial purposed for centuries, so the
land is probably contaminated, but the only real problem I can see is
a thin layer of tarmac scalpings, on top of the road.

Dave Fawthrop

What development are you doing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:47:20 -0800 (PST), Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

I have at long last bought the old access road at the back of my
house, and have obtained planning permission to make it my garden and
parts of it into the gardens of my nieghbours (after much discussion
with them prior to selling them the appropriate parts).

Unfortunately the Planning Authority is asking fir Contaninated land
reports Parts 1 and 2 prior to developmnet.

Where do I get these reports?

May I write them myself? Writing official reports is meat and drink
to me :-)

The road consists of many layers of shale/hard core etc. which have
built up over the years.

The whole area was used for industrial purposed for centuries, so the
land is probably contaminated, but the only real problem I can see is
a thin layer of tarmac scalpings, on top of the road.

Dave Fawthrop

Last night's agrand designs cost £5k for the soil testing on old
industrial ground.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mogga writes:

Last night's agrand designs cost £5k for the soil testing on old
industrial ground.

A land area near where I used to work which Sainsbury's bought
and then failed to get planning permission to build a store,
cost them £9M to decontaminate. Part of it was so bad it has
to run a pumped reed bed for 25 years before contamination is
likely to reduce to allowable levels. Aparently someone lost
their job for not getting it tested before purchase. It had
belonged to Murphy's Chemicals in the past.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may find relevant guidance in Parts C and D:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314110382.html

I would emphasise that the ground will not be disturbed - possibly it
will need capping in some way, and that restrictive covenants will
prevent you neighbours disturbing the land in future unless they
decontaminate it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 14, 5:31*pm, wrote:
[...]

T- Hide quoted text -

building a garage and a greenhouse, a paved area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:47:20 -0800 (PST), Dave Fawthrop wrote:
The whole area was used for industrial purposed for centuries,

What was the industry? Lead smelting (lead and other heavy metals), hat
making (mercury), coal gas works (arsenic and whole chemical cupboard of
other stuff...).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I have at long last bought the old access road at the back of my
house, and have obtained planning permission to make it my garden and
parts of it into the gardens of my nieghbours (after much discussion
with them prior to selling them the appropriate parts).

Unfortunately the Planning Authority is asking fir Contaninated land
reports Parts 1 and 2 prior to developmnet.

Where do I get these reports?

May I write them myself? Writing official reports is meat and drink
to me :-)

The road consists of many layers of shale/hard core etc. which have
built up over the years.

The whole area was used for industrial purposed for centuries, so the
land is probably contaminated, but the only real problem I can see is
a thin layer of tarmac scalpings, on top of the road.

I'm not sure what Parts 1 &2 reports (referred to differently by different
organisations) are but I suspect that what is meant is a progressive
approach to investigating the condition of the site.

The first step is to determine whether the particular location is likely to
have had a former contaminative use and what that use(s) might imply.

This is commonly referred to as a Desk Top Study (DTS). A literature search
is made of the historical information for the area from various archives.
One of the most useful is a series of OS maps through the years. A report
can then be produced indicating the likelihood of any contamination and/or
stability issues regarding the site. Such a study is likely to cost circa £1
to £2k from an environmental consultant.

If that report confirms that there are risks for the intended use(s) of the
land then a Site Investigation is the next step. In the case of The Grand
Design site in hand, as I understood it, it was this second step that cost
£5k. As an aside, due to the way the dialogue happened on the programme, I
was able to guess before the stated price that it would have been £5k.

This second study involves going out to the site, taking various samples and
having them analysed and reporting back. If stability is an issue costs
could be significantly higher.

Not wishing to frighten you but to inform. Since your intended use ( and
assuming the same for your neighbours) is purely as gardens then the likely
ballpark cost, assuming that contaminants are anticipated as a result of the
DTS, then total costs would be in the ballpark of £6.5k.

Whilst you may be adroit at producing reports, as you are the owner the LA
are far more likely to accept a report from ane nvironmental consultant that
does not have your bias! It could also save you money, time and hassle in
that the ECon will know what is required and may also have prior knowledge
of the area and certainly what the LA is likely to expect.

HTH

PS I emphasise that the figures are necessarily Ballpark not knowing what
the former uses are likely to have been and thus what contaminants might be
expected and also not knowing what your neighbours might wish to do with the
land they will be gaining. Extending a house over a landfill site poses
different risks from growing vegetables in the garden or exposing children
to contaminated soils.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I have at long last bought the old access road at the back of my
house, and have obtained planning permission to make it my garden and
parts of it into the gardens of my nieghbours (after much discussion
with them prior to selling them the appropriate parts).

Unfortunately the Planning Authority is asking fir Contaninated land
reports Parts 1 and 2 prior to developmnet.

Where do I get these reports?

May I write them myself? Writing official reports is meat and drink
to me :-)

The road consists of many layers of shale/hard core etc. which have
built up over the years.

The whole area was used for industrial purposed for centuries, so the
land is probably contaminated, but the only real problem I can see is
a thin layer of tarmac scalpings, on top of the road.

Why don't you start a company called Fawthrop Environmental Investigations &
write the reports yourself? Local council numptys won't know any different.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
[...]

You answered the wrong question. They'd see through that one! "Trotter's
Independent Consultants" - then possibly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb, 21:38, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Feb 14, 5:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

Seems like none of the above require planning permission or building
control. Why are the council involved? I don't understand how the
council could become aware of contaminated land, or how it might
become an issue in your case. From what you have said, you bought
contaminated land adjacent to your property. Why has contamination
suddenly become an issue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems like none of the above require planning permission or building
control. Why are the council involved?

Application for change of use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 14, 11:39*pm, wrote:
On 14 Feb, 21:38, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

What development are you doing?

building a garage and a greenhouse, a paved area.

Seems like none of the above require planning permission or building
control. Why are the council involved? I don't understand how the
council could become aware ofcontaminatedland, or how it might
become an issue in your case. From what you have said, you boughtcontaminatedlandadjacent to your property. Why has contamination
suddenly become an issue?

Because I am selling some of the land on to neighbours I got Change of
Use Planning permission.
Everybody knows about the Industrial history of the area so we are on
some list of contaminated land.

I think I am going to get away with it because the land was an access
road which would only take
one horse and cart or one lorry so there was no industrial use, not
even storage.

Dave F
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 14, 4:47*pm, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I have at long last bought the old access road at the back of my
house, and have obtained planning permission to make it my garden and
parts of it into the gardens of my nieghbours (after much discussion
with them prior to selling them the appropriate parts).

I will write the reports myself, as I can show that the land has *not*
been used for insustrial purposes.

The remaining problem is the two thin layers of tarmac scalpings,
Does anyone know if these constitute contamination?

Dave F