Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default greenhouse base

just been given a greenhouse, 8 X 12.

other one we have I dug a small footing 4" or so and laid one course
of blocks down and secured to those,

question is, is there an easier effective way of making a base?
dont really want timber as it will rot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
just been given a greenhouse, 8 X 12.

other one we have I dug a small footing 4" or so and laid one course
of blocks down and secured to those,

question is, is there an easier effective way of making a base?
dont really want timber as it will rot.

I am going to lay a line of paving slabs round the outside, and one down
teh middle. And plonk it on that.

That way I can cut the grass without flinging too many stones in the
greenhouse.

A bit of block might go on top if SHE wants it raised up a tad..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
just been given a greenhouse, 8 X 12.

other one we have I dug a small footing 4" or so and laid one course
of blocks down and secured to those,

question is, is there an easier effective way of making a base?
dont really want timber as it will rot.

SWMBO bought a greenhouse, and what I did was to level out an area of
ground, and lay regular slabs. The greenhouse was then screwed down
directly onto that using a fairly large number of longish screws into plugs.
I did use some wood, but on the inside of the greenhouse, as load-spreaders
along the length of the aluminium extrusion rather than having the
screw-heads popping through the pre-drilled holes in the base when the wind
got up.

It's survived several very windy winters in Aberdeen.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
just been given a greenhouse, 8 X 12.

other one we have I dug a small footing 4" or so and laid one course
of blocks down and secured to those,

question is, is there an easier effective way of making a base?
dont really want timber as it will rot.

I am going to lay a line of paving slabs round the outside, and one down
teh middle. And plonk it on that.

That way I can cut the grass without flinging too many stones in the
greenhouse.

A bit of block might go on top if SHE wants it raised up a tad..

Or, as TMH suggested recently, use concrete posts. It means you probably
have to cut them to size but it's another option
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

question is, is there an easier effective way of making a base?

Recently put in a greenhouse for youngest son. Cleared some ground of
grass etc laid slabs and screwed the G/house to that with little
aluminium angles cut from supplied ally angle that is meant to be the
legs when laying straight onto soil (I wouldn't reccomend that). G/house
was installed slightly above the slabs and the gap filled with a sand
and cement mix to keep insect infestation to a minimum

Greenhouse soup[_2_] UK diy 12 October 25th 07 09:00 AM
Wood preservative Greenhouse Base mike UK diy 1 February 18th 07 05:44 PM
bottom of greenhouse ron UK diy 6 May 22nd 06 11:17 AM
Base For Greenhouse To Sit On Alec UK diy 4 April 9th 06 05:27 PM