Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen door won't close

I have fitted my kitchen

Due to having to encase a boiler I have used a full length larder unit and
fitted top/bottom doors together so that they open/close together

Problem is that it/they don't fully close - there seems to be some strain on
some hinges - there are four hinges in total and i think i will need to
adjust all these to work together - haven't got a clue how to adjust the
door so it closes

Any clues?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most kitchen cupboard type hinges are adjustable in 3 directions. I
assume you have these type?
I'd start by removing the middle two, then adjust the top and bottom
ones till the door is lined up and working freely. Then add one extra
and adjust that one till the door operates. then repeat with the fourth
one. If at any stage you run out of adjustment range make small
adjustments to the preceding hinges.

If by fitting the two doors together you have got them out of line then
it might not be possible to get the door working smoothly.

All four pivot points must lie on a common line.

Bob
I have fitted my kitchen

Due to having to encase a boiler I have used a full length larder unit
and fitted top/bottom doors together so that they open/close together

Problem is that it/they don't fully close - there seems to be some
strain on some hinges - there are four hinges in total and i think i
will need to adjust all these to work together - haven't got a clue how
to adjust the door so it closes

Any clues?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes
Most kitchen cupboard type hinges are adjustable in 3 directions. I
assume you have these type?
I'd start by removing the middle two, then adjust the top and bottom
ones till the door is lined up and working freely. Then add one extra
and adjust that one till the door operates. then repeat with the fourth
one. If at any stage you run out of adjustment range make small
adjustments to the preceding hinges.

If by fitting the two doors together you have got them out of line then
it might not be possible to get the door working smoothly.

All four pivot points must lie on a common line.

applause

That's on for the wiki faq.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JethroUK wrote:
I have fitted my kitchen

Due to having to encase a boiler I have used a full length larder
unit and fitted top/bottom doors together so that they open/close
together
Problem is that it/they don't fully close - there seems to be some
strain on some hinges - there are four hinges in total and i think i
will need to adjust all these to work together - haven't got a clue
how to adjust the door so it closes

Any clues?

I was going to reply, but Bob has said it all - and said it well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
JethroUK wrote:
I have fitted my kitchen

Due to having to encase a boiler I have used a full length larder
unit and fitted top/bottom doors together so that they open/close
together

In my experience when the door doesn't close properly it is because the door
is to close to the carcase along the hinge edge, try loosening the single
screw at the back of the hinge and pulling the door forward a couple of mm.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JethroUK wrote:
I have fitted my kitchen

Due to having to encase a boiler I have used a full length larder
unit and fitted top/bottom doors together so that they open/close
together

In my experience when the door doesn't close properly it is because the door
is to close to the carcase along the hinge edge, try loosening the single
screw at the back of the hinge and pulling the door forward a couple of mm.

Peter

I'd loosen all 4 of those and see if the door(s) sit properly. If not,
joining them may have caused the problem.
I hope the OP's boiler case can still be removed. Last one I saw boxed
into a larder unit couldn't be without removing the top of the unit (not
easy given the KD fittings).