Old February 5th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gravel around house

Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a
particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

Old February 5th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a
particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

So the rain will soak up most of its downpour

Old February 5th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-05, Jon wrote:

Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Drain

Thanks guys. Nice simple explaination.
Old February 5th 08, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 5, 1:02*pm, "George" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a
particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

So the rain will soak up most of its downpour

Can we have that again, in English, please.

MBQ
Old February 5th 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a
particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

If you had soil against the house wall the rain would splash it up the wall
and it would look unsightly.
Shingle prevents this. I doubt very much it would be for drainage on a seven
year old house.

mark

Old February 5th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:02:01 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a
particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

So the rain will soak up most of its downpour

And at dead of night you might hear folk approaching your house.
Old February 5th 08, 02:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a
particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

So the rain will soak up most of its downpour

And at dead of night you might hear folk approaching your house.- Hide quoted text -

Apparently burglars don't like it because they cannot make a quick
silent getaway.

Robert

Old February 5th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2008 14:59, RobertL wrote:

Apparently burglars don't like it because they cannot make a quick
silent getaway.

Any burglar incapable of avoiding a 6" strip of gravel is going to spend
rather more time staring at 6'x6' walls than actually nicking stuff.
Old February 5th 08, 03:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 05/02/2008 14:59, RobertL wrote:

Apparently burglars don't like it because they cannot make a quick
silent getaway.

Any burglar incapable of avoiding a 6" strip of gravel is going to spend
rather more time staring at 6'x6' walls than actually nicking stuff.

Too true,they don't walk up the sides of the stairs for nothing. ;-)

Old February 5th 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the
edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was
a particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

If you had soil against the house wall the rain would splash it up
the wall and it would look unsightly.
Shingle prevents this. I doubt very much it would be for drainage on
a seven year old house.

mark

It's not, it's bone-idleness on behalf of the groundworkers who couldn't be
arsed cutting flags / block paving to fit around all the gulleys and pipes
etc.