Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cats and gravel

OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea gravel,
and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using it as its
personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dark Angel" wrote in message
OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea gravel,
and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using it as its
personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I used 20mm chippings specifically to prevent the well-known problem of
small gravel attracting cats to use it as a litter tray. Over the past 10
years, none of the 6 tonnes I put down has tempted any cats.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:32:13 +0100, "Dark Angel"
wrote:

OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea gravel,
and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using it as its
personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Putting a big dog there might help.
Or a water pistol.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dark Angel wrote:
OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea
gravel, and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using
it as its personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve
the problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Yep, I laid an area of 20mm gravel not long ago and cats crap all over
it. Don't think the turds gets buried in it as much as they would with
10mm, so you may regard that as a benefit. I suspect it depends on
what other substrates are available nearby for your local cat
population, as to whether they choose your gravel.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea gravel,
and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using it as its
personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Yes. You are up cat-crap creek.

Cats seem conditioned to litter trays and you have provided a nice big
one for them. It gets worse as the smell gets bedded into the stuff
and attracts more.

Only suggestion would be to liberally dose the stuff with pepper or
jeyes fluid. The smell from it will put them off for a while but it
may kill you off as well.

Cats are becoming a menace here and have surged from four to over
twenty this summer. It's becoming impossible to leave a door or window
open without one or another from calmly walking in. And I like them.
(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message...
Yep, I laid an area of 20mm gravel not long ago and cats crap all over
it.

Strange as I have 20mm gravel round the back, but they dont crap there.
Though that may be because my back yard is fairly enclosed, wheras the front
is open.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OB OB is offline

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:37:02 +0100, Andy Hall

SWMBO is now digging up a corner of the lawn and is going to persuade
matey to give that area a go!...

Have you told her that she's going to be disappointed, or are you going
to let her discover the hard way?

Unless this place is kept scrupulously clean and attractive, pussy
will find other places to be better and will go there instead.

If she puts best quality non-peat free compost and some expensive
plants in it , the cat is bound to use it. A roof to keep it dry would
be appreciated too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dark Angel wrote:
OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea
gravel, and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using
it as its personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I've got 20mm gravel on my front harden & drive and find the odd poo there,
but I'm not convinced its just cats - we have urban foxes. Are they likely
to crap the same as cats do?

I saw one t'other night & lobbed a handful of gravel at it, most of which
made contact - haven't seen it since.

20mm gravel is a better missile :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-06 20:37:55 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Dark Angel wrote:
OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea
gravel, and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using
it as its personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I've got 20mm gravel on my front harden & drive and find the odd poo there,
but I'm not convinced its just cats - we have urban foxes. Are they likely
to crap the same as cats do?

They do crap, yes.

As to the size of the Richards, it depends on the size of the animal.
I've seen small foxes and there are certainly large cats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OB wrote:

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:37:02 +0100, Andy Hall

SWMBO is now digging up a corner of the lawn and is going to
persuade matey to give that area a go!...

Have you told her that she's going to be disappointed, or are you
going to let her discover the hard way?

Unless this place is kept scrupulously clean and attractive, pussy
will find other places to be better and will go there instead.

If she puts best quality non-peat free compost and some expensive
plants in it , the cat is bound to use it. A roof to keep it dry would
be appreciated too.

Better to bury the cat in the hole and be done with it.
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea gravel,
and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using it as its
personal litter tray.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cat...sp#product1377

(I don't know the company BTW).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus
Dark Angel wrote:
OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea
gravel, and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using
it as its personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I've got 20mm gravel on my front harden & drive and find the odd poo there,
but I'm not convinced its just cats - we have urban foxes. Are they likely
to crap the same as cats do?

I saw one t'other night & lobbed a handful of gravel at it, most of which
made contact - haven't seen it since.

20mm gravel is a better missile :-)

We've now got Deer turning up in our front garden sometimes lovely
creatures and very timid, all due to the guided busway works across the
way from here disturbing them!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-07 09:46:19 +0100, tony sayer said:

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus
Dark Angel wrote:
OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea
gravel, and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using
it as its personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the
problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I've got 20mm gravel on my front harden & drive and find the odd poo there,
but I'm not convinced its just cats - we have urban foxes. Are they likely
to crap the same as cats do?

I saw one t'other night & lobbed a handful of gravel at it, most of which
made contact - haven't seen it since.

20mm gravel is a better missile :-)

We've now got Deer turning up in our front garden sometimes lovely
creatures and very timid, all due to the guided busway works across the
way from here disturbing them!....

What's a guided busway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:42:08 +0100, Mark wrote:

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cat...sp#product1377

(I don't know the company BTW).

Found an interesting link on that page
http://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html
I was sceptical about those spray deterrents but just look at the cat in
those videos!

I use the ultrasonic scarers and they do seem to work, but you need a few
of them to overlap coverage for a larger area. For the first few days the
cats didn't seem to care about the noise - one even sat near it! It took a
couple of weeks for them to get the message. Haven't found any presents on
the lawn since then so perhaps they like to do their business in peace and
quiet? The ones I bought were from ebay for about £16 each. Worth buying
the power adaptor too as they get through two PP3s every couple of months.

However the scarers do have the (un?)wanted side effect that all the kids
in the area can also hear them...

Martyn

--
Geosolar, Cambridge. Gas central heating installations.
High quality ATAG boilers www.geosolar.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-07 11:24:14 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
What's a guided busway?

It's an ordinary road bus which runs in a concrete channel. Sensors on
the bus detect the channel and do the steering. Because the bus is
controlled so precisely the busway can be narrower than an ordinary bus
lane.

Sort of like a tram with an internal combustion engine, that doesn't
need tramlines.

They've got one in Edinburgh, goes past the Screwfix depot.

Owain

So does it have a driver? If it does, I don't see what's gained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:34:27 GMT, Martyn Pollard
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:42:08 +0100, Mark wrote:

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cat...sp#product1377

(I don't know the company BTW).

Found an interesting link on that page
http://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html
I was sceptical about those spray deterrents but just look at the cat in
those videos!

I bet the kids love it too ;-)

I use the ultrasonic scarers and they do seem to work, but you need a few
of them to overlap coverage for a larger area. For the first few days the
cats didn't seem to care about the noise - one even sat near it! It took a
couple of weeks for them to get the message. Haven't found any presents on
the lawn since then so perhaps they like to do their business in peace and
quiet? The ones I bought were from ebay for about £16 each. Worth buying
the power adaptor too as they get through two PP3s every couple of months.

However the scarers do have the (un?)wanted side effect that all the kids
in the area can also hear them...

And dogs? I wonder if it scares away desriable wildlife too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
scribeth thus
On 2007-09-07 09:46:19 +0100, tony sayer said:

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus
Dark Angel wrote:
[...]

This wondrous contraption which is supposed to sort out a lot of public
transport ill's in the area.

Has the sobriquet "misguided bus"....

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-07 19:11:30 +0100, tony sayer said:

This wondrous contraption which is supposed to sort out a lot of public
transport ill's in the area.

Has the sobriquet "misguided bus"....

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

Now I see

Given that they have a railway line to play with, I would have thought
that an extra two lane road would have been more useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
scribeth thus
On 2007-09-07 19:11:30 +0100, tony sayer said:

This wondrous contraption which is supposed to sort out a lot of public
transport ill's in the area.

Has the sobriquet "misguided bus"....

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

Now I see

Given that they have a railway line to play with, I would have thought
that an extra two lane road would have been more useful.

Or keeping it as a railway but the council leader is determined to have
her misguided bus...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
scribeth thus
On 2007-09-07 19:11:30 +0100, tony sayer said:

This wondrous contraption which is supposed to sort out a lot of public
transport ill's in the area.

Has the sobriquet "misguided bus"....

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

Now I see

Given that they have a railway line to play with, I would have thought
that an extra two lane road would have been more useful.

Or keeping it as a railway but the council leader is determined to have
her misguided bus...

When was it last a railway, for passengers at least?

Bit surprising since Shona is blue. If she'd been orange, I could have
understood it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
scribeth thus

In article , Andy Hall
scribeth thus
On 2007-09-07 19:11:30 +0100, tony sayer said:

This wondrous contraption which is supposed to sort out a lot of public
transport ill's in the area.

Has the sobriquet "misguided bus"....

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

Now I see

Given that they have a railway line to play with, I would have thought
that an extra two lane road would have been more useful.

Or keeping it as a railway but the council leader is determined to have
her misguided bus...

When was it last a railway, for passengers at least?

Seem to remember it was around the early 80's but may be wrong on that..

Bit surprising since Shona is blue. If she'd been orange, I could have
understood it.

Yes...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
SWMBO is now digging up a corner of the lawn and is going to persuade
matey to give that area a go!...

Nah, Train the cats to go somewhere else....

http://www.litterkwitter.com.au/en/what_is.php#whatis

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-09 17:50:42 +0100, Adrian C said:

tony sayer wrote:
SWMBO is now digging up a corner of the lawn and is going to persuade
matey to give that area a go!...

Nah, Train the cats to go somewhere else....

http://www.litterkwitter.com.au/en/what_is.php#whatis

So how would this deal with cats that like to drink from the toilet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
Adrian C
http://www.litterkwitter.com.au/en/what_is.php#whatis

So how would this deal with cats that like to drink from the toilet?

Get another cat, train that cat to use the loo as per link. The other
cats if they have any sense will maybe refrain from drinking from the
same loo?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-09 19:20:54 +0100, Adrian C said:

Andy Hall wrote:
Adrian C
http://www.litterkwitter.com.au/en/what_is.php#whatis

So how would this deal with cats that like to drink from the toilet?

Get another cat, train that cat to use the loo as per link. The other
cats if they have any sense will maybe refrain from drinking from the
same loo?

You would think so, wouldn't you. Some pedigree cats seem to have a
different perspective. DAMHIK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
What's a guided busway?

It's an ordinary road bus which runs in a concrete channel. Sensors on the
bus detect the channel and do the steering. Because the bus is controlled
so precisely the busway can be narrower than an ordinary bus lane.

Sort of like a tram with an internal combustion engine, that doesn't need
tramlines.

They've got one in Edinburgh, goes past the Screwfix depot.

They tried one here a few years ago.. it was scrapped because its
unreliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Geoff Beale, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
Let's bury you instead

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...el-420601-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/10/2018 18:44, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
replying to Geoff Beale, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
Let's bury you instead

What made you dig that old post up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who knows, maybe it was an irrepressible urge to be silly?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
news
On 10/10/2018 18:44, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
replying to Geoff Beale, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
Let's bury you instead

What made you dig that old post up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 18:50, GB wrote:
On 10/10/2018 18:44, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
replying to Geoff Beale, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
Let's bury you instead

What made you dig that old post up?

He needed some thinking time to really hone that whip smart comeback...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/10/2018 18:50, GB wrote:
On 10/10/2018 18:44, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
replying to Geoff Beale, IKILLCATHATERS wrote:
Let's bury you instead

What made you dig that old post up?

Well it's a thick as **** HomeOwnersHub poster.

They make my apprentices look smart, and that takes some doing.

--
Adam

LET AIR IN KEEP CATS OUT svmsbb UK diy 6 March 4th 07 02:19 PM
Why is a cats head call a cats head? TheAndroid Metalworking 11 January 17th 06 10:42 AM
On the subject of cats... Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 2 September 19th 04 04:59 AM
OT-Cats Gunner Metalworking 29 December 29th 03 07:04 PM
OT? Help with detering cats Adam UK diy 24 July 28th 03 03:16 PM