Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sliding doors for wardrobes

I would like to create two new wardrobes built into alcoves, using two sets
of made-to-measure sliding doors. There is a local firm who make and fit,
and their stuff is good - the sliding gear is German and seems very good
quality.

However, the prices are a bit exhorbitant (~£1200 per door pair without any
interiors) and I fear this has stimulated the challenge juices. I wonder
whether sliding door mechanisms can be readily obtained at reasonable cost
and whether I could get a local cabinet maker to make some doors. [These
woud be a mainly wood design, with some glass and mirror panels.]

Has anyone been down this road themselves, or had the same thoughts and
given up, or knows of suppliers/tips/pitfalls etc.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I would like to create two new wardrobes built into alcoves, using two sets
of made-to-measure sliding doors. There is a local firm who make and fit,
and their stuff is good - the sliding gear is German and seems very good
quality.

However, the prices are a bit exhorbitant (~£1200 per door pair without any
interiors) and I fear this has stimulated the challenge juices. I wonder
whether sliding door mechanisms can be readily obtained at reasonable cost
and whether I could get a local cabinet maker to make some doors. [These
woud be a mainly wood design, with some glass and mirror panels.]

Have you looked at off-the-shelf stuff, notably Stanley doors. Stocked
by Focus, and there's (ISTR) an own-brand version at B&Q.

If the standard sizes aren't any good, you can (or at least could, a
couple of years ago) get bespoke ones made up at the factory at a
reasonable price - ISTR not massively more than off-the-shelf. Tel 0114
276 4099.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:

I would like to create two new wardrobes built into alcoves, using two sets
of made-to-measure sliding doors. There is a local firm who make and fit,
and their stuff is good - the sliding gear is German and seems very good
quality.

However, the prices are a bit exhorbitant (~£1200 per door pair without any
interiors) and I fear this has stimulated the challenge juices. I wonder
whether sliding door mechanisms can be readily obtained at reasonable cost
and whether I could get a local cabinet maker to make some doors. [These
woud be a mainly wood design, with some glass and mirror panels.]

Has anyone been down this road themselves, or had the same thoughts and
given up, or knows of suppliers/tips/pitfalls etc.

As it happens, I'm fitting a pair of sliding doors from B+Q tomorrow.
The size of opening was 6'8" wide , and from floor to ceiling 90".
The owner wanted bifold doors, but these are not ready made in such a
height, so she went for the sliding option.
The doors were £120 each, and look good from the outside - an etched
glass effect, with 5 6" square mirrors in a line in the centre. Not
what I'd choose, but she likes them.
They do a number of different designs, and some of them do look good.
They are not the sturdiest of items though - it seems they are an
aluminium frame, with either an aluminium laminate, or mdf on the
surface.
Wickes and Screwfix also do a very similar range, from viewing the
options, it looks like they are from the same maker.
Wickes are slightly cheaper than B+Q, but only keep a limited range in
store, so they have to be ordered. Screwfix were quite a lot more
expensive than B+Q for a very similar looking door - £158 compared to
£120.
I've read the instructions, and so long as the opening is roughly the
right size, they look a doddle to fit.
The running rails are sold separately, £26 upwards, depending on width.
HTH
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:

I would like to create two new wardrobes built into alcoves, using two sets
of made-to-measure sliding doors.

Has anyone been down this road themselves, or had the same thoughts and
given up, or knows of suppliers/tips/pitfalls etc.

One small problem using a pair of doors is that here is always
one bit of the wardrobe (behind the overlap) you cannot access
directly.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I would like to create two new wardrobes built into alcoves..... any
pitfalls? etc.

Many thanks in advance.

My dad, who was (normally) a pretty competent woodworker, did this many
years ago. He measured the alcove at 7'2" wide, divided in half to get 3'6"
for each door's width, added 2" for some overlap and cut the panels to fit.
It took him ages to work out why they didn't overlap as intended.

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sliding doors for you.

Hi Chris,

If you are able to come and collect from South Shropshire you can have
the following all for £50.

2 floor-to-ceiling mirrored-doors in white metal frames, both in perfect
condition
plus the two rails (top and bottom) on which they slide.

We have inherited a DIY wardrobe, basin, and shower at the end of a
bedroom and have decided to clear the lot out to create one large empty
space.

If interested, email me direct, in case I don't notice a reply from you
here.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 5, 12:21*pm, "Chris Skrimshire"
wrote:
[...]

Bifold doors??????
Seems an excessive price! Here in Canada built in 'closets' (i.e.
equivalent of wardrobes) are normal. We have nine bifold doors opening
to our six closets (4 bedroom plus louvered hall closets). Total
closet hanging space is about 25 feet. A daughter has a step in closet
about eight feet square off main bedroom where the approx six foot
wide bifold doors are ideal; very easy to get larger items such as
suitcases in and out with both doors open.
Bifold doors are an excellent and economical solution. Because
although they fold out into the room to some extent (12 to 15 inches)
they open to fully expose the contents with the doors when folded out
on each side, without having to reach past the overlapped doors.
Unless you opt for 'pocket doors' which require a wall width ether
side of the closet door opening at least as much as one door; for the
doors to slide into?
Haven't bought foldinging closet doors for some 35+ years since we
built this house; but even now I would estimate that two (plain) such
doors with their accompanying and included hardware would cost no more
than $400 Canadian. The wall would have to be bulit and the opening
framed and finished off with trim etc. Maybe another $ 300?
Doing the work yourself probably in region of $600 to $800 or roughly
300 to 400 quid, in place?
Just an idea.
BTW. Helping a friend install new bifold doors in a hall closet in a
used house they had bought recently at a real bargain. The door
opening was not square and the floor below not level! Looks like we
may have to retrim the door and try to adjust for the not level floor
by leaving a larger gap below doors!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I was aware of the B&Q range but they struck me as being a bit flimsy.
It would be interesting if they sell the rails, wheels and guides
separately, but I dare say they would be under-specced for heavier doors,
e.g. wood, but I may be wrong. It might be worth enquiring.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire
"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Chris Skrimshire wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , LSR
writes
Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I would like to create two new wardrobes built into alcoves..... any
pitfalls? etc.

Many thanks in advance.

My dad, who was (normally) a pretty competent woodworker, did this many
years ago. He measured the alcove at 7'2" wide, divided in half to get 3'6"
for each door's width, added 2" for some overlap and cut the panels to fit.
It took him ages to work out why they didn't overlap as intended.

The pitfalls of quaint imperial units eh ?

(having lit the fuse, retires to a safe distance)
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Eddy
writes
Hi Chris,

If you are able to come and collect from South Shropshire you can have
the following all for £50.

2 floor-to-ceiling mirrored-doors in white metal frames, both in perfect
condition
plus the two rails (top and bottom) on which they slide.

We have inherited a DIY wardrobe, basin, and shower at the end of a
bedroom and have decided to clear the lot out to create one large empty
space.

There is no such thing as a large empty space in S Shrops

Sheep spontaneously materialise to fill it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , LSR

My dad, who was (normally) a pretty competent woodworker, did this many
years ago. He measured the alcove at 7'2" wide, divided in half to get 3'6"
for each door's width, added 2" for some overlap and cut the panels to fit.
It took him ages to work out why they didn't overlap as intended.

The pitfalls of quaint imperial units eh ?

(having lit the fuse, retires to a safe distance)

OK I'll have to bite.

3'6" + 2" = 3'8"
3'8" x 2 = 7'4"

Seems OK to me.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
We have inherited a DIY wardrobe, basin, and shower at the end of a
bedroom and have decided to clear the lot out to create one large empty
space.

There is no such thing as a large empty space in S Shrops
Sheep spontaneously materialise to fill it

Every time I hear a bleat outside the back windows from now on, Geoff,
I'll be wondering if they've infiltrated into the big new guest-room!

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Chris Skrimshire wrote:

[...]

snip
Wickes and Screwfix also do a very similar range, from viewing the
options, it looks like they are from the same maker.

I've just fitted two rooms with Wickes sliding mirror doors - one has
four 3ft doors and the other has four at 3ft and one at 2ft6in. The are
indeed the same as Stanley doors, as sold by B&Q, Homebase, and the
rest - but much cheaper. For speed, I used the height reducing brackets
that Wickes sell, but I was underwhelmed by their quality and ease of
use. Apart from that, the doors seem fine for moderately gentle use,
though not, perhaps, for a children's room. The 3ft doors roll
extremely easily and smoothly, but the 2ft6in door has plain plastic
wheel bearings, not the ball bearings of the others, and this door feels
horrible by comparison. I'll have a chat to Stanley (or whatever
they're now called) tomorrow.

snip
I've read the instructions, and so long as the opening is roughly the
right size, they look a doddle to fit.

They need some careful measuring, but that's about it - unless you're
doing something clever above them, or your end walls are as far out of
vertical as mine were.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
geoff wrote:

In message , LSR

My dad, who was (normally) a pretty competent woodworker, did this many
years ago. He measured the alcove at 7'2" wide, divided in half to get 3'6"
for each door's width, added 2" for some overlap and cut the panels to fit.
It took him ages to work out why they didn't overlap as intended.

The pitfalls of quaint imperial units eh ?

(having lit the fuse, retires to a safe distance)

OK I'll have to bite.

3'6" + 2" = 3'8"
3'8" x 2 = 7'4"

Seems OK to me.

I think that the mental process was 72 / 2 = 36 add two for the overlap

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Chris J Dixon wrote:
geoff wrote:

In message , LSR

My dad, who was (normally) a pretty competent woodworker, did this many
years ago. He measured the alcove at 7'2" wide, divided in half to get 3'6"
for each door's width, added 2" for some overlap and cut the panels to fit.
It took him ages to work out why they didn't overlap as intended.

The pitfalls of quaint imperial units eh ?

(having lit the fuse, retires to a safe distance)

OK I'll have to bite.

3'6" + 2" = 3'8"
3'8" x 2 = 7'4"

Seems OK to me.

I think the clue is in dividing 7'2" in half and getting 3'6" rather
than 3'7". Clearly he expected a 2" overlap but he got only 1".

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:11:58 +0000, Chris Skrimshire wrote:

Yes, I was aware of the B&Q range but they struck me as being a bit
flimsy. It would be interesting if they sell the rails, wheels and guides
separately, but I dare say they would be under-specced for heavier doors,
e.g. wood, but I may be wrong. It might be worth enquiring.

Thanks.

===================================
Sliding door gear is widely available and weight isn't usually a problem
unless you intend using very heavy doors. This will carry up to 35kg:

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A332975...ding-Door-Gear

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Autolycus" wrote in message
snip discussion of sliding wardrobe doors
The 3ft doors roll extremely easily and smoothly, but the 2ft6in door
has plain plastic wheel bearings, not the ball bearings of the others,
and this door feels horrible by comparison. I'll have a chat to
Stanley (or whatever they're now called) tomorrow.

To complete the tale: Wickes (Stanley) doors now seem to be made (or at
least marketed) by Home Decor, of Sheffield. They were extremely
helpful, and sent me a couple of ball bearing wheel assemblies. These
took seconds to fit, and have transformed the feel of the door.

One more suggestion: the instructions tell you to fasten the bottom
track directly to the floor, but by mounting it on a length of 4x1 PAR,
fitting carpet up to it was greatly simplified. Given enough time and
patience, you could even plane or pack the timber to give a level top
surface - it's surprising how much an apparently level floor can dip in
the middle.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:
One more suggestion: the instructions tell you to fasten the bottom
track directly to the floor, but by mounting it on a length of 4x1 PAR,
fitting carpet up to it was greatly simplified. Given enough time and
patience, you could even plane or pack the timber to give a level top
surface - it's surprising how much an apparently level floor can dip in
the middle.

Absolutely - I really don't understand why the instructions IIRC
specifically advise *against* doing this; I've used a 4x1 plank every
time. The only thing I can think of is that it makes it 'easier' to fit
the bottom track directly over the carpet, ie, you don't need to
interfere with the carpeting at all. I've only ever fitted them when I
was going to be recarpeting anyway; plus it would be very awkward
recarpeting *after* having installed the track over an old carpet.

Patio Sliding Doors, Again diablo Home Repair 1 June 12th 07 08:22 AM
sliding doors Andy Burns UK diy 5 December 24th 06 05:52 PM
Sliding Cabinet Doors harley Woodworking 2 August 21st 06 03:31 AM
Sliding Doors Olly UK diy 6 April 21st 06 03:03 AM
Sliding Doors Justo Ruiz UK diy 2 August 7th 03 09:57 AM