Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Festool drill - well worth the money.

Today, I was working alongside a bloke who had a Festool drill / driver.
I have never seen them in the flesh before, and was rather sceptical of
their value, being as they are roughly 3 times the price of a 'normal'
drill from Bosch/Makita et al.

Anyway, my view has totally changed. They are truly excellent.
They come with 3 differing chucks,and a driver chuck. These chucks are
changed in less than 10 seconds, they are eccentric chuck, std. chuck,
angled chuck, and the driver head chuck.
The head ensures all drilling/driving is self centring.
In use they are very smooth, and apparently, the 12v version is as good
as other makes 18v drills.

The only downside is that I have to find £350 to buy one now.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Haven't tried the drills, but have tried the circular saws - and when
I next replace, I'd seriously consider one (along with a Maffel).

On the CS I liked the track system, the precision adjustments (and
consequently the beautiful cuts), the dust extraction, the detachable
power lead and the systainer (which is compatible with Metabo).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 4, 5:48*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
Today, I was working alongside a bloke who had a Festool drill / driver.
I have never seen them in the flesh before, and was rather sceptical of
their value, being as they are roughly 3 times the price of a 'normal'
drill from Bosch/Makita et al.

Anyway, my view has totally changed. They are truly excellent.
They come with 3 differing chucks,and a driver chuck. These chucks are
changed in less than 10 seconds, they are eccentric chuck, std. chuck,
angled chuck, and the driver head chuck.
The head ensures all drilling/driving is self centring.
In use they are very smooth, and apparently, the 12v version is as good
as other makes 18v drills.

The only downside is that I have to find £350 to buy one now.

"Our" carpenter (a friend who does carpentry) has just replaced most
of his tools with a Festool system. I can see why.

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My son recently purchased one of these and I have been using quite a lot
recently. It is very, very good. The offset chuck is almost worth the
extra money alone!

The one thing that I didn't like was that the torque setting was set a
little high for my liking. It would overdrive a short wood screw in mdf
on it's lowest torque setting. Festools "work around" to this was to
switch to the higher speed where the lowest torque setting was less - I
suppose that makes sense but a bit of a cop out.

My grotty old Makita does not have that problem. Seems to have a much
lower torque setting at the lower end.

Roy