Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Push Button Code Gate Locks

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery operated?
If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various
people to access without doling out loads of keys.

TIA

Phil

How about a card-swipe device as used on hotel doors?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 4, 3:31 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery operated?
If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various people
to access without doling out loads of keys.

TIA

Phil

What about a mechanical pushbutton lock:-

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A357940...al-Push-Button

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster says...
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery operated?
If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various people
to access without doling out loads of keys.

TIA

Phil

If I were a passing burglar I'd think such a property must
have lots worth nicking. So unless it is difficult for a
burglar to simply hop over the gate or fence I'd be a bit
dubious about such a lock.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that TheScullster formulated :
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery operated? If
so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various people
to access without doling out loads of keys.

None that I'm aware of which are battery operated. I have one on my
garage's 'people entrance', fitted after suffering lots of frustration
with keys going missing. If you have not come across them...

You set up a public code and a master code, both of which can be
subsequently changed if required. The idea is master code can be kept
secret and the public code given out to those who need access and
changed as and when necessary. Enter either code correctly and a
solenoid is powered up to release the catch on a Yale type lock. Code
can be 6 or eight digits long, depending upon your needs.

I have not checked, but from memory it can run on anything between 12
to 24v - so running on a 12v gell cell should be possible.

Perhaps a 12v gell cell + a solar panel to keep it charged might work
for you?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery
operated? If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various
people to access without doling out loads of keys.

K.I.S.S. Combination padlock. Just give them the combination.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery
operated? If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various
people to access without doling out loads of keys.

K.I.S.S. Combination padlock. Just give them the combination.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

From time to time, I amuse myself and others by demonstrating how woefully
hopeless most cheap combination locks are.

The manufacturing tolerances are so poor, that all you need to do is to pull
the thing gently in the 'open' direction. It won't open, but the load is
being taken on one digit-ring only. You can determine which by twiddling
them. 3 of the 4 will spin freely, and one has some resistance. Turn the
resisting one, till you feel it 'lock' as the open slot in the ring is
matched by the corresponding pin, and the lock will feel to open
fractionally. It's now sitting on one of the remaining 3. Again,
determine which one is resisting, and feel it 'click' too. Repeat till the
lock opens.

I can generally open most cheap combination locks is under 2 minutes!

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

says...
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery
operated? If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want various
people to access without doling out loads of keys.

K.I.S.S. Combination padlock. Just give them the combination.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

From time to time, I amuse myself and others by demonstrating how woefully
hopeless most cheap combination locks are.

The manufacturing tolerances are so poor, that all you need to do is to pull
the thing gently in the 'open' direction. It won't open, but the load is
being taken on one digit-ring only. You can determine which by twiddling
them. 3 of the 4 will spin freely, and one has some resistance. Turn the
resisting one, till you feel it 'lock' as the open slot in the ring is
matched by the corresponding pin, and the lock will feel to open
fractionally. It's now sitting on one of the remaining 3. Again,
determine which one is resisting, and feel it 'click' too. Repeat till the
lock opens.

I can generally open most cheap combination locks is under 2 minutes!

I met someone once who demonstrated that technique to me.
It was amazing how quick and easy it is to open those
locks. He could do them in less than a minute.

What the original poster hasn't said is who he intends to
keep out. The level of security and associated cost and
hassle factor for people getting in needs to match who he
intends to keep out and be in keeping with the rest of his
security.

If he just intends keeping out salesmen, nosey neighbours,
kids or Jehovah's witnesses and the like that is one thing.
If he intends to keep out burglars that is a different
matter. The lock would be worthless if they can just climb
over the gate or fence.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
as has already been posted a mechanical lock may be your best solution but
if you really need electrical locking you will have to get power to the
gate.
Most access systems are 12-24v powered and come in 2 parts.
1:- the reader
2:- the locking mechanism.
The reader can be a keypad,swipe card,fob or even a radio receiver whilst
the lock can be a heavy duty magnet,shoot bolt,mortise keep or Yale type
keep.
These are but the most common and hundreds of combinations are available.
Try a search of BPT , URMET , BSTL , VIDEX websites and browse their Access
Control pages for ideas prices etc.

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a push button gate lock that's battery
operated? If so any recommendations?
I'm just thinking out loud about a side gate that we may want
various people to access without doling out loads of keys.

K.I.S.S. Combination padlock. Just give them the combination.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

From time to time, I amuse myself and others by demonstrating how
woefully hopeless most cheap combination locks are.

The manufacturing tolerances are so poor, that all you need to do is
to pull the thing gently in the 'open' direction. It won't open,
but the load is being taken on one digit-ring only. You can
determine which by twiddling them. 3 of the 4 will spin freely, and
one has some resistance. Turn the resisting one, till you feel it
'lock' as the open slot in the ring is matched by the corresponding
pin, and the lock will feel to open fractionally. It's now sitting
on one of the remaining 3. Again, determine which one is resisting,
and feel it 'click' too. Repeat till the lock opens.

I can generally open most cheap combination locks is under 2 minutes!

Is that while they are in situ e.g. a hasp & staple or free to handle?

I'll have to try that, the one on my garage is a Master Lock & wasn't cheap.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Grohe dual flush -- which button to push? Brian L Johnson UK diy 28 February 21st 07 11:22 AM
Leviton Push Button Timers 5A 20A ?! Huh Alan Smithee Home Repair 7 September 15th 06 05:12 PM
High-tech locks open with the touch of a button Ablang Home Ownership 3 June 4th 05 01:51 PM
Smaller push button Rod Hewitt UK diy 3 December 1st 03 10:28 PM
Pneumatic push button cistern? Dave Farrell UK diy 14 October 7th 03 11:13 AM