Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flame/fire retardent silicone

Hello,

I've got a few gaps in the ceiling between the airing cupboard and
loft where the various wires and pipes enter. What's the best thing to
fill these gaps with? Do I need to use a fire / flame retardant
silicone or will any silicone or plaster do?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Hello,

I've got a few gaps in the ceiling between the airing cupboard and
loft where the various wires and pipes enter. What's the best thing to
fill these gaps with? Do I need to use a fire / flame retardant
silicone or will any silicone or plaster do?

Thanks.

Why flame retardent - you're not lighting fires in the airing cupboard, are
you? g

I would have thought that suitably sized bits of foam jammed in the gaps
would have been easier to apply than trying to get a sealant gun in the
right place.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

I've got a few gaps in the ceiling between the airing cupboard and
loft where the various wires and pipes enter. What's the best thing to
fill these gaps with? Do I need to use a fire / flame retardant
silicone or will any silicone or plaster do?

Thanks.

You probably don't need to fill the holes as such

All that I did was to cover the holes from above

I think that I just used a sheet of kitchen foil with slits to fit around
pipes and cables

Then dump the loft insulation on top

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:26:12 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

Why flame retardent - you're not lighting fires in the airing cupboard, are
you? g

I would have thought that suitably sized bits of foam jammed in the gaps
would have been easier to apply than trying to get a sealant gun in the
right place.

Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't sure whether there was a
requirement for fire retardency between floors. If not, when is it
used?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:26:31 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, Fred
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't sure whether there was a
requirement for fire retardency between floors. If not, when is it
used?

Well, there is, but within a storey dwelling it's usually satisfied by
making sure that there are no gaps between floors. Unless there is a
floor over your airing cupboard, there's no requirement to fire-stop
anything going into the roof space.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Hugo Nebula
writes
On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:26:31 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, Fred
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't sure whether there was a
requirement for fire retardency between floors. If not, when is it
used?

Well, there is, but within a storey dwelling it's usually satisfied by
making sure that there are no gaps between floors. Unless there is a
floor over your airing cupboard, there's no requirement to fire-stop
anything going into the roof space.

Does help keep the cluster flies in the loft, though:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I've got a few gaps in the ceiling between the airing cupboard and
loft where the various wires and pipes enter. What's the best thing to
fill these gaps with?

Spandy-foam?

(I don't know if it ought to be fire-retardant)

Pete