Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain lids

Where does one buy drain covers, of the 2'x18" sort that cover chambers
where drains meet? I have such a thing in my patio which has rusted
through and needs replacing. I'm not necessarily looking for absolute
top best price (it's not like I need twenty of the things) but I assume
I'd need to go a little further afield than the usual sheds.

Not done any drain stuff before; I assume that replacing a lid is as
simple as it sounds, but any pointers welcome.

Cheers,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
Where does one buy drain covers, of the 2'x18" sort that cover
chambers where drains meet? I have such a thing in my patio which has
rusted through and needs replacing. I'm not necessarily looking for
absolute top best price (it's not like I need twenty of the things)
but I assume I'd need to go a little further afield than the usual
sheds.
Not done any drain stuff before; I assume that replacing a lid is as
simple as it sounds, but any pointers welcome.

Cheers,

Pete

B&Q.
Seriously, the builders merchants are expensive for drains.

You may have to buy the lid and the surround that it sits in - a sort of
metal channel, but whether you want to replace this as well is up to you.

B&Q have them on their website

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where does one buy drain covers, of the 2'x18" sort that cover
chambers where drains meet? I have such a thing in my patio which has
rusted through and needs replacing. I'm not necessarily looking for
absolute top best price (it's not like I need twenty of the things)
but I assume I'd need to go a little further afield than the usual
sheds.
Not done any drain stuff before; I assume that replacing a lid is as
simple as it sounds, but any pointers welcome.

Cheers,

Pete

Scrapyards,,,some have been buying them in bulk of late (alledgedly). ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whereabouts are you? I've got one you can have for free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
Pete Verdon wrote:
Where does one buy drain covers, of the 2'x18" sort that cover
chambers where drains meet? I have such a thing in my patio which has
rusted through and needs replacing. I'm not necessarily looking for
absolute top best price (it's not like I need twenty of the things)
but I assume I'd need to go a little further afield than the usual
sheds.
Not done any drain stuff before; I assume that replacing a lid is as
simple as it sounds, but any pointers welcome.

IME, you won't find a lid which fits the frame.
I had to replace the frame too.

B&Q.
Seriously, the builders merchants are expensive for drains.

You may have to buy the lid and the surround that it sits in - a sort of
metal channel, but whether you want to replace this as well is up to you.

B&Q have them on their website

I found a local builders yard much cheaper than the DIY sheds,
and with a much larger range.

Initially I got a galvanized pressed steel one (the cover is
on a footpath, although this was was rated for cars). The
cover went ping-pong when you stood on it. Took it back and
got the lightest weight cast iron one (which would take a
7 or 10 ton vehicle IIRC) and only cost a few pounds more.
They had everything up to the giant 2-man lift jobs in stock.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

IME, you won't find a lid which fits the frame.
I had to replace the frame too.

That doesn't sound good. Dropping on a different lid is one thing,
cementing in a new frame is a much bigger job.

Initially I got a galvanized pressed steel one (the cover is
on a footpath, although this was was rated for cars). The
cover went ping-pong when you stood on it.

I think that is the kind that I have. The house is 1990s, which is why
I'm hoping it'll be a standard thing that's still manufactured (though
the plot is not new so the cover might just be older than the house).
Going "ping-pong" is not *too* much of an issue - at the moment I
suspect it's at risk of going "crunch-splash-****" :-)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:

Where does one buy drain covers,

B&Q.

OK. I didn't see any last time I was there, but that was before I stood
on the cover (while doing the job for which I *had* gone to B & Q) and
decided that it really needs replacing before the housewarming party I'm
planning. Someone going outside for a fag and ending up waist-deep in
the patio is not really the desired effect :-) (though probably
hilarious for everyone else).

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:54:07 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

OK. I didn't see any last time I was there, but that was before I stood
on the cover (while doing the job for which I *had* gone to B & Q) and
decided that it really needs replacing before the housewarming party I'm
planning. Someone going outside for a fag and ending up waist-deep in
the patio is not really the desired effect :-) (though probably
hilarious for everyone else).

Our covers are 3' by 2' slabs - could you not just lay a slab on top for the
party? You could always put some cones round it...

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geo wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:54:07 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

decided that it really needs replacing before the housewarming party I'm
planning. Someone going outside for a fag and ending up waist-deep in
the patio is not really the desired effect :-)

Our covers are 3' by 2' slabs - could you not just lay a slab on top for the
party? You could always put some cones round it...

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I have a stack of various boards that could
cover it pretty well. But this gives me something to aim at to actually
get it done.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Verdon
d writes
Phil L wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:

Where does one buy drain covers,

B&Q.

Someone going outside for a fag and ending up waist-deep in the patio
is not really the desired effect :-) (though probably hilarious for
everyone else).

Son had friends round for his 18th a few years ago. Early January, early
hours, snow on ground, polystyrene float on deep frozen pond to allow
for gas escape. One youth worse for wear with ETOH thought it would be
fun to hop across pond on 'stepping stone'. Fish not impressed.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

North Norfolk

Making batches of simple boxes and the ins & outs of the lids. Arch Woodturning 9 November 8th 07 04:26 PM
On finials and lids Kevin Woodturning 21 November 25th 06 04:22 PM
Are all cyclone lids made the same? Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 6 May 2nd 06 10:33 PM
Supporting heavy hinged lids. Schmuck Woodworking 3 April 12th 05 09:12 AM
fitting box lids Reyd Dorakeen Woodturning 1 March 14th 04 08:44 AM