Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH header tank leak

Hello,

As you know, I've been working on my CH this week, which has involved
draining and filling the CH.

When I went to check in the loft, I found a very slight drip coming
from the header tank around the overflow outlet.

The nut is a pig to reach because the tank is small, the ball cock is
in the way, and it's full of water! It seems finger tight to me. What
is the best thing to do?

Should I drain the tank, remove the ball cock and try and get a
spanner inside to tighten it further?

Should I be checking/replacing/adding a washer?

Should I use some plumber's mait/sealant around the outside?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fred
scribeth thus
Hello,

As you know, I've been working on my CH this week, which has involved
draining and filling the CH.

When I went to check in the loft, I found a very slight drip coming
from the header tank around the overflow outlet.

The nut is a pig to reach because the tank is small, the ball cock is
in the way, and it's full of water! It seems finger tight to me. What
is the best thing to do?

Should I drain the tank, remove the ball cock and try and get a
spanner inside to tighten it further?

Should I be checking/replacing/adding a washer?

Should I use some plumber's mait/sealant around the outside?

Thanks in advance.

Bodge it!, bend the ball cock arm down slightly so it doesn't fill more
than it ought!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 10:03:38 GMT someone who may be Fred
wrote this:-

As you know, I've been working on my CH this week, which has involved
draining and filling the CH.

When I went to check in the loft, I found a very slight drip coming
from the header tank around the overflow outlet.

Water should be nowhere near that level. If it is then when the
water expands some will run out of the pipe. The level of the water
should be much lower, to give room for expansion. Traditionally this
was done by bending the arm of the valve down.

The nut is a pig to reach because the tank is small, the ball cock is
in the way, and it's full of water! It seems finger tight to me.

It should be watertight and finger pressure should be enough to
compress the rubber washer so it is. I would check the rubber
washers are in the right place.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 09:12:38 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

Water should be nowhere near that level. If it is then when the
water expands some will run out of the pipe. The level of the water
should be much lower, to give room for expansion. Traditionally this
was done by bending the arm of the valve down.

Thanks. I shall have to adjust the valve.

CH header tank? Matthew UK diy 1 November 13th 06 01:30 PM
Only one header tank [email protected] UK diy 19 June 23rd 06 09:59 AM
CH Header Tank Edward W. Thompson UK diy 0 September 29th 05 08:59 AM
Header tank above cylinder pauliepie UK diy 9 March 3rd 05 01:08 PM
Header Tank FujiMan UK diy 1 December 10th 04 01:57 PM