Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler failure - sods law

Sods law - the CH boiler has just failed when its blowing a gale
outside, freezing and Friday teatime!

It's an Ideal Concorder WRS 255A - I know it's very old and
inefficient but it has been working without any problems for donkeys
years!

We noticed the rads were cold so assumed the pilot light had blown out
in the wind or somesuch. Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty. Would this be correct? Any simple tests I can do to
confirm? I'm guessing its a simple job to replace (assuming I can get
a new one at weekend) but any tips would be welcome.

TIA
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:

We noticed the rads were cold so assumed the pilot light had blown out
in the wind or somesuch. Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty. I'm guessing its a simple job to replace (assuming I can get
a new one at weekend) but any tips would be welcome.

Mine went earlier this year, I had to flush out the boiler, so turned it
all off, then it wouldnt relight.
Screwfix do a 'universal' fitting thermocouple, for around £5. It wasnt
a direct fit onto mine, but it fitted with a bit of jiggling.
Plumbers merchants also sell them, the plumbers I go to has a very
similar looking one to the screwfix kit.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 18:10, (A.Lee) wrote:
petek wrote:
We noticed the rads were cold so assumed the pilot light had blown out
in the wind or somesuch. Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty. I'm guessing its a simple job to replace (assuming I can get
a new one at weekend) but any tips would be welcome.

Mine went earlier this year, I had to flush out the boiler, so turned it
all off, then it wouldnt relight.
Screwfix do a 'universal' fitting thermocouple, for around £5. It wasnt
a direct fit onto mine, but it fitted with a bit of jiggling.
Plumbers merchants also sell them, the plumbers I go to has a very
similar looking one to the screwfix kit.
Alan.

Thanks Alan
I've just been down to B&Q and got a standard thermocouple for £5.98
so I'm hoping this will be OK if indeed it's the thermocouple that's
failed. Were your symptoms the same as mine? Don't want to take the
casing off unnecessarily.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Feb 1, 6:18*pm, petek wrote:
On 1 Feb, 18:10, (A.Lee) wrote:

petek wrote:
[...]

Pete- Hide quoted text -

Hi
Mine does this every 4 years, I change pilot injector and thermocouple
and its fixed.
(baxi solo 2 50 rs)
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:47:56 -0800, petek wrote:

Sods law - the CH boiler has just failed when its blowing a gale
outside, freezing and Friday teatime!

It's an Ideal Concorder WRS 255A - I know it's very old and inefficient
but it has been working without any problems for donkeys years!

We noticed the rads were cold so assumed the pilot light had blown out
in the wind or somesuch. Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob pressed.
Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple thats
faulty. Would this be correct? Any simple tests I can do to confirm? I'm
guessing its a simple job to replace (assuming I can get a new one at
weekend) but any tips would be welcome.

TIA
Pete

Should produce about 12-25mV when in the flame.
If you can (when it's reassembled) feel a slight stickiness in the button
when you are trying to release it but not enough to hold the flame on
then I'd say with just about 100% certainty that it's the thermocouple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message
Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty.

In order of most likely...

Thermocouple, solenoid winding, gas valve.

Either of the last two would involve replacing the gas valve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 18:32, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:
"petek" wrote in message

Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty.

In order of most likely...

Thermocouple, solenoid winding, gas valve.

Either of the last two would involve replacing the gas valve.

Bugger! I've fitted the new thermocouple, replaced the casing (which
was a fiddly job in itself) but it still won't stay lit when I release
the valve. Can't feel any stickiness as Ed suggested so it looks like
it must be the solenoid/gas valve, which is a job probably beyond my
skills to be on the safe side. So, it might be time to change to a
modern condensing boiler. Better check the bank balance tomorrow
morning as its probably going to take a dive!

Thanks for the help guys
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"petek" wrote in message

[...]

I wouldnt assume a new one would save any money. Yes theyre
more efficient, but dont last long and need repairs. Just spending
energy and money elsewhere.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message
Sods law - the CH boiler has just failed when its blowing a gale
outside, freezing and Friday teatime!

It's an Ideal Concorder WRS 255A - I know it's very old and
inefficient but it has been working without any problems for donkeys
years!

We noticed the rads were cold so assumed the pilot light had blown out
in the wind or somesuch. Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty. Would this be correct? Any simple tests I can do to
confirm? I'm guessing its a simple job to replace (assuming I can get
a new one at weekend) but any tips would be welcome.

TIA
Pete

Ours went on Christmas Eve. It wasn't the thermocouple.

Luckily Spouse was able to get a new PCB that morning.

Something always goes on Christmas Eve - once it was the food mixer, once
the cooker ... one day it will be me.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:

Sods law - the CH boiler has just failed when its blowing a gale
outside, freezing and Friday teatime!

It's an Ideal Concorder WRS 255A - I know it's very old and
inefficient but it has been working without any problems for donkeys
years!

We noticed the rads were cold so assumed the pilot light had blown out
in the wind or somesuch. Tried to relight it. The pilot flame lights,
but will not stay lit however long I keep the gas control knob
pressed. Therefore I assume its probably the pilot light thermocouple
thats faulty. Would this be correct? Any simple tests I can do to
confirm? I'm guessing its a simple job to replace (assuming I can get
a new one at weekend) but any tips would be welcome.

TIA
Pete

Make sure that the flame is actually on the thermocouple, and not being
diverted away from it by a bit of crud or somesuch.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You made that up. Quality condensing boilers "last". Look at an Atmos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"petek" wrote in message

[...]

You made that up. *Quality condensing boilers "last". *Look at an Atmos.- Hide quoted text -

Just to bring this post to a conclusion for the benefit of others with
a similar problem. Called a local Corgi man (Thomsons Local Tel
Directory) at 7pm on Fri evening. He came round at 9.00am Sat morning
and knowing I'd already changed the thermocouple decided it must be
the gas valve. Luckily found one in stock at local plumbers merchants
(Honeywell V4600), he went and got it and fitted it by 10.30am.
Problem solved and boiler working again, hopefully for another 20+
years. He didn't try to sell me a new boiler as he said the payback is
probably not worth it, a conclusion I had come to also. Cost me £150
for the valve and labour. Given the time scale, excellent service and
his honesty re not needing a new boiler I thought this was well worth
it. If anybody needs his contact details (South/Mid Lancashire) let me
know.

Pete

boiler failure Vass[_2_] UK diy 8 October 13th 07 10:34 AM
Wicks 40 (Horstman?) Boiler failure Vass UK diy 9 December 27th 06 06:25 PM
Ravenheat boiler - ignition failure Mike G UK diy 0 August 23rd 06 05:18 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler flame failure Nick Shep UK diy 5 July 6th 06 05:16 PM
HDD failure Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 13 September 1st 05 02:06 AM