Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita Chick

The chuck on my 14.4v Makita combi is driving me mad. Its the black plastic
covered one with a front ring that turns to lock it.

When in 'hammer' mode it constantly starts to come open.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

That should have been 'Chuck' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The chuck on my 14.4v Makita combi is driving me mad. Its the black plastic
covered one with a front ring that turns to lock it.

When in 'hammer' mode it constantly starts to come open.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement?

I think a keyed chuck is the only option. I changed the chuck on my
Bosch just before christmas for one of these:
http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=5175

It is undoubtedly a better chuck than the original, but it does
occasionally come loose - the bloke at the tool shop said to not bother
with a keyless chuck, as they all eventually start coming loose, but I
thought he was talking ********, but he wasnt.
Screwfix do chucks now, though a limited few, on the site above there
are lots of options, just make sure you know the thread size on your
drill.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

That should have been 'Chuck' :-)

Thought the former sounded more interesting... perhaps she is one of
those power tool models ;-)

Is this a two handed or a one handed chuck? (i.e. does the drill have an
auto spindle lock?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

The chucks cost more than the drill!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:51:00 +0000, (A.Lee) wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The chuck on my 14.4v Makita combi is driving me mad. Its the black plastic
covered one with a front ring that turns to lock it.

When in 'hammer' mode it constantly starts to come open.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement?

I think a keyed chuck is the only option. I changed the chuck on my
Bosch just before christmas for one of these:
http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=5175

It is undoubtedly a better chuck than the original, but it does
occasionally come loose - the bloke at the tool shop said to not bother
with a keyless chuck, as they all eventually start coming loose, but I
thought he was talking ********, but he wasnt.

I bought a new cordless with a hand chuck and the first job I had for
it was a stepped drill. Once I'd finished using it I couldn't get the
bit out (and I can normally undo any bottle / jar with my hands).

I took it back to the shop (decent high street tool shop not shed) and
offered them the task. The first bloke looked at me like 'noob' and
the started on it as if he was going to undo it easily, he couldn't.
They then passed it along the chain till it got to the gorilla and
even he gave up. It ended up in their vice with some Stilsons and me
walking away with a new key chuck fitted. ;-)

I think I still have one (cheapo) cordless with a hand chuck and I
think it always undoes when in hammer mode.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I think I still have one (cheapo) cordless with a hand chuck and I
think it always undoes when in hammer mode.

I have never found the two handed counter rotating ones that
satisfactory. The single handed Rohm ratchet action chuck on my combi
however is superb - grips like a limpet and never comes undone. I don't
think that the latest model Makitas however have been as good.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

That should have been 'Chuck' :-)

Thought the former sounded more interesting... perhaps she is one of
those power tool models ;-)

Is this a two handed or a one handed chuck? (i.e. does the drill have
an auto spindle lock?)

Two handed, no luxury spindle lock - we is hard men in Kent :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

That should have been 'Chuck' :-)

Thought the former sounded more interesting... perhaps she is one of
those power tool models ;-)

Is this a two handed or a one handed chuck? (i.e. does the drill have
an auto spindle lock?)

Two handed, no luxury spindle lock - we is hard men in Kent :-)

I haven't had a chuck problem for many years, and I don't used keyed
ones, but I make it a rule never to buy a drill with any plastic on the
chuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have never found the two handed counter rotating ones that
satisfactory. The single handed Rohm ratchet action chuck on my combi
however is superb - grips like a limpet and never comes undone. I don't
think that the latest model Makitas however have been as good.

Agreed.

Autolock chuck on my bosch blue drill good, autolock chucks on my
bosch blue combi and the swap-in chuck on my corded sds - both superb.

The latter two make a ratcheting sound as you tighten them - 3 or 4
clicks and they hold bits that never slip, but release as easily as
they lock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

I think a keyed chuck is the only option.

Interesting. Up to now I've used exclusively my old mains keyed-chuck
drill, but as I've been doing more jobs since buying my own house I'd
decided to back it up with a cheapish cordless. Often it's handy to have
two different bits on-stream at once (eg shank hole and pilot hole),
plus for simple tasks I guess it'd be quicker to just pick up the
cordless than to start reeling out extension leads etc.

Unfortunately all cheap cordless drills seem to have keyless chucks.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
The chuck on my 14.4v Makita combi is driving me mad. Its the black
plastic covered one with a front ring that turns to lock it.

When in 'hammer' mode it constantly starts to come open.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement?

Just got a box set of 3 "Special Offer" from Arco Makita 14.4. £150
1 normal drill driver
1 drill, driver and hammer
and 1 "Nut runner"

The but runner way Ebayed leaving enough cash for a better chuck.
If you can get one of the earlier Makita ones (Off the 9.6v series) then
they work well.

Dunno what they've done with the newer versions though. Mine undoes too!

Back to ARCO for a replacement I reckon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That should have been 'Chuck' :-)

Cheap Cheap

oops that should have been cheep cheep
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The chuck on my 14.4v Makita combi is driving me mad. Its the black
plastic covered one with a front ring that turns to lock it.

When in 'hammer' mode it constantly starts to come open.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement?

Popped into my mates hire shop this morning with the offending Makita..

TMH; "This chuck keeps undoing when on hammer".
HSM; "Yeah, they all do that".

10 mins & £25 later a new metal chuck which works a treat. Chalk & cheese.

Since the drill was a freebie I musn't grumble.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y