Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Roof

My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

Is there a better way to repair these.
I am planning on replacing these panels when (if) the better weather comes
but hopefully can just repair for the time being.

cheers

Kin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My son's garage had a roof leak and as it was asbestos and winter we did not
want to do anything at that time. We got a large sheet of polythene from B
& Q and after stretching it over the roof held it down with battens. That
gave us a dry garage until we did the permanent job.

"KinRsole" wrote in message
My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

Is there a better way to repair these.
I am planning on replacing these panels when (if) the better weather comes
but hopefully can just repair for the time being.

cheers

Kin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stewart presented the following explanation :

"KinRsole" wrote in message
My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

Is there a better way to repair these.
I am planning on replacing these panels when (if) the better weather comes
but hopefully can just repair for the time being.

cheers

Kin

That would work on the upper end of a sloping asbestos roof, but if it
were at the lower end he would need to cover it top to bottom.

Can I suggest...

Get some of that frame sealant in a tube and a gun. Give the area a
good clean down, but without disturbing the asbestos for obvious
reasons. Allow to dry out, then apply the sealant into the raw edges
and plenty on top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:38:56 GMT, "KinRsole"
wrote:

My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

I would use car body filler. To stop the crack you drill a largish
hole right at the end of the crack. That knackers it as it can't find
it's way any further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"KinRsole" wrote in message
My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

Is there a better way to repair these.
I am planning on replacing these panels when (if) the better weather comes
but hopefully can just repair for the time being.

cheers

Kin

My garage has a similar corrugated roof, but how do I tell if it's
asbestos or cement fibre board? The garage is in a block built around
the early 60's, with pre cast concrete/stone rendered sections for the
sides. I think Marley made them.

I've just scraped all the moss off mine and noticed a few cracks, so
will need to sort it out when the weather improves.

Thanks, David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

I would use car body filler. To stop the crack you drill a largish
hole right at the end of the crack. That knackers it as it can't find
it's way any further.

Drill end end of the crack to stop it spreading definitely. I would
then paint the area with liquid rubber ensuring that it goes well into
the crack. Of course this does not produce an attractive looking
roof !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My garage roof is made from that fibre board/cement board stuff (sorry I
don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)

A couple of the panels have now cracked.

Is there a way to repair these.

I did think of filling the crack with some sort of silicon or sealer both
from the outside and inside.What type of sealer should I use?

I would use car body filler. To stop the crack you drill a largish
hole right at the end of the crack. That knackers it as it can't find
it's way any further.

Drill end end of the crack to stop it spreading definitely. I would
then paint the area with liquid rubber ensuring that it goes well into
the crack. Of course this does not produce an attractive looking
roof !
Simon.

My parents' garage spent a number of years with a crack that had been
patched with car body underseal - the really thick stuff almost like tar.
Lasted easily until they were ready to re-roof it.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Steve Walker contains these words:

My parents' garage spent a number of years with a crack that had been
patched with car body underseal - the really thick stuff almost like tar.
Lasted easily until they were ready to re-roof it.

I've used that and various other bituminous products on several
occasions. With a bit of scrim pressed into it, it makes a very solid
repair. Some of the repairs I did that way almost 40 years ago are
still holding good -- does that count as "semi-permanent?" :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

My garage has a similar corrugated roof, but how do I tell if it's
asbestos or cement fibre board? The garage is in a block built around
the early 60's,

in the 60s the 2 were the same thing. Its only since the 80s that
asbestos fibre reinforced cement board has been replacd with
glass fibre reinforced cement board.

Car body filler sounds like the one to me.

NT

Garage roof repair F UK diy 21 July 18th 07 09:08 PM
Insulation of a garage roof Freckles Home Repair 4 January 27th 07 01:28 AM
garage roof Pat Home Repair 1 October 16th 06 07:08 PM
Insulating garage roof r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 2 December 22nd 04 09:51 AM
Repairing a garage roof... Gary Home Repair 1 February 14th 04 08:50 PM