Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Possibly OT - pigeon deterrent

My father-in-law lives in a 3rd floor apartment with a small balcony,
in a city suburb. Unfortunately the balcony suffers from the visits of
numerous pigeons which leave their droppings everywhere.

He has tried shiny tape along the balustrade and various arrangments
of coloured string tied from the top of the sliding windows to the
balustrade. All of which are not very good at deterring the pigeons,
and also unsightly in themselves.

Has anyone got any better ideas (other than buying him an air rifle,
which given the infinite number of birds would be impractical and
attract comments from the RSPB etc)?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:

My father-in-law lives in a 3rd floor apartment with a small balcony,
in a city suburb. Unfortunately the balcony suffers from the visits of
numerous pigeons which leave their droppings everywhere.

Has anyone got any better ideas (other than buying him an air rifle,
which given the infinite number of birds would be impractical and
attract comments from the RSPB etc)?

Those six inch long wires on blocks - a bit like an upturned brush head,
with fewer bristles.
http://www.birdspikesonline.co.uk/Bi...s/default.aspx

They worked great at a shopping centre where I used to service machines.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message
My father-in-law lives in a 3rd floor apartment with a small balcony,
in a city suburb. Unfortunately the balcony suffers from the visits of
numerous pigeons which leave their droppings everywhere.

He has tried shiny tape along the balustrade and various arrangments
of coloured string tied from the top of the sliding windows to the
balustrade. All of which are not very good at deterring the pigeons,
and also unsightly in themselves.

Has anyone got any better ideas (other than buying him an air rifle,
which given the infinite number of birds would be impractical and
attract comments from the RSPB etc)?

Pete

Chicken wire covering the balconies opening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message

Those six inch long wires on blocks - a bit like an upturned brush head,
with fewer bristles.
http://www.birdspikesonline.co.uk/Bi...s/default.aspx

Ah, _that's_ what they're for. Saw lots at KingsX while waiting for my
train, and did wonder a bit - I'd come to the conclusion they were for
vandals, but birds makes more sense.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message
My father-in-law lives in a 3rd floor apartment with a small balcony,
in a city suburb. Unfortunately the balcony suffers from the visits of
numerous pigeons which leave their droppings everywhere.

He has tried shiny tape along the balustrade and various arrangments
of coloured string tied from the top of the sliding windows to the
balustrade. All of which are not very good at deterring the pigeons,
and also unsightly in themselves.

Has anyone got any better ideas (other than buying him an air rifle,
which given the infinite number of birds would be impractical and
attract comments from the RSPB etc)?

Fine mesh net.
Not only does it stop the birds but you occasionally get a few stuck on
it........Pigeon Pie....

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip...
You can get hawk-shaped stick-on-the-window clingy things, which are
supposed to scare other birds away...

If you go this route, move them around and have a few different patterns to
swap occasionally. A neighbourhood tower block has fake owls on top -
worked for a week or so but now the pigeons perch on top of them! Pigeons
learn fast so changing the surroundings is required to keep them at bay.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message from petek contains these words:

--
AnneJ

At Carlisle railway station they had a plastic owl sitting in the beams,
seemed to work.
WM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:48:35 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"petek" wrote in message
My father-in-law lives in a 3rd floor apartment with a small balcony,
in a city suburb. Unfortunately the balcony suffers from the visits of
numerous pigeons which leave their droppings everywhere.

He has tried shiny tape along the balustrade and various arrangments
of coloured string tied from the top of the sliding windows to the
balustrade. All of which are not very good at deterring the pigeons,
and also unsightly in themselves.

Has anyone got any better ideas (other than buying him an air rifle,
which given the infinite number of birds would be impractical and
attract comments from the RSPB etc)?

Pete

Chicken wire covering the balconies opening.

Can confirm the stick-up wire things work. I fitted one above the
guttering at the corner of our house. No birds of any kind land there
now :-)

I have just noticed that all the lamp posts on the St Georges Bridge in
Doncater have these on top of them. I need one for my chimney.

Adam

Fox & Cat Deterrent Nodge UK diy 27 July 15th 06 12:49 PM
pigeon scarer tim \(back at home\) UK diy 65 April 24th 06 07:12 PM
Pigeon Control PDQ Home Repair 27 February 27th 06 02:05 AM
OT pigeon hate tony sayer UK diy 83 August 19th 05 09:01 AM