Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Printers Are Funny Things

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap
nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same
thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into
them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it
is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Kindest regards,

James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:27:13 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap
nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same thing
is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into them
to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it is going
to be an easy job, no screws.

Kindest regards,

James

==================================
It may be the damp weather that's affecting the paper.

Try 'riffling' the paper before each print job. If you're not aware of
this it means bending each end of the pile of paper to allow the sheets to
separate as they slip through your hands - like running the pages of a
book through your hand. Insert the paper into the printer guides and slide
the guides in far enough to *just* compress the pile of paper from side to
side - this is called 'cockling'.

If this shows an improvement consider keeping your paper in a warmer place
between prints.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap
nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same
thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into
them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it
is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Both printers have a reputation for paper jam problems, IIRC. Try
Googling for more history.

In general, following the guidance given by the printer manufacturer
helps. Storage temperature and humidity, paper choice, loading, etc, do
matter.

Different makes/models of printers hace good and bad reputations in this
respect - something worth considering when choosing a printer.

--
Sue
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote:

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap
nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same
thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into
them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it
is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Kindest regards,

James

My old Canon BJC-7000 was bad for this as it got older. I often
cleaned the picking rollers using a sheet of card with double-sided
tape lined up with the rollers. You need card otherwise the paper
rolls round the roller

IMO all printers picking mechanisms eventually lose their 'picktion'
due to paper dust impregnation. I now look for mechanisms that I can
clean regularly - but they are few and far between as the manufacturers
want you to see printers as disposable and they like clip-fit plastic
construction as it keeps the skill and hence cost down.

R.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home, uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jan, 09:38, Cicero wrote:
[...]

I've seen somewhere that 'riffling' paper before loading it is not
recommended - introduces static in the sheets.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "the_constructor" contains these words:

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap
nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same
thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into
them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it
is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Paper feed mechanisms are notoriously unreliable and finicky and some
paper is particularly bad.

Store your paper under controlled temperature and humidity. NEVER let
the paper get above 80% relative humidity. If you do, you can look for
trouble.

Ensure it feeds into the printer the correct side up. The side to be
printed first is the side marked by an arrow on the packet or otherwise
next to the seam on the packet

Flick the pile of sheeds with your thumb to separate them

You do get roller cleaner, at a price. You can try alcohol on them. If
the printer will otherwise have to be thrown out, try the very finest of
emery paper.

The problem's getting worse with small-footprint printers. When you buy
a printer, buy one with a straight paper path, if you can find one. Or
at least with the initial part of the paper path straight.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer doesn't
like it!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:00:30 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer
doesn't like it!

Sounds like it would be that shiny loo paper you used to get.. that
weighed next to nothing, IIRC.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

---------------------------------

I've seen somewhere that 'riffling' paper before loading it is not
recommended - introduces static in the sheets.

Rob

===================================
It's been recommended practice ever since the days of ink and spirit
duplicators so if it produces harmful static we have to choose the lesser
of two evils. Maybe a job for 'Myth Busters'.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:20:17 +0000, Appin wrote:

You do get roller cleaner, at a price. You can try alcohol on them. If
the printer will otherwise have to be thrown out, try the very finest of
emery paper.

On a number of older printers where the feed rollers have gone hard
through age I've successfully used brake fluid on them to soften up the
surface layers. Wipe some on, leave for a bit, then wipe off. You may
have to dismantle it a bit to get to them. (Don't turn inkjets upside
down over a good carpet - DAMHIKT.)

It works for 6-12 months then needs another dose.

OTOH that was more for failure to pick up then feeding too many sheets at
once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PCPaul
writes
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:20:17 +0000, Appin wrote:

You do get roller cleaner, at a price. You can try alcohol on them. If
the printer will otherwise have to be thrown out, try the very finest of
emery paper.

On a number of older printers where the feed rollers have gone hard
through age I've successfully used brake fluid on them to soften up the
surface layers. Wipe some on, leave for a bit, then wipe off. You may
have to dismantle it a bit to get to them. (Don't turn inkjets upside
down over a good carpet - DAMHIKT.)

It works for 6-12 months then needs another dose.

But then you could use the correct thing for the job

platine cleaner - comes in spray dispensers for rejuvinating the rubber,
CPC sell it

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer doesn't
like it!

Isn't it made by Rizla ?

Party roach size

60 gsm is normally used in photocopiers IIRC

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 14 Jan, 09:38, Cicero wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:27:13 +0000, the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I've seen somewhere that 'riffling' paper before loading it is not
recommended - introduces static in the sheets.

Rob

Static could be a problem for laser printers that use electrostatic effects
to make the toner stick to the paper, but it shouldn't be a problem for
inkjet printers

I could be wring though

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article OG wrote:

Static could be a problem for laser printers that use electrostatic
effects to make the toner stick to the paper, but it shouldn't be *a
problem for inkjet printers

Unless it results in sheets sticking to each other.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:42:27 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , PCPaul

On a number of older printers where the feed rollers have gone hard
through age I've successfully used brake fluid on them to soften up the
surface layers.

But then you could use the correct thing for the job
platine cleaner - comes in spray dispensers for rejuvinating the rubber,
CPC sell it

I could - but it's both a lot more expensive and a lot further away than
the bottle of hygroscopped brake fluid in the garage...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PCPaul" wrote in message
.uk...
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:42:27 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , PCPaul

On a number of older printers where the feed rollers have gone hard
through age I've successfully used brake fluid on them to soften up the
surface layers.

But then you could use the correct thing for the job
platine cleaner - comes in spray dispensers for rejuvinating the rubber,
CPC sell it

I could - but it's both a lot more expensive and a lot further away than
the bottle of hygroscopped brake fluid in the garage...

Following advice, I have fanned the paper before putting it in both the
printers, but that didn't do the trick.

I can not find a way to get to the paper feed rollers on either machine so I
certainly wouldn't be heading for the can of brake fluid yet.

I think the best course for me is to wait until the ink in the inkjet and
toner in the LaserJet runs out and buy a couple of new Lexmark printer,
scanner copiers from the local Tesco at £29.99 each and offer what I have
now on Freecycle telling them of the faults. Let someone else try and fix
the problems if they wish.
James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:39:07 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

"PCPaul" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Sounds fine, except for the 'Lexmark' part.

In terms of consumable prices, I'd go for Canon all the time. Lexmark
needs a second mortgage for the ink.

And before you start thinking it's cheaper to get a Lexmark then just buy
another one when it runs out, the cartridges they come with are nowhere
near full (and it's the same for most other manufacturers as well).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PCPaul
writes
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:39:07 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

"PCPaul" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Canon Pixma IP2500 ?

£32 at my local computer shop

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI All

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:37:36 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message , PCPaul
writes
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:39:07 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

"PCPaul" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Agreed !

A friend of mine was given an iMac - and decided to purchase a Lexmark
'all-in-one' scanner, printer, teamaker g etc..

As he knows next to nothing about computers, I became the expert !
The printer drivers appeared to install, but didn't print.

Emailed Lexmark support - ended up chatting to somebody somewhere out
on the Indian subcontinent. To cut a long story short - wasted a
couple of weeks on & off, emailing, waiting for phone calls that never
came, getting passed around their internal telephone system.

Utter disaster - and a complete waste of time....
good reason not to buy Lexmark, IMHO

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
HI All

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:37:36 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message , PCPaul
writes
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:39:07 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

"PCPaul" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Good reason not to buy a Mac.

Unix printing has always been on the basis that the application never
talks to the printer directly. Most cheap printers pretty much rely on
the application talking via a tightly coupled driver directly to the
printer. Thats te first priblem.

The second one is PostScript. The original Apple Laserwriter had about 4
times as much processing power and RAM as the apple computers that drive
it. And cost more.

At some level the printer subsytems has to either hope that the printer
understands Postcript, or do the conversion. The paucity and quality
lack of CUPS drivers for many printers to do that, means its a bit hit
and miss as to whether half of the cheap stuff out there will ever work
with a Mac.

When buying printers for a Mac, expect to spend twice as much, and if
possible get one with native postscript and a built in network
connection. That at least means its capable of talking postscript
without a particularly direct connection to the host machine.

Macs are wonderful at typesetting, IF you spend the money to get a top
quality printer. If you don't. they are utter crap, and since typsetting
is the only thing a mac does well, apart from looking cute, unless you
are in the graphics business, or have no needs beyond word
processing/spreadsheeting web and email, and of course medai ****e like
phots and itunes, don't buy a mac.

This MAC here, was my wife spare machine, sio I thought 'lesy see what
Macs can do'

It turned out to be 'not much'

I bought loads of RAM - twice as much as the PC, and a new hard disk to
put OS-X on. Ok ebay was cheap enough.

My plotter and scanner were simply not useable.

The printer got a postcript upgraded..fortunately that was cheap on
ebay. It still occasionally loses its mind and starts printing out pages
of raw postcript.

I couldn't find a CAD program worth a damn that would match Corel Draw
for what I wanted. After weeks of very heavy cinfiguration, I know more
about Mac fionts and OS-X than I ever wanted to learn. To no avaiul.

It runs mail, browser, ms office, and thats it. It IS a bit nicer to
pull camera stuff off, due to te fact that the keyboard has a USB plig
in it.

Its slower than an equivalent PC, even after turning off most of the
ditzy graphics and detuneing the graphics down to 16 bit rather than 24
bit..uses twice as much ram, and a replacement keyboard was twice as much.

I DO like the onscreen appearance, and the fact that it doesn't throw
flashy carp at you irrespective, like XP, and teh fact it crashes a bit
less, but crash it does. I Hta eteh fact that you need to click once typ
bring a window intop ficus, and avgain to actually use the window
function. I hate the fact that you cant resize windows except in the
bottom corner, or that an application with several windows may hide the
one you want behind another one, and there is no way I have found to
change that order, other than minimizing the one on top. I hate the way
that bad typing cause s all sorts of strange windows to pop up, or the
fact that when typing there are two cursors..in some applications..one
where you last were typing, and the other one where you just clicked to
edit. I hate the fact that when you boot, if there are issues, you get
NO feedback whatsoever, just an apple with a rotating dial..
..
No Macs are designed for people who have a lot of money, and know
nothing about computers.

You only have to look in the NGs to do with macs..its never 'you do
this, go there. edit that'

Its 'take it back to the shop' 'reinstall'

All fur coat and no knickers.

I know have a PC dedicated to do all the things the Mac cannot do. Sure
it looks cheap, but it runs faster on less RAM, drives my peripherals
and runs the code I need.

If All you want is a desktop to run standard apps, use Linux.

If you want a fashion statement, and can afford it, buy a mac.

Adrian

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

Sounds like you have perhaps a problem with the separation roller or pad.

The separation roller runs the opposite way to the pickup roller, so extra
sheets are rolled out rather than into the printer. Sometimes the roller can
be simply a rubberised pad. Most likely the pad or roller has become dirty,
worn or simply clogged up with paper dust. The rollers/pads are a regular
service item and just a few coppers to buy. I have had some success with
just wiping these over with 'Sticky Stuff Remover'. The HP's plastic casings
are usually just clipped together, so its just a matter of finding and
releasing the clips to get access to the internals.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer
doesn't
like it!

Isn't it made by Rizla ?

Party roach size

60 gsm is normally used in photocopiers IIRC

--
geoff

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer
doesn't
like it!

Isn't it made by Rizla ?

Party roach size

60 gsm is normally used in photocopiers IIRC

-- geoff

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.

so is 60 gsm

5 minute or the full half hour ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from geoff contains these words:

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.

so is 60 gsm

Brands?

Where bought?

At what price?

Standard photocopier paper for many years has been 80gm/m^2. That's
where all the price competition is with all the major stationery
suppliers. Hard to see why anyone would want to buy something difficult
to find, difficult to feed and much more expensive when you can keep
your eyes open and get 80 gm/m^2 for as little as 99p/ream + VAt at
times. And well under £2/ream pretty well all the time.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

the_constructor wrote:

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer doesn't
like it!

I have recently bought some 50 gm paper, but I have not used it yet. I
bought it from Staples and it comes as a pad of 80 sheets, called layout
pad. If I get a problem with it on any of my 3 printers I'll post back.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Appin
writes
The message
from geoff contains these words:

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.

so is 60 gsm

Brands?

Where bought?

At what price?

I have several boxes in my stationery cupboard, but I got rid of both my
photocopiers a few years ago

brand ? - can't tell you

bought ? - are you joking?

price? - see above

they did come from a company which maintains photocopies

Just because you didn't buy it in Rymans doesn't mean that it's not used

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from geoff contains these words:

In message , Appin
writes
The message
from geoff contains these words:

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.

so is 60 gsm

Brands?

Where bought?

At what price?

I have several boxes in my stationery cupboard, but I got rid of both my
photocopiers a few years ago

brand ? - can't tell you

Hmm............

bought ? - are you joking?

No, it's the usual way of acquiring significant quantities of paper
which runs well in printers.

price? - see above

Someone pays for it at some point.

they did come from a company which maintains photocopies

Well, I do maintain photocopies -- by filing them under temperature- and
humidity-controlled conditions! And I've stripped down a few
photopiers and printers too, in my time.

Just because you didn't buy it in Rymans doesn't mean that it's not used

Rymans? Never been in a Rymans store in my life! Besides which,
there isn't one in hundreds of miles!

But I do buy and use a lot of paper. Rarely buy ordinary 80gm printing
paper in less than 50 ream batches. Sometimes buy coloured paper or A3
in 5 or 10 ream batches. Coloured 160gm card is a particularly
difficult item and printers are very sensitive as to which brands
they'll print and fuse well on. Tends to be bought in smaller
quantities, about 10 reams at a time, 3 each of 3 colours and 1 ream
white.

I'm sure I could find a pack of bank paper left over from the days when
my most advanced "printer" was a 1940s Imperial Model Z typewriter, but
that is rather ancient history, thankfully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Appin
writes
I have several boxes in my stationery cupboard, but I got rid of both my
photocopiers a few years ago

brand ? - can't tell you

Hmm............

bought ? - are you joking?

No, it's the usual way of acquiring significant quantities of paper
which runs well in printers.

price? - see above

Someone pays for it at some point.

prolly came out of your wages then

they did come from a company which maintains photocopies

Well, I do maintain photocopies -- by filing them under temperature- and
humidity-controlled conditions! And I've stripped down a few
photopiers and printers too, in my time.

Just because you didn't buy it in Rymans doesn't mean that it's not used

Rymans? Never been in a Rymans store in my life! Besides which,
there isn't one in hundreds of miles!

But I do buy and use a lot of paper. Rarely buy ordinary 80gm printing
paper in less than 50 ream batches. Sometimes buy coloured paper or A3
in 5 or 10 ream batches. Coloured 160gm card is a particularly
difficult item and printers are very sensitive as to which brands
they'll print and fuse well on. Tends to be bought in smaller
quantities, about 10 reams at a time, 3 each of 3 colours and 1 ream
white.

well, ra ra you

you should have more of a clue then

I'm sure I could find a pack of bank paper left over from the days when
my most advanced "printer" was a 1940s Imperial Model Z typewriter, but
that is rather ancient history, thankfully.

I'm sure you're not really a dickhead too ..

.... end of thread for me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from geoff contains these words:

Someone pays for it at some point.

prolly came out of your wages then

Wages? I'm a professional :-)

well, ra ra you

you should have more of a clue then

I don't think that I'm ignorant on that point. Being handling print
ordering and specifying paper since the 1960s.

I'm sure I could find a pack of bank paper left over from the days when
my most advanced "printer" was a 1940s Imperial Model Z typewriter, but
that is rather ancient history, thankfully.

I'm sure you're not really a dickhead too ..

.... end of thread for me

Lacking answers?

A quick check with Viking shows that out of the hundreds of different
copier papers they stock they seem to offer only one copier paper in A4
60gsm, from Xerox, at a price much higher than they're selling 80gsm.
60gsm is used largely for pads etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Appin
writes
Lacking answers?

A quick check with Viking shows that out of the hundreds of different
copier papers they stock they seem to offer only one copier paper in A4
60gsm, from Xerox, at a price much higher than they're selling 80gsm.
60gsm is used largely for pads etc.

Why do you persist in arguing the toss about something outside your
experience ?

Do companies who maintain photocopiers (not one man bands ) buy their
paper from Viking ?

I don't think so

If they are maintaining on a contract, they obviously go for the
cheapest that they are contracted to use

The fact that it's not commonly availably from Viking (WTF who's anyone
other than a one man band buys from Viking anyway ?) doesn't mean to say
that it's not used under contract

Just because you don't know, doesn't mean that it's not true

The fact that I have it, means that it is

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from geoff contains these words:

In message , Appin
writes
Lacking answers?

A quick check with Viking shows that out of the hundreds of different
copier papers they stock they seem to offer only one copier paper in A4
60gsm, from Xerox, at a price much higher than they're selling 80gsm.
60gsm is used largely for pads etc.

Why do you persist in arguing the toss about something outside your
experience ?

Paper outside my experience? Nonsense. I've probably used a wider
variety of paper than most people -- including sheets of hand-mate laid
paper costing over £50 per sheet in the 1960s, for that the information
is worth.

Do companies who maintain photocopiers (not one man bands ) buy their
paper from Viking ?

Who knows? I've no doubt you'll find some who do. However, I suspect
that you've misframed your question. Companies which maintain
photocpiers don't use vast quantities of paper in the course of
maintaining photocopiers. The use vast quantities of paper only if they
have the copiers out on a contract which includes the supply of paper as
well. And plenty of copiers are out on a basis which does not tie the
user to suuplies from the company which maintains the copier.

I don't think so

Whether you or I think so is irrelevant. Viking were used merely as a
well-known supplier, to illustrate the general preponderance of weights
other than 60gsm for use in photocopiers and printers.

If they are maintaining on a contract, they obviously go for the
cheapest that they are contracted to use

A rather confused sentence. Price is a significant part of the
equation. And a more significant part of the equation with regard to
photocpiers than with regard to printers, because a printer will be
producing material for other than mere archival purposes.
Communications going out of the office will, in the UK at least,
normally be printed on reasonable quality stock. And quite often the
same stock may be used for copies, Increasingly so, as the use of
digitised letterheading increases and the use of printed letterheading
declines. The poor brightness of many of the chepaper papers can
render them unsatisfactory for sending out of the office.

The fact that it's not commonly availably from Viking (WTF

I haven't a clue what your attempts at promiscuous sexual intercourse
have to do with the matter

who's anyone
other than a one man band buys from Viking anyway ?)

Aren't you getting a little repetitive ? And, to be pedantic,
"one-man" is a compound adjective and should be hyphenated!

doesn't mean to say
that it's not used under contract

But no-one has suggested it's not used under contract.

Just because you don't know, doesn't mean that it's not true

What's the "it" which you think someone is alleging is not true?

The fact that I have it, means that it is

No-one's suggested that you haven't got a supply of 60gsm paper or that
many other people haven't got a supply of 60gsm paper. 60gsm paper can
be purchased retail in this country for use in phtocopiers and in
printers. Indeed most computer printers specify 60gsm as the lower end
of the range of weights of paper which they are designed to handle.

No-one's arguing you don't have it.

The questionn is whether it's at all common in the UK for general-purpose use.

The bottom line is that most printers are designed to use, ideally,
75gsm paper. Why? Because the US is the largest target market for
most photopier and printer manufacturers and 75gsm approximates to
American 20 pound bond.

16 pound bond is the lightest weight generally sold in the US for
printing/copying purposes and is quite commonly used there. It
approximates to 60gsm.

The preferred weights most readily available in the US are 16, 20, 24
and 28 pounds bond, corresponding roughly to 60gsm, 75 gsm, 90gsm and
105gsm. With us you're much more likely to see 80gsm, 90gsm and 100gsm.

A preference for 60gsm paper seems to suggest an American influence on
purchasing decisions, rather than anything else.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Isn't it a shame, that despite the volume of suggestion/advice, the OP can't
be arsed to reply!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"the_constructor" wrote in message
Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together
with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15
pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap
nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same
thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into
them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it
is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Kindest regards,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Baal" contains these words:

Isn't it a shame, that despite the volume of suggestion/advice, the OP
can't
be arsed to reply!

Good point.

Paper storage is all-important. I treally is important to watch the
relative-humidity levels if you're going to avoid paper-feed problems.
I keep the RH in my paper storage area below 50% and the temperature
around 20C. Once paper gets even mildly damp it never recovers.

John
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Baal" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It is also a shame that despite all the postings about top posting, you have
to do it....!

Well what can I say. I have already stated that I can not get into the
printers because there are no screws to be seen. I am certainly not going to
be trying to split the cases whilst they are infact working to a point. I
certainly ain't going to be pouring brake fluid down the backs of them and I
am certainly not getting into the argument as to whether the paper I am
using or have used.
I will thank all for their contributions though.
There, Baal, does that satisfy you ?
James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "the_constructor" contains these words:

Well what can I say. I have already stated that I can not get into the
printers because there are no screws to be seen. I am certainly not
going to
be trying to split the cases whilst they are infact working to a point. I
certainly ain't going to be pouring brake fluid down the backs of them
and I
am certainly not getting into the argument as to whether the paper I am
using or have used.

I think that in any printer I've ever had -- and that's quite a few --
at least the pick-up roller/s is/are readily accessible and that's where
the problem occurs.

Funny Things We Dream [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 7th 08 10:29 PM
Printers Snap Whipcrack.............. Electronics Repair 18 March 14th 07 04:53 AM
Printers Dave Home Repair 5 November 11th 06 01:19 AM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 09:37 PM
Viewsonic PF790 does funny things Majesus Electronics Repair 1 January 15th 05 07:43 AM