Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prepare for painting with sugar soap or fine sandpaper?

I want to use white gloss to paint some white doors inside the house.

The doors were painted with white about 15 years old and are getting
discoloured.

I know preparation is important but in this case I have to compromise!

I'll use white undercoat and one topcoat of gloss. The undercoat is to
even out the surface and prevent discoloured patches showing through.

QUESTION: If I can use either sugar soap or fine sandpaper to prepare
the surface (plus filler for holes) then is it better to use fine
sandpaper than sugar soap?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ali Coaker wrote:
I want to use white gloss to paint some white doors inside the house.

The doors were painted with white about 15 years old and are getting
discoloured.

I know preparation is important but in this case I have to compromise!

I'll use white undercoat and one topcoat of gloss. The undercoat is to
even out the surface and prevent discoloured patches showing through.

QUESTION: If I can use either sugar soap or fine sandpaper to prepare
the surface (plus filler for holes) then is it better to use fine
sandpaper than sugar soap?

Even a five minute rub down with fine sandpaper makes a big difference.
Use as much undercoat as you need to hide the imperfections, then one
thin coat of gloss
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 01:34:03 GMT, Ali Coaker wrote:

I want to use white gloss to paint some white doors inside the house.

The doors were painted with white about 15 years old and are getting
discoloured.

I know preparation is important but in this case I have to compromise!

I'll use white undercoat and one topcoat of gloss. The undercoat is to
even out the surface and prevent discoloured patches showing through.

QUESTION: If I can use either sugar soap or fine sandpaper to prepare
the surface (plus filler for holes) then is it better to use fine
sandpaper than sugar soap?

I've always had good results using sugar soap and giving the paintwork
a good scrub with the rough side of one of those pan scouring sponges.
Then a final wipe over with white spirit. The only mistake I've made
is thinking I could get away without the undercoat, looks great when
done but starts yellowing in a matter of weeks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ali Coaker" wrote in message
I want to use white gloss to paint some white doors inside the house.

The doors were painted with white about 15 years old and are getting
discoloured.

QUESTION: If I can use either sugar soap or fine sandpaper to prepare
the surface (plus filler for holes) then is it better to use fine
sandpaper than sugar soap?

I was also thinking along these lines having a similar job to do.
So I've decided to try some of that wet 'n' dry sandpaper using a sanding
block
and a bucket of sugar soap solution in one go, seems to work OK
but I also wiped down with some old rag immediately, this seems to help get
rid
of the dirt. It takes a while though, I don;t think it'll be safe using an
electric
sander with sugar soap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 01:34, Ali Coaker wrote:

QUESTION: If I can use either sugar soap or fine sandpaper to prepare
the surface

That's a false dilemma. You use both, if you care.

If forced (especially anywhere near a kitchen), I'd go with the sugar
soap alone. Unless you've already washed down and degreased the paint,
sandpaper used alone will clog before it achieves much. I wouldn't
even use sandpaper - this is definitely a job for an open mesh
abrasive, such as wire wool or a plastic mesh Webrax/3M if it isn't
too bad.

Is very fine 220 grit sandpaper the right sandpaper to use to sand an alder wood table? Chris Tsao Home Repair 15 August 22nd 07 06:25 PM
Sugar Soap -- good enough? jal UK diy 34 August 4th 07 01:20 AM
sugar soap Leslie Eaton UK diy 6 March 20th 06 01:29 PM
Sugar soap or sandpaper for interior door ? JS UK diy 5 November 30th 05 03:06 PM
sugar soap [email protected] UK diy 5 August 1st 05 10:01 PM