Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Running two appliances off of a cooker switch.

A friend has his electric hob connected to his cooker switch and the
electric oven running off of a 13amp plug.
He wants to get rid of the electric oven and get a new one that
specifies that it must have a fixed power supply (presumably a cooker
switch).
If the cooker switch has the spare capacity, can we just use a heavy
duty junction box to run both appliances from the same cooker
switch?
Also, this being a kitchen, does the work have to be done by a
certified electician?

Thanks for any advice.

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:01:55 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
Rednadnerb wrote this:-

A friend has his electric hob connected to his cooker switch and the
electric oven running off of a 13amp plug.
He wants to get rid of the electric oven and get a new one that
specifies that it must have a fixed power supply (presumably a cooker
switch).
If the cooker switch has the spare capacity, can we just use a heavy
duty junction box to run both appliances from the same cooker
switch?

That depends on the oven. A search engine will pull up threads going
into this subject in great detail, outlining several methods of
doing the job depending on circumstances.

Someone may feel like typing that all out again, but it isn't me.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan, 20:02, Owain wrote:
Rednadnerb wrote:
A friend has his electric hob connected to his cooker switch and the
electric oven running off of a 13amp plug.
He wants to get rid of the electric oven and get a new one that
specifies that it must have a fixed power supply (presumably a cooker
switch).
If the cooker switch has the spare capacity, can we just use a heavy
duty junction box to run both appliances from the same cooker
switch?

Yes, provided that:
(a) the switch is within 2 metres of both appliances
(b) the circuit is adequately rated for both appliances (there is quite
a generous allowance for diversity on cookers)
(c) both appliances, and their cables, are adequately protected by the
circuit MCB

Also, this being a kitchen, does the work have to be done by a
certified electician?

Mmmm. It's not /quite/ like-for-like replacement is it? But who would know.

Owain

Thank you Owain.

Cooker switch positioning F UK diy 1 September 13th 06 09:44 PM
Cooker Switch in cupboard? Sparks UK diy 1 September 1st 05 01:14 AM
Cooker switch back box Dark Angel UK diy 6 July 25th 05 07:31 PM
Fused Switch for Kitchen Appliances Rob Convery UK diy 10 May 13th 05 03:51 PM