David

Default Bedroom or boxroom?

Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

Are the rules different for new builds as compared to existing
properties? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of creating a
third bedroom in a property I'm buying by putting up a stud partition
and although personally I'm happy that the room will be big enough, I
don't want to get it wrong, especially when it comes to resale.

Thanks
David
Grunff

David wrote:

Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.

But that would be taking the **** a bit.

--
Grunff

Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:05:50 UTC, Grunff wrote:

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.

But that would be taking the **** a bit.

Anyone see that story last week about some builder (Red...something?)
that had built a row of about 9 'town houses'. The stairs had a sharp
bend and it was impossible to get most furniture above the ground floor
(which was kitchen and dining room).

The builders said people could always use the upstairs living room as a
dining room and vice versa. But no TV or telephone points downstairs
anyway...

On being pressed, they said the homes were intended for 'modern young
people who liked minimalism and modular furniture'. Or, in other words,
flatpacks...

Old houses do have their advantages (but I draw the line at an earth
floor, Mary!).

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:05:50 GMT, Grunff wrote
David wrote:

Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to
define a bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent
parlance - they can't get away with describing something as a
bedroom when it's really a cupboard.

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.
But that would be taking the **** a bit.

Depends on the particular market, but yeah -- that'd be a serious ****-
take, to me!

[We have 5 bedrooms, the smallest of which is 8' x 6'6" (2.4mx2.0m) --
if I hung the door so it swung outward I could fit a 4' double bed in
there, easy.......an estate agent's "Double Bedroom?" ]

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:22:09 GMT, Bob Eager wrote
wrote:

Anyone see that story last week about some builder
(Red...something?) that had built a row of about 9 'town houses'.
The stairs had a sharp bend and it was impossible to get most
furniture above the ground floor (which was kitchen and dining
room).

The builders said people could always use the upstairs living room
as a dining room and vice versa. But no TV or telephone points
downstairs anyway...

On being pressed, they said the homes were intended for 'modern
young people who liked minimalism and modular furniture'. Or, in
other words, flatpacks...

Reminds me of a case a couple of years ago -- not sure where, but on
some Wimpret/Barpey sort of development -- where the "garage" was just
wide enough to fit a car in, but it was physically impossible to open
the car doors far enough to get out.

The accompanying news photo was of the owner crawling out through the
sun-roof......(who had the gall to complain about this....honestly:
some people).

The builder defended the sizing by saying that "these garages were
intended for use as storage space rather than for cars"

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

Mark S.

David wrote:

Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to
define a bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent
parlance - they can't get away with describing something as a
bedroom when it's really a cupboard.

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.
But that would be taking the **** a bit.

Depends on the particular market, but yeah -- that'd be a serious ****-
take, to me!

[We have 5 bedrooms, the smallest of which is 8' x 6'6" (2.4mx2.0m) --
if I hung the door so it swung outward I could fit a 4' double bed in
there, easy.......an estate agent's "Double Bedroom?" ]

Last weeks Property Ladder one of the estate agents who was looking
round took a measurement and said "just a bedroom" so I'd guess it was
to fit a single bed in it at a minimum?

Mark S.

Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:46:29 GMT, Mark S. wrote

David wrote:

[...]

Probably, for marketing; not sure.

For real life, a bed, side table and small wardrobe/bookcase affair
would be a minimum. (For me, anyway.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
dg

The housing act lays down some standards - ie the minimum bedroom size for
a child under 10 is 50sq feet (4.65m2), and for an adult it is 70 sq feet
(6.51m2), but this is just for LA housing or rental accomodation.

This is based on the Parker-Morris review in the 60's, but the private
sector did not tend to adopt the size guides.

There are few rules for descriptions, but a "bedroom" must be able to fit a
bed in it (not any other furniture as well) for it to be classed as suitable
for sleeping in.

For planning purposes, some LA's have adopted their own size standards for
situations that require planning approval. Yours would not.

dg

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

Are the rules different for new builds as compared to existing
properties? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of creating a
third bedroom in a property I'm buying by putting up a stud partition
and although personally I'm happy that the room will be big enough, I
don't want to get it wrong, especially when it comes to resale.

Thanks
David

Gnube

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:46:29 +0100, Mark S.
wrote:

took a measurement and said "just a bedroom" so I'd guess it was
to fit a single bed in it at a minimum?

Probably forgot to say "Only" in front of the "Just a bedroom" ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
The Natural Philosopher

David wrote:

Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

Are the rules different for new builds as compared to existing
properties? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of creating a
third bedroom in a property I'm buying by putting up a stud partition
and although personally I'm happy that the room will be big enough, I
don't want to get it wrong, especially when it comes to resale.

Thanks
David

I remember when I were a student wer had this drummer and his groupie
camping out in the cupboard under the stairs. Enough room for a double
matress ...

Lee Blaver

Bob Eager wrote:

Anyone see that story last week about some builder (Red...something?)
that had built a row of about 9 'town houses'. The stairs had a sharp
bend and it was impossible to get most furniture above the ground floor
(which was kitchen and dining room).

snip

On being pressed, they said the homes were intended for 'modern young
people who liked minimalism and modular furniture'. Or, in other words,
flatpacks...

Surely this sort of thing is a basic design rule?
Either it was deliberate or someone screwed up royally and doesn't want
to admit it ;-)

As an aside, a family down the road has just built an enclosed porch on
the front of their house, complete with an offset door. No chance of
getting an assembled wardrobe through that. No rear access to the
property either.
Clearly a lot of thought went into that idea... :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

David

Lee Blaver wrote in message ...
Bob Eager wrote:

Anyone see that story last week about some builder (Red...something?)
that had built a row of about 9 'town houses'. The stairs had a sharp
bend and it was impossible to get most furniture above the ground floor
(which was kitchen and dining room).

As an aside, a family down the road has just built an enclosed porch on
the front of their house, complete with an offset door. No chance of
getting an assembled wardrobe through that. No rear access to the
property either.
Clearly a lot of thought went into that idea... :-)

Thanks for all the bedroom replies folks - sounds like my plan will be
fine then.

When we were round at my parents the other day, conversation got round
to what would happen to my Dad's most prize possession, a baby grand
piano, once he'd shuffled off this mortal coil (he's a fit and healthy
late 70s). We were musing about how they'd ever got the thing into
the house in the first place (about 50 years ago) when we realised
that this had been prior to some extensive alterations my parents had
done to the house back in the 60s. So quite simply, the piano now
won't move out of their sitting room without either calling in Gnube
to give us the benefit of his newfound experience in piano
dismantling, or by removing a wall.

A good laugh was had by all (while I was mentally fast-forwarding a
few years into the future when I'll have the joy of having to sort it
out...)

David
Owain

"David" wrote
| When we were round at my parents the other day, conversation got round
| to what would happen to my Dad's most prize possession, a baby grand
| piano, ... So quite simply, the piano now
| won't move out of their sitting room without either calling in Gnube
| to give us the benefit of his newfound experience in piano
| dismantling,

Mmmm, big flat lid and all that panelling round the sides, and the legs.
That should build into a bit more than a plantpot stand.

| A good laugh was had by all (while I was mentally fast-forwarding a
| few years into the future when I'll have the joy of having to sort it
| out...)

Sell the house with it in. If one can do it with tortoises one can do it
with pianos.

http://www.property.scotsman.com/news.cfm?id=823692003

Owain

S Viemeister

Owain wrote:

Sell the house with it in. If one can do it with tortoises one can do it
with pianos.

Many years ago, I rented a flat which was unfurnished - except for a piano.
Owain

"S Viemeister" wrote
| Many years ago, I rented a flat which was unfurnished - except
| for a piano.

Hmmm. I wonder who hated whom the most: the landlord the neighbours, or the
neighbours the landlord. It sounds the adult equivalent of giving the
children of those one dislikes toy drums to play with.

Owain

Fishter

Hi David
In om you wrote:
Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

IME, a boxroom is a room with no windows. I've seen several rooms of this
kind described as bedrooms and actually rented out as such in student type
accommodation! Surprisingly there's not much of a discount for having no
window!

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
S Viemeister

Owain wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote
| Many years ago, I rented a flat which was unfurnished - except
| for a piano.

Hmmm. I wonder who hated whom the most: the landlord the neighbours, or the
neighbours the landlord. It sounds the adult equivalent of giving the
children of those one dislikes toy drums to play with.

It was an old building in the West End of Edinburgh - very thick walls,
high ceilings, and at the time, only partly residential. The only person
near enough to be bothered by the sound, enjoyed it so much, that when I
had piano-playing guests she left her door open so she could hear better.
Most of my friends were musicians.

Sheila
Martin Angove

In message ,
"dg" wrote:

The housing act lays down some standards - ie the minimum bedroom size for
a child under 10 is 50sq feet (4.65m2), and for an adult it is 70 sq feet
(6.51m2), but this is just for LA housing or rental accomodation.

This is based on the Parker-Morris review in the 60's, but the private
sector did not tend to adopt the size guides.

Just to hark back a few months, I asked for people on this ng to measure
their smallest bedrooms, added some from housebuilder brochures, and
posted a league table (thread: "Smallest (bed)rooms", July 2003)... here
are the bottom five:

max min age sqm
Richard Caley 2.40 1.96 100 4.70
Martin Angove 2.35 2.00 70 4.70
Mary Fisher 2.35 2.00 70 4.70
Wimpey Hereford 2.39 1.91 0 4.56
markiremonger 2.10 1.90 110 3.99

(max/min are dimensions in m, age is approx age of property).

The Wimpey Hereford is a house currently being built by the company.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/