Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reflective material for behind radiators

Hi everyone,
I`m redocorating the house, and have damaged some reflective material while
removing it from behind a radiator. It`s a foam type material with a foil
covering on one side, to reflect heat from the wall. IIRC when it was first
put there it did make a difference to the temperature in the room, so i`d
like to replace it. Any ideas for a cheap source of this stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I`m redocorating the house, and have damaged some reflective material
while removing it from behind a radiator. It`s a foam type material with
a foil covering on one side, to reflect heat from the wall. IIRC when it
was first put there it did make a difference to the temperature in the
room, so i`d like to replace it. Any ideas for a cheap source of this
stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The local pound shop for tinfoil ! That's all it is and it doesn't make
much difference behind a radiator. The foam part might act as an insulator.
I would look in B&Q for foam or polystyrene and local shops for tinfoil and
PVA glue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I`m redocorating the house, and have damaged some reflective material
while removing it from behind a radiator. It`s a foam type material
with a foil covering on one side, to reflect heat from the wall. IIRC when
it was first put there it did make a difference to the
temperature in the room, so i`d like to replace it. Any ideas for a
cheap source of this stuff?
Thanks in advance for your help!

You need to buy a roll of this.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10612/...-5m-X-5m-2-5m#

It's foam-backed foil, which you stick on the wall with heavy-duty wallpaper
paste. You may also be able to get it from some of the sheds and/or plumbers
merchants.

[If the link doesn't work, go to www.screwfix.com and type 10612 into th
search box]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I`m redocorating the house, and have damaged some reflective material
while removing it from behind a radiator. It`s a foam type material
with a foil covering on one side, to reflect heat from the wall. IIRC when
it was first put there it did make a difference to the
temperature in the room, so i`d like to replace it. Any ideas for a
cheap source of this stuff?
Thanks in advance for your help!

You need to buy a roll of this.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10612/...ries/Radiator-
Reflector-Foil-5m-X-5m-2-5m#

It's foam-backed foil, which you stick on the wall with heavy-duty wallpaper
paste. You may also be able to get it from some of the sheds and/or plumbers
merchants.

Course your only doing this on external walls with rads on aren't
you;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in message

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I`m redocorating the house, and have damaged some reflective material
while removing it from behind a radiator. It`s a foam type material with
a foil covering on one side, to reflect heat from the wall. IIRC when it
was first put there it did make a difference to the temperature in the
room, so i`d like to replace it. Any ideas for a cheap source of this
stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The local pound shop for tinfoil ! That's all it is and it doesn't make
much difference behind a radiator. The foam part might act as an
insulator. I would look in B&Q for foam or polystyrene and local shops for
tinfoil and PVA glue.

The foam backing seems to help - I remember that the room felt a bit warmer
after this stuff was used rather than plain foil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

Yes, but what is the damage doing it on an internal wall with a radiator on?
While I accept that any heat going into the wall is going towards heating
the room, why not try and heat the air as quickly as possible before warming
up large chunks of plasterboard, so the room feels warmer? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Simon Finnigan
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

Well suppose thats one way of looking at it;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Simon Finnigan
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

No i`m genuinely curious as to which would be more efficient, both in the
end result and for a quick heating of the room. Realistically any heating
of the wall past the surface is heating something that won`t directly warm
the room the wall is attached to, but would it then release this heat over a
period of time, keeping the room warmer than if the wall hadn`t been warmed.
And I mean by a meaningful amount, not by fractions of a degree :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:48:05 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I`m redocorating the house, and have damaged some reflective material
while removing it from behind a radiator. It`s a foam type material with
a foil covering on one side, to reflect heat from the wall. IIRC when it
was first put there it did make a difference to the temperature in the
room, so i`d like to replace it. Any ideas for a cheap source of this
stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The local pound shop for tinfoil ! That's all it is and it doesn't make
much difference behind a radiator. The foam part might act as an insulator.
I would look in B&Q for foam or polystyrene and local shops for tinfoil and
PVA glue.

I'm sure Screwfix have rolls of this in their catalogue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They sure do, with thanks to the other poster who pointed me in that
direction. Now got it delivered, and just waiting until I get round to
putting it in :-)