Ian Clowes

Default Irn-Bru stain removal?

DerekR wrote:
Anyone know the best way to remove a dried-in Irn-Bru stain from a rug?

Tried the old soap and hot water, didn't work.

Cheers.

Its made from girders, isn't it?

You'll probably need one of the stain shifters that works with ferrous
oxides.

IanC

Lee Blaver

Ian Clowes wrote:

DerekR wrote:

Anyone know the best way to remove a dried-in Irn-Bru stain from a rug?

Tried the old soap and hot water, didn't work.

Cheers.

Its made from girders, isn't it?

You'll probably need one of the stain shifters that works with ferrous
oxides.

IanC

Ok, doesen't help but the main colorants are Sunset Yellow and Ponceau,
which is a "... red synthetic coal tar and azo dye"

Hmm, good luck in trying to remove that stain then :-(

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

David Micklem

In article , Lee Blaver
wrote:

Ian Clowes wrote:

DerekR wrote:

Anyone know the best way to remove a dried-in Irn-Bru stain from a rug?

Tried the old soap and hot water, didn't work.

Cheers.

Its made from girders, isn't it?

You'll probably need one of the stain shifters that works with ferrous
oxides.

IanC

Ok, doesen't help but the main colorants are Sunset Yellow and Ponceau,
which is a "... red synthetic coal tar and azo dye"

Hmm, good luck in trying to remove that stain then :-(

Lee

Actually, Ponceau S (if thats what it is) is used quite a lot in
molecular biology labs because it is an easily _reversible_ protein
stain. Just washes out in water. Slightly acidic works better. And it
may stain rugs better than it stains proteins... Don't know about the
Sunset Yellow though!

David

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
Lee Blaver

David Micklem wrote:

Actually, Ponceau S (if thats what it is) is used quite a lot in
molecular biology labs because it is an easily _reversible_ protein
stain. Just washes out in water. Slightly acidic works better. And it
may stain rugs better than it stains proteins... Don't know about the
Sunset Yellow though!

David

It's Ponceau 4R, but it's been years since I did organic chemistry, so I
wouldn't have a clue if that makes a difference :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

David Micklem

In article , Lee Blaver
wrote:

David Micklem wrote:

Actually, Ponceau S (if thats what it is) is used quite a lot in
molecular biology labs because it is an easily _reversible_ protein
stain. Just washes out in water. Slightly acidic works better. And it
may stain rugs better than it stains proteins... Don't know about the
Sunset Yellow though!

David

It's Ponceau 4R, but it's been years since I did organic chemistry, so I
wouldn't have a clue if that makes a difference :-)

Oh well, me neither. As it happens I have an Irn-Bru stain of my own -
carefully dried in by an otherwise excellent lodger several _years_
ago. I might have a stab at it with vinegary water just in case its
similar enough to Ponceau S.

David

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

shaun

"DerekR" wrote in message
Anyone know the best way to remove a dried-in Irn-Bru stain from a rug?

Tried the old soap and hot water, didn't work.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturers of the drink and asking them?
I'm sure they must get asked this loads of times...

Josey

"shaun" wrote in message

Have you tried contacting the manufacturers of the drink and asking them?
I'm sure they must get asked this loads of times...

Or google, it's been asked before.

Jc,.

Removing wood stain ? Tenex UK diy 4 September 16th 03 11:56 AM
Gloss Paint Removal on Wooden Door Frame Adam Pj UK diy 1 September 3rd 03 12:41 PM
Sanded floorboards: to stain or not to stain? Frank W UK diy 6 August 20th 03 07:14 AM
Upholstery Stain Protection DG UK diy 4 July 14th 03 09:44 PM