Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Part L compliant light fittings

I am in the process of building an extension.

Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

It didnt appear to me that these had to be the *only* light fiitings
but that there had to be enough to light the room.

I have never seen or heard of such fittings. Have I got this right
and if so where do you get them and what sort of bulbs are available?

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Happy Xmas.

Nick
--
Nick Holmes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Holmes wrote:
Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

Thobut... don't CFT come with your fitting of choice? All mine
are bayonet fittings.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:44:10 GMT, Nick Holmes wrote:

I am in the process of building an extension.

Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

It didnt appear to me that these had to be the *only* light fiitings
but that there had to be enough to light the room.

I have never seen or heard of such fittings. Have I got this right
and if so where do you get them and what sort of bulbs are available?

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Change the light fittings for proper ones, and start to stockpile
suitable bulbs.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:44:10 GMT, Nick Holmes wrote:

I am in the process of building an extension.

Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

It didnt appear to me that these had to be the *only* light fiitings
but that there had to be enough to light the room.

I have never seen or heard of such fittings. Have I got this right
and if so where do you get them and what sort of bulbs are available?

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Change the light fittings for proper ones, and start to stockpile
suitable bulbs.

Like this
Crabtree Low Energy Pendant Set http://tinyurl.com/3aac9y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robert" wrote in message
Frank Erskine wrote:
[...]

Wow, that is a price and a halp for a pendant
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Holmes" wrote in message
I am in the process of building an extension.

Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

It didnt appear to me that these had to be the *only* light fiitings
but that there had to be enough to light the room.

I have never seen or heard of such fittings. Have I got this right
and if so where do you get them and what sort of bulbs are available?

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

Thanks for any help or advice.

New builds quite often use three pin bayonet fittings and the bulbs are
always CFT's and less easy/more expensive to get hold of
(eg http://tinyurl.com/2r2mdb )

No reason why you should follow suit though.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Mannix" writes:
New builds quite often use three pin bayonet fittings and the bulbs are
always CFT's and less easy/more expensive to get hold of
(eg http://tinyurl.com/2r2mdb )

Strange, I've never seen those used.

There's a company pushing their own lamp base which is a
modified GU10 or fluorescent starter base, with an extra bump
on it to make it incompatible with GU10 bulbs. Needless to say,
the bulbs are very much more expensive than identical ES or BC
compact fluorescents, and only available mail-order from
themselves, making their lights pretty useless.
In the US, there's a similar lamp base which is 1" in diameter
being pushed.

The other stupid thing about both these schemes is that if you
are designing a light fitting to take a compact fluorescent,
it's nuts to design a new integral ballasted CLF bulb. The
only reason for integral ballasted CLF bulbs is to retrofit
in place of filament lamps. If you design a CLF light fitting,
incorporate a separate ballast which isn't chucked out each
time the bulb dies, and use one of the very many standard
4-pin CFLs (or 2-pin CLFs with integral starter, at a pinch).

I have seen the pendants for 4-pin PL lamps used quite often
(see link posted by "auctions"). Research has shown most have
been removed within 6 months because people don't want to use
the lampshades available. It has been mentioned here that some
electricians keep a set of these which they install just to
get BCO approval, and then take back for their next job,
knowing the householder doesn't want them.

The problem is the very limited choice of well designed lights
designed to natively use compact fluorescents. Since I do want
to use CLF's, this has caused me to design and make many of my
own light fittings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 20, 3:44 pm, Nick Holmes wrote:
I am in the process of building an extension.

Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

It didnt appear to me that these had to be the *only* light fiitings
but that there had to be enough to light the room.

I have never seen or heard of such fittings. Have I got this right
and if so where do you get them and what sort of bulbs are available?

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Happy Xmas.

Nick
--
Nick Holmes

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=79597

We've just fitted these in a project. They make CFLs usuable - they
reach a sensible brightness almost immediately, and don't flicker on
start up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:01:11 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
" wrote
this:-

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=79597

We've just fitted these in a project. They make CFLs usuable - they
reach a sensible brightness almost immediately, and don't flicker on
start up.

Most of my CFLs reach a sensible brightness almost immediately, and
don't flicker on start up. They are all fitted to BC and ES fittings
of various sizes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Most of my CFLs reach a sensible brightness almost immediately, and
don't flicker on start up.

Ah, they're the new improved imaginary sort of CFL. That explains a
great deal. Meanwhile in a world where the sky is sometimes blue and has
a notable absence of pink and yellow polka dots CFL continue to take
around 15 minutes to reach "sensible" brightness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:44:10 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, Nick Holmes
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I am in the process of building an extension.

Looking at Part L regs they seem to require that lightfittings are
provided which cannot take conventional screw or bayonet fittings but
only a CFT (or fitting limited to xxlumens/watt).

It didnt appear to me that these had to be the *only* light fiitings
but that there had to be enough to light the room.

The requirement is for 1 in 4 such fittings, or at least 1 per 25m²
whichever is greater.

In practice, I suspect it might vary from BCS to BCS. This particular
BCS wouldn't normally give a stuff if they were normal bayonet
fittings or not on the basis that compact fluorescent bulbs are dirt
cheap, and that if special fittings were present when the completion
certificate was issued, that's no guarantee that a trip to B & Q and a
box of half-a-dozen ceiling roses wouldn't alter that situation within
hours of the ink drying.

I have never seen or heard of such fittings. Have I got this right
and if so where do you get them and what sort of bulbs are available?

They generally have different 'bayonet' fittings with three prongs
instead of two, or other such variations.

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

You may well ask that, I couldn't possibly comment.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:47:08 +0000, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost
wrote:

IIRC all bulbs will have to be 'low energy'/ higher efficiency anyway
by 2012 (or something like), what is the point of this requirement?

You may well ask that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Well here's my 3 euro cents worth.

AIUI, "Philip" found his "Gloeilampenfabriek" was losing money for him
so he shut it.

Noticing that he could make loadsamoney by importing CFL's made
cheaply in China he "used his influence" in the EU to have filament
lamps made illegal so that all the other "Gloeilampenfabrieks" in the
EU (his erstwhile competitors) would also have to shut and would not
be able to compete with his Chinese CFL's. Cool - Eh?

Damn, I've just noticed I answered a different question to the one
asked. However the actual answer wouldn't be much different. The names
and institutions might be different but the processes involved would
be the same.

Stet.

DG