Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi - any good?

Just seen this

Car power point
"This clever gadget generates mains power (230V AC) from a car's 12V DC
'cigarette lighter' socket. It's ideal for charging power tool batteries,
digital cameras, mobile phones and powering laptops too.

a.. Aluminium construction
b.. USB port
c.. Power output: 150 watts
d.. Sits easily in cup holder"
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4477.htm

Interesting since I'm thinking of getting one of those small Li Ion drivers,
but they have a built in single battery. If I could recharge on the move
between jobs it would be fine.

Cheap enough for £15?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Just seen this

Car power point
"This clever gadget generates mains power (230V AC) from a car's 12V DC
'cigarette lighter' socket. It's ideal for charging power tool batteries,
digital cameras, mobile phones and powering laptops too.

a.. Aluminium construction
b.. USB port
c.. Power output: 150 watts
d.. Sits easily in cup holder"
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4477.htm

Interesting since I'm thinking of getting one of those small Li Ion
drivers, but they have a built in single battery. If I could recharge on
the move between jobs it would be fine.

Cheap enough for £15?

You can swap the cupholder size for another 50W for the same price and buy
on-line:

http://www.pc-media.co.uk/shop/index...oducts_id=1825

for example

Amazon also did one but are out of stock.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-19 00:34:19 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

No. Terrible place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just seen this

Car power point
"This clever gadget generates mains power (230V AC) from a car's 12V DC
'cigarette lighter' socket. It's ideal for charging power tool batteries,
digital cameras, mobile phones and powering laptops too.

a.. Aluminium construction
b.. USB port
c.. Power output: 150 watts
d.. Sits easily in cup holder"
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4477.htm

Interesting since I'm thinking of getting one of those small Li Ion
drivers, but they have a built in single battery. If I could recharge
on the move between jobs it would be fine.

Cheap enough for £15?

Could be, but since you're presumably talking about your van why not just
install an ordinary but larger inverter with a few 13 amp sockets so you
can recharge a few tools at once?

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Just seen this

Car power point
"This clever gadget generates mains power (230V AC) from a car's 12V DC
'cigarette lighter' socket. It's ideal for charging power tool batteries,
digital cameras, mobile phones and powering laptops too.

a.. Aluminium construction
b.. USB port
c.. Power output: 150 watts
d.. Sits easily in cup holder"
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4477.htm

Interesting since I'm thinking of getting one of those small Li Ion
drivers, but they have a built in single battery. If I could recharge on
the move between jobs it would be fine.

Cheap enough for £15?

I got one last year and run a laptop off, it and have used it to charge
mobile phone, psp with their respective mains chargers, so certainly works
for me

I think you will find it has a 3 year warranty (thats if you can find the
receipt after a week!)

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just seen this

Car power point
"This clever gadget generates mains power (230V AC) from a car's 12V DC
'cigarette lighter' socket. It's ideal for charging power tool batteries,
digital cameras, mobile phones and powering laptops too.

a.. Aluminium construction
b.. USB port
c.. Power output: 150 watts
d.. Sits easily in cup holder"
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4477.htm

Interesting since I'm thinking of getting one of those small Li Ion drivers,
but they have a built in single battery. If I could recharge on the move
between jobs it would be fine.

Cheap enough for £15?

Aldi are very good about returns and as they only have small quantities
in each store, returning faulty goods usually gets you you money back.

Most of their stuff I would place at the better end of the cheap and
nasty market but backed with 3 year warranty on most of it.

Inverters like this do not produce the nice clean sinewaves that come
from the mains. They are either square wave witht he corners knocked off
enough to meet interference regulations or staircase waveform
appoximating to a sine wave.
Some of the things you plug in will be tolerant of these non sinusoidal
sources. Generally these will not have transformers in them. So if the
charger you plan to use is quite light weight and yet relatively
powerful eg 1 hour charge or better you are possibly OK. If it is heavy
and has a lump of iron in it and maybe buzzes a bit when plugged into a
wall socket it has a transformer in it and maybe it will run hot or
unhappily on a cheap inverter.
That said at £15 and with the ability to return it for cash after the
last one has been sold, You can't really go wrong.

I would expect that it will only develop 150W into a resistive load for
less than 100% duty cycle. Your application will not need 150W though.

Bob

Aldi Sat Nav for £150 SoWeezy UK diy 0 May 20th 06 09:57 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 mrcheerful UK diy 0 May 20th 06 07:37 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 Grumps UK diy 2 May 19th 06 07:49 PM
Aldi petrol hedge trimmer: any good? Andy Mabbett UK diy 5 March 20th 06 11:03 AM
This coming weeks Aldi specials - air compressor any good? Francis UK diy 28 March 25th 04 07:30 PM