Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage foundations.

I have planning permission to build a double garage in my garden and I
am looking for some advice regarding the foundations.

I am hoping to get away with a 1M deep strip foundation but there is a
hedge on one side so I assume I will need to go a bit deeper on this side.

The bigger issue, though, is that a sewer pipe run under where the
garage is to be built and this will likely clash with the foundation
concrete. I would rather not move the sewer pipe. What are my options?

Can I run the foundation concrete round the pipe if I somehow line the
outside of the pipe so as to leave a gap for the pipe to move within the
concrete? Would this be allowed and would this work? I know I have to
get the building inspector involved at some stage but I want to do a bit
of research first.

If this is not possible then can I build a raft foundation slab instead
and build the garage in this slab?

Or what other options do I have?

Thanks, Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 18 Dec, 17:30, "Ashnook." contact.by.email"
wrote:
[...]

Does this garage require Building Regs approval?

If not a shallow trench or a raft would suffice. A raft may be better
to overcome the drain problem

If it requires approval, then your options are more limited. But
generally, you would bridge over the drain, and would take the
foundations down to a teast the invert level or 1000mm.

If the drain is a public sewer, then you also need your water
authority's permission

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I don't know if it required building regs approval, I just assumed it
would.

Bridging over the drain means having no foundation concrete under the
sewer at that point?

It's a sewer pipe from some adjacent bungalows that runs across my land.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:29:24 +0000, a particular chimpanzee,
"Ashnook." contact.by.email" randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

I don't know if it required building regs approval, I just assumed it
would.

If it's detached, less than 30m², and either substantially
non-combustible or more than 1m from any boundary, then it's exempt
from the Building Regulations.

Bridging over the drain means having no foundation concrete under the
sewer at that point?

No. You have to continue the foundation under the pipe. See Diagram
7 of Approved Document H
(http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...000000382.html)

It's a sewer pipe from some adjacent bungalows that runs across my land.

That doesn't make it a public sewer. If it's a drain serving more
than one property which was in place before 1937, then it's a de-facto
public sewer. Otherwise it has to be adopted and shown on the Public
Map of Sewers. If it is a public sewer, then you will need the Water
Company's permission to build over irrespective of whether you need
Building Regulations or not.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

Thanks Hugo, very helpful.

removing old foundations sm_jamieson UK diy 7 September 17th 07 11:21 AM
Foundations basics Andrew Welham UK diy 8 October 25th 06 07:36 PM
Foundations Lawrence Zarb UK diy 1 August 23rd 06 05:55 PM
re-use concrete foundations? [email protected] UK diy 2 June 27th 06 09:39 AM
easier dig 2m foundations [email protected] UK diy 6 November 29th 05 10:56 PM