Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help smoothing a poorly laid base

Ok, hands up I messed up. I laid a concrete base for my shed yesterday,
no trouble getting it level, but tamping did not smooth it very well.
One of 2 causes, or maybe a combination of both. I had to mix the
concrete myself, which took over 4 hours, so the first part was probably
going off, secondly I realised after a while that the mix was too dry.
Anyway what is the best way of smoothing it, so that I can seal and
paint later? A strong mortar mix, or self levelling compound maybe? The
base is approximately 3 X 2.5 meters. TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Ok, hands up I messed up. I laid a concrete base for my shed yesterday,
no trouble getting it level, but tamping did not smooth it very well.
One of 2 causes, or maybe a combination of both. I had to mix the
concrete myself, which took over 4 hours, so the first part was probably
going off, secondly I realised after a while that the mix was too dry.
Anyway what is the best way of smoothing it, so that I can seal and
paint later? A strong mortar mix, or self levelling compound maybe? The
base is approximately 3 X 2.5 meters. TIA

Self-levelling compound wouldn't be much cop as it's not intended to be
walked on (assuming that's the intention here) - the instructions
usually advise you to lay the floor covering PDQ after it's been laid.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 18 Dec, 11:21, Broadback wrote:
Ok, hands up I messed up. I laid a concrete base for my shed yesterday,
no trouble getting it level, but tamping did not smooth it very well.
One of 2 causes, or maybe a combination of both. I had to mix the
concrete myself, which took over 4 hours, so the first part was probably
going off, secondly I realised after a while that the mix was too dry.
Anyway what is the best way of smoothing it, so that I can seal and
paint later? A strong mortar mix, or self levelling compound maybe? The
base is approximately 3 X 2.5 meters. TIA

It may be still relatively soft, so you may be able to grind a bit of
the surface away with just a [engineering] brick used in a circular
scrubbing motion to get some of the high spots out.

Otherwise, self leveling may be the best bet - but try and work a bit
faster this time lol ;o)

dg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Broadback
writes
Ok, hands up I messed up. I laid a concrete base for my shed yesterday,
no trouble getting it level, but tamping did not smooth it very well.
One of 2 causes, or maybe a combination of both. I had to mix the
concrete myself, which took over 4 hours, so the first part was probably
going off, secondly I realised after a while that the mix was too dry.
Anyway what is the best way of smoothing it, so that I can seal and
paint later? A strong mortar mix, or self levelling compound maybe? The
base is approximately 3 X 2.5 meters. TIA

9" angle grinder with (number of) stone disk(s)? It would take a while,
probably a day. I saw it done for a pretentious exteriors programme but
it did look pretty good when it was done, sold as a polished concrete
finish.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Ok, hands up I messed up. I laid a concrete base for my shed yesterday, no
trouble getting it level, but tamping did not smooth it very well. One of
2 causes, or maybe a combination of both. I had to mix the concrete
myself, which took over 4 hours, so the first part was probably going off,
secondly I realised after a while that the mix was too dry.
Anyway what is the best way of smoothing it, so that I can seal and paint
later? A strong mortar mix, or self levelling compound maybe? The base is
approximately 3 X 2.5 meters. TIA

Presumbably you made some sort of shuttering to frame the base. Could this
be raised up an inch or so then you have another go with the concrete. I'd
suggest 10mm shingle with sand so that the stones can be lost below the
surface.
It's a lot less volume so you should be able to control it ok.

mark

Hardinge lathe, poorly advertised [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 25th 06 02:24 PM
Is it normal to come down poorly after a move? MM UK diy 7 January 21st 05 12:45 PM
Poorly door seal imyourboss Home Repair 1 December 6th 04 06:10 PM
poorly door seal imyourboss UK diy 1 December 6th 04 05:53 PM
Roughing Gouges - Poorly Designed? George Woodturning 6 July 14th 03 11:59 PM