Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Maintenance Contracts

We had a Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed nearly 2 years ago. The
initial cost included 2 years warrantee and servicing. This runs out in Jan
next year and they are asking £195/year to renew the maintenance contract.
Generally on things like washing machines I never take out those extended
warrantees but I'm a bit undecided about the boiler. I can take the cover of
myself and vacuum the dust out but that's about all. It's nice to have the
peace of mind but £195 seems a bit steep to me (especially at this time of
year when money is short).

I'd just welcome some other opinions please.

Ta,
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"Nodge" wrote in message
We had a Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed nearly 2 years ago. The
initial cost included 2 years warrantee and servicing. This runs out in

Jan
next year and they are asking £195/year to renew the maintenance contract.
Generally on things like washing machines I never take out those extended
warrantees but I'm a bit undecided about the boiler. I can take the cover

of
myself and vacuum the dust out but that's about all. It's nice to have the
peace of mind but £195 seems a bit steep to me (especially at this time of
year when money is short).

I'd just welcome some other opinions please.

Sounds high to me. For that money I would expect the whole heating system to
be covered.

I would get a quote for an annual service from a recommended local gas
fitter.
Say £75-£100.

Then if your boiler breaks down every 4 years (unlikely?) you'd have to pay
around £400 per time before you've paid more than your maintenance contract
would have cost.

Of course, if you're always short of cash you won't have the £400 when it
comes down to it, that would have been spent!

Alternatively - is breakdown insurance available on boilers like it is on
white goods?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PM" wrote in message

"Nodge" wrote in message
[...]

I have just taken out entire CH cover, boiler, rads, pipes, HW cyl, pump etc
etc with Powergen for £13 pm (£156 per annum). Other gas / electricity
providers also offer a similar cover. Think British gas now offer a service
where they will fix your problem for a fixed fee.